PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tidbit,

feelthepain
02-23-2007, 07:53 AM
I don't have a link, but this was something I read on finheaven from a thread called "Some combine news", so take it for what it's worth. If nothing else it's an interesting read.

Next Coming, for you--Willis McGahee is as good as gone from Buffalo, and you can pre-order your TJ Duckett Bills jersey, if what I heard today is valid. Baltimore and Houston are the finalists to get him, and the price is no more than a 2nd rounder.

We shall see what comes from this. Baltimore is expected to release Jamal Lewis, so maybe he ends up in Buffalo. The Bills could get an extra second rounder and Jamal Lewis. True or not, just stuff to think about.

DraftBoy
02-23-2007, 08:06 AM
If we can get an extra 2nd for McGahee, Ill pack his bags myself

Talk0fNewYork
02-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Hell yeah, I'll take the second rounder ALONE! an xtra rb is just icing on the cake!

DraftBoy
02-23-2007, 08:23 AM
With an extra 2nd, we could do something like;

1. DE Johnson/Carriker
2. LB Siler
2. TE Miller/Olsen
3. CB Houston
4. WR Jones
6. RB Buckley
7. DT Robinson

RockStar36
02-23-2007, 08:36 AM
It would be bittersweet to see him leave for me

It would be sweet to get a 2nd rounder and possibly another good RB as well.

It would be bitter because I've been a big McGahee fan since he was in college.

But if it's for the good of the Bills I have to go along with it.

JPFBillsFan
02-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Good ridance....I'd help pack those bags myself...
sick of these Selfish "From the U" players.....they don't need to play for us...
we'll take hard workers and good people like Evans everyday of the week....

RockStar36
02-23-2007, 09:02 AM
They aren't all selfish.

patmoran2006
02-23-2007, 09:05 AM
We won't get a second rounder for him, we'd be LUCKY to get a third..

RB's a dime a dozen in this league right now.
Personally, I dont think he's going anywhere.

Don't Panic
02-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Deal him to Houston... I couldn't stand watching the Ravens get him when he's playing for a contract. That would be almost as painful as watching us lose in Raven stadium two of the last three years.

gr8slayer
02-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Amen to that.

gr8slayer
02-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Deal him to Houston... I couldn't stand watching the Ravens get him when he's playing for a contract. That would be almost as painful as watching us lose in Raven stadium two of the last three years.
If thinks Buffalo sucks as a city wait till he gets to Houston.

feelthepain
02-23-2007, 09:20 AM
We won't get a second rounder for him, we'd be LUCKY to get a third..

RB's a dime a dozen in this league right now.
Personally, I dont think he's going anywhere.

Like I said, this may not be true, but it isn't impossible either. Willis has made no bones about playing elsewhere and his numbers last year could lead to his depature. It's just something to think about.

Elminster
02-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Amen to that.
I'd take money out of my savings account(keep in mind I'm in college and thus chronically poor) and pay his plane tickets. Can't say I'd be wild about Duckett, but this is just a rumor. I'd love to get a 2nd for McGahee...

don137
02-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Take the 2nd rounder and draft RB in round 1 like Lynch....We will get an extra day one pick next year when we lose Clements so this would be a great way to build a team through the draft....

don137
02-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Take the 2nd rounder and draft RB in round 1 like Lynch....We will get an extra day one pick next year when we lose Clements so this would be a great way to build a team through the draft....

Ickybaluky
02-23-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm not so sure the Bills would want to take on Lewis' contract, especially where he is going to be cut anyway.

Lewis contract calls for him to make $20M over the next 2 years. That includes $5M salaries and $5M in roster bonus each season. That is why Baltimore is releasing him, they never intended to have him play those years, but rather would re-do his contract or release him (which is what is happening).

As for McGahee for draft pick, I could see that happening.

patmoran2006
02-23-2007, 09:35 AM
If Houston was to offer us a third for Willis I'd take the deal in 1.3 seconds.

This will be his last year in Buffalo anyway, he DOESNT want to play out his career in a city like Buffalo.. It's not for him.

I'd take the deal in a second.. Houston needs a RB. I"d see if I could land a deal for like Thomas Jones beforehand, and even if worse came to absolute worse I'd live with A-Train as the starter this year while using a second or a third on a rookie, like maybe Darius Walker in the third.

