PDA

View Full Version : According to our new "cap" philosophy

patmoran2006
02-21-2007, 03:41 PM
the Dolphins just resigned Vonnie Holliday to a 4 year, 20 million dollar deal. He's going to make 7 million in his first season. Kelsay, who is five years younger, will get a deal for at least that much if not more.

So according to Marv's stated philosophy, if we are to resign Chris Kelsay, to a deal similar to Holliday's (he'll get at least that much) then we are going to use like 25% of our "available" salary cap room on resigning Chris ****ing Kelsay??

Forget about this team being a contender next year. Too many young players we already have to count on, and too many holes that still need to be filled. Guess it will be what, eight years running now without the playoffs.

HOMER ALERT: YES, the Sky is indeed falling.. I wonder why though.

* We haven't made the playoffs in seven years
* We have one (Yes, ONE) winning season in the past seven years
* We have won 10 games or more exactly.. umm ZERO times during that span
* We're 46-67 over the past 7 years.
* For those mathematically challenged, that's 21 games under .500
* Everybody makes fun of the Bengals of the 1990's. Guess what, we're barely any better. The Bengals won only 32.5% of the games that decade. We're at a ohhh so much better 39.1% clip.

But best of all.
* We finally develop a young QB, get a couple of nice young players around him, get into position with the third most cap room in the entire NFL-- and instead of making noise and showing the fans they're serious about contending, they let their two best FA's walk, and literally announce our "cash against cap" philosophy, in which I just explained we'd use almost a quarter of that cap space to resign a one-dimensional defensive end. If it aint Kelsay, it will be someone just like him.

This team is coming away with next to nothing in free agency, and for at least another 2+ years while we continue to draft away, it will result in yet more mediocre football. But let's raise ticket prices, regardless if its still the cheapest ticket in the NFL. I mean, I guess the drop in attendance the second half of last season was a prank or something to Wilson.

HOpe you fans who live here in Buffalo have or plan on getting season tickets, its the only way you'll be seeing them play this season once week four rolls around.

Dr. Lecter
02-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Can we wait for FA to start before we panic?

OpIv37
02-21-2007, 03:44 PM
I agree with everything except letting Clements and Fletcher walk. Clements isn't worth the money and we need someone younger to take Fletcher's place.

patmoran2006
02-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Panic? I showed a DEMONSTRATION going by EXACTLY what Marv said with the cap philosophy.

If this club was to sign Vonnie Holliday to the same exact contract Miami just signed him too, he would take up close to 25% of our salary cap spendings.. ONE player, a player who's only a mid-level guy at best.

Thats not panic.. Its reality.

Devin
Its been said a few times that Kelsay may get a deal in that ball park. With a thin market he could get as much as 7-10 mil up front.

I never thought id see the day.

OpIv37
Can we wait for FA to start before we panic?

good point, but right now the only Bills-related news is Marv's press conference, and what he said was less than encouraging.

patmoran2006
02-21-2007, 03:46 PM
I agree with everything except letting Clements and Fletcher walk. Clements isn't worth the money and we need someone younger to take Fletcher's place.
By letting them walk, I meant letting them walk and instead of replacing them with similar talent, they will replace them with bargain basement FA's, rookie draft picks or second year wet-behind-the-ear guys like Ellison and Youboty.

Did I mention that there is a decent chance that Ellison will be needed to replace Spikes as well?

BillsNick
02-21-2007, 03:48 PM
God, these threads are getting out of hand. :cynic:

raphael120
02-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Alright, Marv...lets get some of the draft magic you worked up when you were the head coach of the bills.....NOW!

X-Era
02-21-2007, 03:52 PM
the Dolphins just resigned Vonnie Holliday to a 4 year, 20 million dollar deal. He's going to make 7 million in his first season. Kelsay, who is five years younger, will get a deal for at least that much if not more.

So according to Marv's stated philosophy, if we are to resign Chris Kelsay, to a deal similar to Holliday's (he'll get at least that much) then we are going to use like 25% of our "available" salary cap room on resigning Chris ****ing Kelsay??

Forget about this team being a contender next year. Too many young players we already have to count on, and too many holes that still need to be filled. Guess it will be what, eight years running now without the playoffs.

HOMER ALERT: YES, the Sky is indeed falling.. I wonder why though.

* We haven't made the playoffs in seven years
* We have one (Yes, ONE) winning season in the past seven years
* We have won 10 games or more exactly.. umm ZERO times during that span
* We're 46-67 over the past 7 years.
* For those mathematically challenged, that's 21 games under .500
* Everybody makes fun of the Bengals of the 1990's. Guess what, we're barely any better. The Bengals won only 32.5% of the games that decade. We're at a ohhh so much better 39.1% clip.

But best of all.
* We finally develop a young QB, get a couple of nice young players around him, get into position with the third most cap room in the entire NFL-- and instead of making noise and showing the fans they're serious about contending, they let their two best FA's walk, and literally announce our "cash against cap" philosophy, in which I just explained we'd use almost a quarter of that cap space to resign a one-dimensional defensive end. If it aint Kelsay, it will be someone just like him.

