PDA

View Full Version : Get the cheque book out ....

kernowboy
02-24-2007, 04:26 AM
From MSN Foxsports

Patrick Kerney, the one-time Pro Bowl defensive end for the Falcons, said his days with the team appear finished. (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/02/22/0223kerney.html) "Unfortunately, there is the business side of things," Kerney said in a phone interview Thursday. "I always said since I was a rookie, if Joe Montana didn't finish his career with the San Francisco 49ers, there's no guarantee I'll finish my career with the Atlanta Falcons." Atlanta projects to have roughly $10 million to spend in free agency, which probably would not be enough to retain Kerney and fortify other positions of need. The Falcons and Kerney have been in contract talks for months, but Kerney said it's unlikely an accord will be reached before free agency starts March 2.

If we are to be serious contenders this is a guy we MUST make a run at.

We hugely upgrade LE, with a high achieving, hard working character guy, that will immediately be a colossal upgrade. Has played both DE and LB in a 3-4 and was a former lacrosse player so as hard as nails.

The defence needs real leadership, a guy who doesn't *****, moan, runs to the press, but simply commands huge respect.

A sack average of over 7 a year or 1 every other game he has started isn't too shabby either.

Would happily give him a $24m, 4 year deal ... add him and Napolean Harris and maybe we can look at the offence in the draft

alohabillsfan
02-24-2007, 04:42 AM
I really do not see the diff. between him and Kelsay, and I predict Kelsay to have a better 2007.

kernowboy
02-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Patrick Kerney v Chris Kelsay = no difference? Have you been inhaling again?

Kelsay:- 14 NFL sacks (3.5 per year); 161 tackles (40 per year); 42 out of 64 starts; most sacks in a season 6

Kerney:- 58 NFL sacks (7.25 per year); 356 tackes (44.5 per year); 102 out of 121 possible starts; most sacks in a season 13

Basically Kerney is a threat that has to be taken into account by the opposition on every play. Kelsay is not a threat.

The only thing in Kelsay's favour is that he is 3 years younger

Ickybaluky
02-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Kerney opted out of a contract that would have paid him $5M this year and $6.7M next year. He did that because he thinks he can do much better than that in FA with all the money available. Time will tell what he is worth, but he is asking for $7M+ per season and $10M-$15M in bonus guarantees.

It is true that Kerney is a top-notch pass rusher. However, he sells out to get to the QB and isn't very sturdy against the run. He may be a better pass rusher than Kelsey, but for the difference in money he is not nearly enough better as a player to warrant that investment. Considering he will be 31 this year while Kelsey is much younger, I don't think that is the kind of FA that makes sense for Buffalo. Buffalo has a much more long-term focus. It makes much more sense for a team like Denver, who has a core of older players and is looking to make a push in the short term.

Don't Panic
02-24-2007, 07:09 AM
I'd love to see us go after a guy like this, but NE39 is right - he is going to want an eight figure bonus and a first year salary of at least $6 million. That is half our cap space righ there. Not gonna happen.

Tatonka
02-24-2007, 07:11 AM
how often is the "tough as nails" kerney hurt? alot more than kelsay.

kerney is on the injury report every week.

RedEyE
02-24-2007, 10:12 AM
I want to see him sign with Buffalo as well. I heard here in Atlanta though, that the Falcons could still tag him.

SABURZFAN
02-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Would happily give him a $24m, 4 year deal ...

:rofl:

you aren't even close.

DraftBoy
02-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Kerney is a good DE, but he is just like Aaron Schoebel, all out for the QB to where he gets himself out of posistion for a play on running games. Also like T says he's consistently nicked up. If he's looking for 7/yr with 10-15 guaranteed let Washington or somebody else sign him and lets have Jamaal Anderson slip to us!

Ickybaluky
02-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I want to see him sign with Buffalo as well. I heard here in Atlanta though, that the Falcons could still tag him.

The Falcons can't tag him. The deadline for applying the tag was last Thursday. He didn't opt out of his contract until Friday. Thus, the tag is not an option.

Kerr
02-24-2007, 02:44 PM
I say he ends up in Denver as well. His position coach from atlanta went to denver and he likes playing for him.