PDA

View Full Version : Stop Gap Possibilities?

patmoran2006
02-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Looking for opinions from the board on a couple of players.
They would be stop-gap solutions. In some cases, I dont mind stop gaps, as it gives your younger player more time to develop into a starter at the NFL level, and the stop-gap player comes cheaper than someone who would demand a 5-6 year deal.

Guard: I've read a lot rumors coming out of St. Louis that the team might release Adam Timmerman at guard for money reasons. Now if people think Merz would be a good starter in due time, this perhaps could be an excellent pickup for the Bills. Or if say they dont resign "Mediocre" Mike Gandy.

DT: Maybe Kyle Williams needs more time to excel at the NFL level. CErtainly John McCargo does. HOw would you feel about us signing a MIke Myers (Den) or Hollis THomas to play some DT for us?

Im on the fence about the FA DT thing, but I'm all for spending the money to get much, much better interior OL play. Because until we run the ball more consistently and protect JP up the middle in pass situations, we are simply not going to win 10-11 games it takes to get into the playoffs.

Saratoga Slim
02-21-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm OK with signing a bigger, elder FA DT to rotate with Kyle Williams. Considering the Triplett signing and McCargo/Williams draft picks of last year, that might be more palatable than using another early round pick on DT.

However, I'd really like to see us pick up one very good talent on the OL, whether it be an early round draftee or Steinbach/Dielman/Dockery. If we could add one legitimate talent in that manner, I'm fine letting Pennington/Butler/Merz and possibly Gandy compete for whatever's left. I can't get that thrilled about Timmerman.