• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Tampa 2 defense re-visit

Here is the so called 5 commandmends of Tempa 2 defnese from an SI article

1. The front four must be able to rush the quarterback, because that allows the linebackers freedom. "If you get four men who can rush the passer, you can play Cover Two, Tampa Two, all day," says Jack Ham, Pittsburgh's Hall of Fame outside linebacker. "But you can't play it without a pass rush. It's a zone defense, and there are lots of holes if the quarterback can sit back and wait." The Steelers applied the rush with Joe Greene and L.C. Greenwood, the Buccaneers with Warren Sapp and Simeon Rice; the Bears are doing it with Tommie Harris, Alex Brown and a deep posse of solid defensive linemen. (Here Carroll adds, "Any defense works a lot better when you pressure the quarterback.")

2. The middle linebacker must be able and willing to drop deep into coverage, filling the crossing zone between the safeties and leaving the glamour plays to the outside linebackers or the nickelback. "My primary purpose in that defense," says Urlacher, "is to run back to the huddle and congratulate somebody for making a play while I was running down the field with the tight end."

In truth, Urlacher has redefined the role played by Lambert, Del Rio and Tampa Bay's Shelton Quarles. At 6'4" and 258 pounds but with the speed of a running back (he was a college safety at New Mexico), Urlacher sits on the line of scrimmage longer than most Tampa Two middle linebackers, allowing him to read running plays before bailing out. Yet he is still able to drop 30 yards into coverage and disrupt pass plays. "He's a freak," says Chicago quarterback Rex Grossman. "Trust me, I play against him every day, and I test him. You can't throw over him in the middle."

3. The outside linebackers must be smart and athletic enough to cover receivers in the middle zone or rally to runs at the line of scrimmage. "You're not looking for your old-fashioned linebacker who makes tackles in a phone booth," says Dungy. "You're looking for an open-field tackler and athlete." They also have to jam tight ends and slot receivers to keep them from releasing into the middle zone vacated by the dropping middle linebacker.

4. The cornerbacks must be physical enough to jam wideouts at the line and also tackle ballcarriers. In Tampa Two the corners are not expected to run down the field with receivers but rather to disrupt them and pass them along to the safeties. "One of the big reasons Tampa Two developed was to take pressure off the corners in terms of coverage," says ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback Ron Jaworski.

Yet disruption is vital. "Our job is to get our hands on the receiver and knock him off his route," says Bears cornerback Charles Tillman. "That little bit of a bump can change the whole play." Mel Blount, the Steelers' 6'3", 205-pound Hall of Famer, was the prototype in the '70s. It's hard to imagine a more perfect Tampa Two corner.

5. The safeties must be smart and quick enough to break properly on balls in the air and physical enough to create -- and survive -- violent collisions with wide receivers or backs after running as much as 25 yards from a deep starting position. "This defense is the reason you see so many penalties on safeties like [the Broncos'] John Lynch," says Ham. "They're out there to create collisions."

Now lets match them against the Bills. I have no doubt Jauron and Co. want to round out their defense this year.

They filled a big void in safeties from last year's draft - remember they started out with none capable in this defense.

They found out that the corners are inadequate - they had to change it up to play Clements man up in the 2nd half, and McGee struggled almost all year with this defense. They did drafted Yubody in the 3rd last year but clearly help is needed. Clements is an UFA. I'm not sure they will go all out to pursue someone who is not exactly a perfect fit for Tampa 2 corners. My guess is that they will draft one and sign one in FA.

They had mixed results from the outside linebacker positions. The good news is that they found Ellison who proved to be a perfect fit in this system. The none news is Crowell performed adequately. The bad news is that TKO, who would be in a perfect spot, had a bad showing the whole year, mainly due to injury and no one knows he can ever recover completely.

They found out the MLB, in which the article on a side column stated is the most important position of this defense, is not adequate. Fletcher made a lot of tackles, but he didn't prevent offense from completing passes in the middle, and he did not stick RB's for short gains up front (not attacking). They have to find a premium or near premium guy here.

They found out the front 4 played adequate, but far from dominating. They need to have more sacks and pressure from the tackle positions and more stout against the run - again from the tackle positions. They had the forsight to draft McCargo but he was injured most of the year for them to have any feel about him.

Looking from this perspective, MLB is the biggest need. CB and DT are tied in second as a need.
  • Talk0fNewYork
    ~ I Can't Feel My Face ~
    • Jan 2007

Re: Tampa 2 defense re-visit

Youboty is just as good as any CB we can draft this year. Youboty has everything you could want from a Cover 2 corner. Just give him time.