F McGahee Im sick of his attitude. If he played on this team during the Jimbo years, Kelly woulda punched him in the face and black-balled him by now for his comments.

HHURRICANE
02-23-2007, 10:01 AM
If we can get an extra 2nd for McGahee, Ill pack his bags myself:lmao:

HHURRICANE
02-23-2007, 10:04 AM

Are you sure about that? I don't think we get a #1 pick next year if we lose him.

HHURRICANE
02-23-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm not so sure the Bills would want to take on Lewis' contract, especially where he is going to be cut anyway.

Lewis contract calls for him to make $20M over the next 2 years. That includes $5M salaries and $5M in roster bonus each season. That is why Baltimore is releasing him, they never intended to have him play those years, but rather would re-do his contract or release him (which is what is happening).

As for McGahee for draft pick, I could see that happening.

Uhhh, Lewis already got released so why do we need to take on his contract?!

OpIv37
02-23-2007, 10:13 AM
no sense in getting worked up over this at the moment, since it's just anonymous internet speculation with no source.

But I have no problems with ditching McGahee. He had a hell of a stretch run in 04 and has underperformed ever since. The Bills took a HUGE chance on him with his knee, and he pays them back by talking about moving to Toronto, shooting his mouth off, skipping mini-camps and dancing behind the LOS instead of running hard. The guy is becoming the Derrick Coleman of the NFL- all of the natural ability to be one of the greats, but lacks the motivation to do the things necessary to make it happen.

If we do this, though, we'd have to re-sign A-train, pick up another vet running back, and draft an RB mid-to-late. Still, I would definitely be in favor of ditching an underperformer for an extra draft pick to help build this team.

HHURRICANE
02-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Wish we could have traded McGahee to the Ravens for Thomas. Thomas did not get tagged so that can't happen.

HHURRICANE
02-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Just for those who love A-train. He will never last 16 games as a starter. He's a great BACKUP!! That's it.

Tatonka
02-23-2007, 10:47 AM
if we got an extra 2nd rounder for mcgahee, i take michael bush and be happy as hell.

BillsNick
02-23-2007, 10:55 AM
if we got an extra 2nd rounder for mcgahee, i take michael bush and be happy as hell.

Agreed :up:

TacklingDummy
02-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Remember this thread when Willis has 1300+ yards and 10 TDs next year, haters.

You all talk about how piss poor the oline is when defending your boy but when it comes to someone you dislike I guess theres no excuses.

Dr. Lecter
02-23-2007, 11:00 AM

You all talk about how piss poor the oline is when defending your boy but when it comes to someone you dislike I guess theres no excuses.

Aren't you the same way?

Willis' problems - O-line

JP's problems - Nothing to do with the O-line.

Devin
02-23-2007, 11:04 AM
I don't have a link, but this was something I read on finheaven from a thread called "Some combine news", so take it for what it's worth. If nothing else it's an interesting read.

We shall see what comes from this. Baltimore is expected to release Jamal Lewis, so maybe he ends up in Buffalo. The Bills could get an extra second rounder and Jamal Lewis. True or not, just stuff to think about.

Id be truly shocked if someone gave us as high as a 2nd rounder, but I wouldnt complain.

Nice find.

TacklingDummy
02-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Aren't you the same way?

Willis' problems - O-line

JP's problems - Nothing to do with the O-line.

Willis problems-teams stacking the line because they didn't respect the Bills passing game and teams were taking away our run to force a struggling QB to try and beat them.

Which leads to big passing plays out of the offense.

Example: See 2006 Bills offense.

I'd love to see more fire out of Willis. Being a contract year maybe there will be a flame under his ass.

Dr. Lecter
02-23-2007, 11:31 AM
I would like to see Willis get fired more often than when he plays against the Jets and his buddy from the 'U'.

And less dancing.

The point is, the o-line hurt BOTH guys this year. If you deny that, you need to remove the blinders.

patmoran2006
02-23-2007, 11:36 AM
I would like to see Willis get fired more often than when he plays against the Jets and his buddy from the 'U'.

And less dancing.

