PDA

View Full Version : Freeney Asking For 30 Mil Bonus, 9 Mil A Year - Salaries Out Of Control

Night Train
02-24-2007, 05:01 AM
Patrick Kearney wants 8 Mil a year and a large bonus. ( per the NFL Network ) Think DE's are getting expensive ? What does that say about the cost of doing business in the NFL ? Buffalo isn't the only team shaking their head. There's probably a dozen other teams thinking they can't survive long term in these economics.

These contracts are insane. Soon, only corporate America will be buying tickets. You can raise tickets only so high before the average fan is priced out and it's getting dangerously close to that. (Within 5 years perhaps ?)

I wouldn't be surprised if we see another League start up within the next few years. All the teams priced out of the NFL ( There will be several) will participate, including Buffalo. Sane economics will be the cornerstone.

Now you know why Ralph is throwing up red flags and yelling for the revenue sharing. Even if he gets it, the uncontrolled rising costs will just be passed on to the fans. There is a price ceiling in every market and we have probably reached ours in WNY.

I'm an old salt and have attended the games since I was a kid in the 1960's. I drop a bundle on seasons every year. Still, there is a limit and the NFL is fast approaching that limit. I have the expenses that go with a home and family. The Bills will not take a significant chuck out of that budget.

Greed is killing the golden goose. :down:

YardRat
02-24-2007, 05:38 AM
Thank you - Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, Bob Kraft, etc, etc.

If the Bills were to go belly-up but be re-born as a franchise in a new league, I would switch my allegiance from the NFL to the newbies in a heartbeat.

kernowboy
02-24-2007, 06:02 AM
Patrick Kearney wants 8 Mil a year and a large bonus. ( per the NFL Network ) Think DE's are getting expensive ? What does that say about the cost of doing business in the NFL ? Buffalo isn't the only team shaking their head. There's probably a dozen other teams thinking they can't survive long term in these economics.

These contracts are insane. Soon, only corporate America will be buying tickets. You can raise tickets only so high before the average fan is priced out and it's getting dangerously close to that. (Within 5 years perhaps ?)

I wouldn't be surprised if we see another League start up within the next few years. All the teams priced out of the NFL ( There will be several) will participate, including Buffalo. Sane economics will be the cornerstone.

Now you know why Ralph is throwing up red flags and yelling for the revenue sharing. Even if he gets it, the uncontrolled rising costs will just be passed on to the fans. There is a price ceiling in every market and we have probably reached ours in WNY.

I'm an old salt and have attended the games since I was a kid in the 1960's. I drop a bundle on seasons every year. Still, there is a limit and the NFL is fast approaching that limit. I have the expenses that go with a home and family. The Bills will not take a significant chuck out of that budget.

Greed is killing the golden goose. :down:

Is that Freeney or Kerney asking for that salary?

I would be tempted to offer Kerney $6m a year as a LE ... I'm not sure what value Freeney offers with Schobel in place?

Tatonka
02-24-2007, 07:07 AM
why would a team pay that. there is one way to control those crazy demands.. let them sit there.

Night Train
02-24-2007, 07:45 AM
The players and their agents are grabbing the calculator and seeing how much the cap has risen over the last few years. Wasn't just a couple years ago that it was in the low 80's ( Mil ) ? Now it's 109 ( Mil ) and the players want even a higher percentage of any cap figure. Plus the agreement calls for significant cap hikes over the next few years. The ticket price increase may be yearly now.

You'd think the players would be happy with the signing bonus, which they can bank and live their entire life off of. But they want a high yearly salary also, based on what other players of their talent level receive. They base it on "Principle". ( cough )

When you get right down to it, the worst thing that could have happened was the TV Networks paying this insane $$ to the NFL. The domino effect is finally trickling right down to the bottom of the pyramid.... us fans.

The players and agents see unlimited riches, while the owners try to keep their teams competitive and make a good profit. Don't get me wrong. Both sides prosper but TV revenue alone doesn't satisfy the greedy. The fan has to pay and is running out of $$.