Comment

• Talk0fNewYork
      ~ I Can't Feel My Face ~
      • Jan 2007

Career Notes:
      Is one of the top cover corners in college football ... began last year as a backup to Dustin Fox, but moved into the starting lineup after Fox suffered a broken arm against Marshall in the second game of the season ... was a starter the rest of the way, moving to the other side when Fox returned ... made tremendous strides throughout the course of the season and was playing as well as any cornerback in the Big Ten at the end of the year ... evolved into a player that teams rarely tested late in the season ... played Michigan All-American Braylon Edwards to a draw in the fourth quarter of last year's game ... had an interception, four passes broken up and three tackles against the Wolverines ... has great ball skills and is a very intelligent player ... tested everyday in practice by the likes of speedsters Santonio Holmes, Anthony Gonzalez and Ted Ginn, but rarely gets beat deep ... can also return punts ... is of Liberian descent.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Talk0fNewYork
        Youboty is just as good as any CB we can draft this year. Youboty has everything you could want from a Cover 2 corner. Just give him time.
        I do agree that drafting another CB high when we've got Youboty would be silly. Look at it this way, if he wasn't already on our roster, and was a prospect in this year's draft, he'd be a good pick in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. He hasn't played enough to convinve me otherwise.
        Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

I totally agree that why draft someone if he's not better than what you already got is a real good philosophy.
          That's majorly why I"m not on board with drafting a CB in round one. I dont' see any CB coming out who is already better than Youboty.
          Okoye is probably going to be a stud, but is he better than McCargo and Kyle Williams? Well, maybe.
          Patrick Willis is better than Ellison at LB, which would enable Crowell to stay on the outside.
          Carriker or Johnson IMO are better than any DE we got, especially if we don't resign Kelsay (whom I cant stand and hope doesnt come back)
          Levi Brown is or will be better than Pennington, but I don't think he will be there at 12.
          So going by that logic: I'm really thinking the pick is going to come down to WIllis or a DE (Johnson or Carriker)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
            Legendary Zoner
            • Jul 2002

We lose our starting CB and our starting nickle back. So, at the time that we draft, in all likelihood the top CB in the draft will still be available. Our great pick from last year, who couldn't even make special teams, is better than the best CB coming out?

You guys need to get your heads examined.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              I totally agree that why draft someone if he's not better than what you already got is a real good philosophy.
              That's majorly why I"m not on board with drafting a CB in round one. I dont' see any CB coming out who is already better than Youboty.
              Okoye is probably going to be a stud, but is he better than McCargo and Kyle Williams? Well, maybe.
              Patrick Willis is better than Ellison at LB, which would enable Crowell to stay on the outside.
              Carriker or Johnson IMO are better than any DE we got, especially if we don't resign Kelsay (whom I cant stand and hope doesnt come back)
              Levi Brown is or will be better than Pennington, but I don't think he will be there at 12.
              So going by that logic: I'm really thinking the pick is going to come down to WIllis or a DE (Johnson or Carriker)

Please edit!!!!!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

why?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

C2 = bend but don't break.

Comment

• Luisito23
                    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                    • Apr 2003

I hate the Tampa scheme!! ...I rather have our 3-4 back....I just don't think that this team is talented enough on defense to succeed just yet, and with the possible loss of a couple of veterans I think it's going to get worst and worst...Unless we draft Willis of course...Please Marv don't let us down.......

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!
                    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Talk0fNewYork
                      ~ I Can't Feel My Face ~
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                      We lose our starting CB and our starting nickle back. So, at the time that we draft, in all likelihood the top CB in the draft will still be available. Our great pick from last year, who couldn't even make special teams, is better than the best CB coming out?

You guys need to get your heads examined.
                      Mcgee has looked better than Clements at times, youboty is more proven than any other CB we could draft, it's a ******ed pick!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Youboty hasn't proven that he can put his jock strap on right.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Not thrilled with the Cover 2 myself. It showed how vurnerable it is to stopping the run. Last I checked, stopping the run is Job #1 on D.

I caught both Jauron and Fewell saying they needed to get stronger up the middle this off-season. That seems to indicate more size at the 1 gap and a MLB who attacks the hole.

It seems very wrong that a MLBs' primary job is to cover the deep seam, rather than to stuff the run.

Hardly any pressure on the QB and an inability to consistently stop the run. I wonder how long the Bills can stay loyal to this ? Jauron can't let it cost him his job.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

And you suggest giving him time to prove himself when exactly? Also it was widely known last year that even though Youboty played on ST he was not 100%, so one should not expect him to play on D and be a liability. Go back and read the articles.
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• mysticsoto
                              Too sober for this...
                              • Apr 2004

Nor has he proven that he can't. Truth of the matter is, we haven't seen him so we don't know. However, Marv, Jauron and company have seen him and are in a better position to judge what he can and cannot do at this point. By the way, there is no guarantee that a rookie will come in and do any better than Youboty - especially considering this is sort of a weak class of CBs...

Comment

Working...
                              X