The point is, the o-line hurt BOTH guys this year. If you deny that, you need to remove the blinders.
your last sentence is spot-on, which is why guys like Merz and Preston don't cut it as starters in the NFL, and this is pretty much unarguably the position that Ralph must open the vault for if we're to have any realistic chance of competing.

gr8slayer
02-23-2007, 11:37 AM

Only 10 TD's? He should have alot more than that. He had more his first year back in 2004. You set your standards too low.

Mudflap1
02-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't think Willis is going anywhere this season.

Jon

TacklingDummy
02-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Only 10 TD's? He should have alot more than that. He had more his first year back in 2004. You set your standards too low.

It's alot better than what he produced last year.

HHURRICANE
02-23-2007, 12:13 PM

First off, I hope you are 100% right.

Second, Willis is his own worst enemy. He proclaimed himself "the best RB in football" before the 2005 San Diego game and has sucked since.

If he's on the team on opening day I'lll be his biggest fan. I agree that the OL is responsible for both JP and Willis's struggles. If it get's addressed both JP and Willis are going to be under the microscope.

raphael120
02-23-2007, 12:26 PM
The one thing to note though is after the Oline shuffle, JP's numbers greatly increased, while McGahee's didn't. Now some of this can be because of his injury, but Im sorry, somethin has got to give.

OpIv37
02-23-2007, 12:32 PM

when A train can hit the holes and get positive yardage, but McGahee dances in the backfield and takes losses, it's pretty tough to blame the OL. The OL needs to get better at run blocking, but that doesn't give McGahee an excuse to give up on plays. The only way McGahee will ever get 1300 yards is if he gets traded to the Pats or Fish mid season and gets to play the Jets 4 times.

gr8slayer
02-23-2007, 01:20 PM
It's alot better than what he produced last year.
I'll give you that but still. Ten TD's? Hell I can think of two backup RB's off the top of my head(Jacobs, Barber) that put up ten TD's.

feelthepain
02-23-2007, 01:38 PM
First off, I hope you are 100% right.

Second, Willis is his own worst enemy. He proclaimed himself "the best RB in football" before the 2005 San Diego game and has sucked since.

If he's on the team on opening day I'lll be his biggest fan. I agree that the OL is responsible for both JP and Willis's struggles. If it get's addressed both JP and Willis are going to be under the microscope.

Good post.

jmb1099
02-23-2007, 09:22 PM

O line played a part, good line line should amount to better production. It cannot fix a lack of heart though

Ickybaluky
02-24-2007, 04:55 AM
when A train can hit the holes and get positive yardage, but McGahee dances in the backfield and takes losses, it's pretty tough to blame the OL.

We are talking about the same Anthony Thomas that averaged 3.5 yards a carry last year, right? Meanwhile, McGahee averaged 3.8 yards a carry behind the same line.

TacklingDummy
02-24-2007, 06:11 AM

Yes, that bothers me he said that. He should have said " Im the worst RB in football"

Don't Panic
02-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Funny you mentioned it Pat (hours earlier, too), but Chris Brown had talk of a Thomas jones trade in his blog last night:

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

"A 28-year old back entering his prime after back to back 1,200-yard seasons and an ability to be an effective receiver out of the backfield sounds great to me. That's the kind of versatility the Bills are in need of in their backfield."

Amen to that. I'm imagining a third, although who knows... he may garner a higher pick than McGahee.

Luisito23
02-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Thomas is allright, but it would make no sense to trade for him since IMO he's not much of an upgrade over Willis, and definetly not worth wasting a valuable pick on....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!

HHURRICANE
02-24-2007, 09:24 AM
Yes, that bothers me he said that. He should have said " Im the worst RB in football"

Maybe he should have just kept his mouth shut.

feelthepain
02-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Maybe he should have just kept his mouth shut.

Or back up what he says.

OpIv37
02-24-2007, 10:28 PM
We are talking about the same Anthony Thomas that averaged 3.5 yards a carry last year, right? Meanwhile, McGahee averaged 3.8 yards a carry behind the same line.

McGahee has more breakaway speed and had a few big runs to bump up his average. Sometimes you have to watch the games and not the stat lines. A Train runs north to south on every play. McGahee runs east to west and doesn't turn upfield until there's a hole big enough for a mack truck.