Owners like Jones,Snyder,Kraft,Laurie,McNair and a few other are probably very pleased with this. Eventually, several franchises will dissolve and they can supposedly double their $$. Less teams means less profit sharing, savings on travel, more talented rosters etc. So what if end zone seats go for $120 a pop. They'll sell out ( so they think ).

Naturally, without an NFL team in Buffalo and several other NFL cities, we'll all just blindly support one of their teams because we have no other options. We can't possibly live without the NFL.

Right....hang onto that dream, Skippy...

There will be another League, soon after 3-4 teams close shop and smart people with $$ see those big empty stadiums. It won't take long for another league to form. Plus there is ALWAYS 1 or 2 networks without pro football, looking to fill a ratings void. Set a low cap and plenty of talent, unable to secure a 10 million dollar yearly salary with the Greed boys,will flock there.

This is why I don't get upset anymore. In the present environment, it's inevitable. But we'll probably have another team in a new league within 2 years. Smart $$ people would move fast.

I hope I'm wrong but a team in a new, more fiscally responsible league, isn't a bad fallback. I'm just being pragmatic and level headed towards viewing a goose that's almost done cooking.

djjimkelly
02-24-2007, 08:20 AM
the sick joke is the top 2-3 FA's this year could pool their signing bonus and go buy an nhl team. now thats a joke!!!!!! and that aint a knock on nhl its just fact

Michael82
02-24-2007, 08:42 AM
:ill:

jimmifli
02-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Salaries aren't out of control. They fell behind league revenues.

Look at all the available cap space around the NFL, the owners haven't spent what they could.

HHURRICANE
02-24-2007, 09:37 AM
I think we should wait until March 2nd and see what they actually get.

KERNEY is very talented at getting hurt. He's one of my least favorite players and is way overrated. Anybody stupid enough to sign him to that big a deal deserves their fate.

Bling
02-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Usually I argue that Ralph needs to learn to compete (i.e. selling the name Ralph Wilson Stadium, etc.), but that's just nuts. For a guy that didn't even get into double digit sacks, he's an idiot. He doesn't deserve that.

gr8slayer
02-24-2007, 09:45 AM
No freaking way I would even consider giving a DE that kind of bonus. Especially a guy who cannot do a damn thing vs. the run.

SABURZFAN
02-24-2007, 09:50 AM
if you think freeney and kerney are asking for rediculous money,wait until clements signs his contract.

Michael82
02-24-2007, 09:54 AM
if you think freeney and kerney are asking for rediculous money,wait until clements signs his contract.
good point. :ill:

HHURRICANE
02-24-2007, 09:54 AM

This is as true as it gets. Been saying all along that he's signing with an 18-20 million dollar bonus. But it did cross my mind that it could go as high as 25 million. Nate Clements is the luckiest SOB on the planet. #1 money for a guy that's not even in the top 5 at his position.

SABURZFAN
02-24-2007, 10:00 AM
good point. :ill:

it's not only going to be these guys either.wait until you see a couple of journeymen getting paid rediculous bucks.there's going to be a lot of WTF's in here.you watch.....

HHURRICANE
02-24-2007, 10:03 AM
it's not only going to be these guys either.wait until you see a couple of journeymen getting paid rediculous bucks.there's going to be a lot of WTF's in here.you watch.....

Kelsay?

SABURZFAN
02-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Kelsay?

it wouldn't surprise me.

Bill Brasky
02-24-2007, 01:06 PM
what do you expect?

the overpaid, thug atmosphere, that the NBA has mastered is slowly making it's way to the NFL.

in five years the league is going to be an absolute joke if they don't start taking measures to prevent it.

Carlton Bailey
02-24-2007, 02:00 PM
The NFL is going to start alienating its fans with these contracts just like MLB. All empires and reigns must come to an end, and football's spot atop the American sporting landscape may soon be falling.

Give me hockey any day of the week, personally.