This team is coming away with next to nothing in free agency, and for at least another 2+ years while we continue to draft away, it will result in yet more mediocre football. But let's raise ticket prices, regardless if its still the cheapest ticket in the NFL. I mean, I guess the drop in attendance the second half of last season was a prank or something to Wilson.

HOpe you fans who live here in Buffalo have or plan on getting season tickets, its the only way you'll be seeing them play this season once week four rolls around.

Didnt we go 5 and 4 after the break with the same team we have now?

Doesnt that end up being a playoff record over an ENTIRE year? Didnt we lose by 1 point to the world champs? Didnt we lose by 3 to SD? Didnt we shutout Miami?

This is with NO upgrades and a crappy o-line. All we need to do is find an adequate replacement for Clements and Fletcher, and upgrade from Preston/Gandy and we are better than last year. Whats that buy us, 1 more win? OK, so then we go from a 56% of the time winning team which is a 9 and 7 record to 10 wins and a sure fire playoff team.

We need 3 players, count em 3. Lose Kelsay and you could argue maybe 4. 2 decent starters could easily come from the draft, and at least one more can come from FA. Its not all doom and gloom.

Your arguement is valid and holds water, I can see why your frustrated, but we have no reason to expect to get worse from here at this point.

patmoran2006
02-21-2007, 03:56 PM
for starters, replacing Clements and Fletcher is a lot easier said than done. LIke him or not, Clements is a top seven corner in this league and sure as hell his play wont' be equaled by Youboty or even worse, a rookie.

Like Fletcher or not, he's been in the top five in the NFL in tackles almost every season. HE had four interceptions this season, which I'm pretty sure led the team, and he scored two touchdowns. He's a warrior. While he's not the best MLB in football, he's a lot better than anything we have to replace him or yet ANOTHER rookie defensive starter through the draft.

I can handle losing our two best defensive players (well maybe 2 of 3, Schobel is the bomb). But we are going to REGRESS at least for the coming season if we replace them with rookies and/or cheap Free Agents.

And if the sky is falling in my eyes, then I apologize.. BUt as stated before, Im SICK of the losing, the excuses and everything else.. 7 years running of pure unadultered mediocrity.

At the end of last season, I was hopeful.. Good young QB, unbelievably good salary cap position to go out and get Losman a real ****ing OL so he can blossom.. BUt nope, we're going to protect our investment in Losman by starting a seventh round RT and god only knows who will play RG.

raphael120
02-21-2007, 04:04 PM
FA starts in March, Chicken Little...let's wait til then

X-Era
02-21-2007, 04:38 PM
for starters, replacing Clements and Fletcher is a lot easier said than done. LIke him or not, Clements is a top seven corner in this league and sure as hell his play wont' be equaled by Youboty or even worse, a rookie.

Like Fletcher or not, he's been in the top five in the NFL in tackles almost every season. HE had four interceptions this season, which I'm pretty sure led the team, and he scored two touchdowns. He's a warrior. While he's not the best MLB in football, he's a lot better than anything we have to replace him or yet ANOTHER rookie defensive starter through the draft.

I can handle losing our two best defensive players (well maybe 2 of 3, Schobel is the bomb). But we are going to REGRESS at least for the coming season if we replace them with rookies and/or cheap Free Agents.

And if the sky is falling in my eyes, then I apologize.. BUt as stated before, Im SICK of the losing, the excuses and everything else.. 7 years running of pure unadultered mediocrity.

At the end of last season, I was hopeful.. Good young QB, unbelievably good salary cap position to go out and get Losman a real ****ing OL so he can blossom.. BUt nope, we're going to protect our investment in Losman by starting a seventh round RT and god only knows who will play RG.

Agree on Clements, it will be our biggest loss. But many teams have a loss. As I said before, NE lost Law and Milloy. They had a joke of a secondary and never lost a step. It may be more a matter of losing in one position but gaining in others. If we lose Clements and cant replace him with a quality CB, we would be worse in that one position. But, no one here felt like he was top 7 for most of the year. Id be happy with an average CB to be honest, a 1st rounder like Hall would be great, but we could get better at other spots and settle for average.

On Fletch, as weve all said, hes a liability against the run unless he has walls in front of him. Our scheme is such that he wont, and teams were burning us. Now, he can tackle, but is it before the guy gets yards? often not. He can stay or go IMO. I think the big point that many miss is that we get Crowell back. Fletch, Ellison was what we had, is Crowell, Ellison that much worse? I think Crowell is actually better against the run than Fletch. BTW, that all assumes we do NOTHING at LB in the draft. Yet Marv told us that LB is very important to him, a clear sign that we may be starting a young draft pick. Guys like Puz, Willis, and even Buster Davis help us day one and may be better against the run than Fletch.

I guess my point, or at least what I hope for, is one step back at CB, maybe 2 steps forward at LB, and OL, maybe even DL which means better overall talent and maybe more wins.

jamze132
02-22-2007, 06:31 AM
God, these threads are getting out of hand. :cynic:
I would rather have herpes.