• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Marv Levy- Til Death due us part?

I love Marv Levy to death, I really do. But at what point in age do you think people start to lose their edge? I mean, is it really plausible to assume he can still out-think, out manuever and take on the hustle and bustle that's required to be a great GM when his peers are usually 30 even 40 years his junior?

Again, no disprespect to Marv, but he is 81 years old. Most 81 year old people I know cant even wipe their own ass.

I don't see how he lasts (as GM) more than another 2 or so years. Is he going to die as GM of the BIlls?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Re: Marv Levy- Til Death due us part?

Who cares. The man can stay here after he dies if he wants as long as we keep getting better.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

I care..
      Because if something happens to him, and not to be cynical but once you hit 81 that can happen at anytime, and much more likely than someone decades your junior---------- then we have to start over AGAIN from the GM spot down.

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        I care..
        Because if something happens to him, and not to be cynical but once you hit 81 that can happen at anytime, and much more likely than someone decades your junior---------- then we have to start over AGAIN from the GM spot down.
        It can happen at any age. What's the difference if he is replaced tommorow or three years down the road as long as he is getting it done while he's here.

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

If you listen to him, he's still very sharp. He speaks better than 90% of the GMs out there. Just because he doesn;t put alot of time into the cap, doesn't mean he is clueless or losing it.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

I hope not, cause he's one of my hero's and the last thing I want him to become is old and senile to the point that he's on the podium and forgets where he is and craps himself

Comment

• Captain Obvious
              I can feel your anger.I can feel your hate. Give in to the DARK SIDE! With every neg you become MINE
              • Jul 2005

Is it possible Tom Modrak does most of the "dirty" work..and Marv is just a figurehead guiding the ship?

Here to point out the obvious....

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

If that is indeed the case, and it very well may be.. Then why not just have Modrak be the GM and let marv do some official team charity work or something..

If the ideal was "selling" the fans on the winning tradition with LEvy in charge; someone forgot to tell the fans during the later half of the season when home games were blacked out four consecutive times; in the midst of a wildcard "run"

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                  Roways rooking ahread!
                  • Sep 2005

Keep the geritol flowing and they will keep going.

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

Levy is very smart and sharp as a tack. He's not going to spend time on things that are a waste of his time.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

I love Marv Levy to death, I really do. But at what point in age do you think people start to lose their edge? I mean, is it really plausible to assume he can still out-think, out manuever and take on the hustle and bustle that's required to be a great GM when his peers are usually 30 even 40 years his junior?

Again, no disprespect to Marv, but he is 81 years old. Most 81 year old people I know cant even wipe their own ass.

I don't see how he lasts (as GM) more than another 2 or so years. Is he going to die as GM of the BIlls?
                      I said this the minute he was hired. He has 3 years to win it, and then will retire due to the rigors of the job. This was a bad choice IMO because this team was not in position to win in 3 years, so as you've said we'll have to get another GM in 2 years, which means another HC, which means new OC/DC, which means new systems, which means another 3 years of s***.

We have to win in 2 or it will be at least 5 before we have another chance IMO.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Gee...I must have missed the part where John Butler fired Levy after taking over the GM responsibilities from Polian. My bad.

Why do some think when/if Marv retires wholesale changes will automatically follow?
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• EricStratton
                          • Jul 2002

How much older then Marv was Butler when he passed. Hell, just today Dennis Johnson died at a much older age then Marv is now. I wonder how the man makes it every day.

In the high stress world these guys live in their number may be up at any minute, no matter how old they are. marv hasn't shown signs of slowing yet so until he does what's the point of this thread.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Marv has that one great trait that many of us older people have: He knows his limitations. Which means he also knows his strengths. He can focus on trying to build us into a first class team again, without becoming embroiled in a million little details which are not his job.

He is not a headline grabbing, control freak like TD, or a micro manager, or a guy who always has to be right, or an ambitious backstabber seeking his next promotion. He is comfortable with who he is.

I believe he sees his job as working with the front office and the coaching staff to bring in the very best talent he can, within the organization's budget. He trusts Modrak and the other player personnel people, our capologist (I forget his name - hopefully Marv doesn't) and others within the organization to help accomplish his goals.

I think Marv's wisdom and experience are invaluable, and make him the right man to bring this team back to respectability.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• jamze132
                              Don’t hate…
                              • Jun 2003

Explain to me why he has to really out-think and out-maneuver anyone?

GM makes offer, player makes counter-offer, GM makes counter-offer, player says yes or no.

Comment

Working...
                              X