PDA

View Full Version : A TJones/BLeonard Backfield

Don't Panic
02-25-2007, 07:15 PM
After seeing the McGahee situation develop the last couple of days, we obviously need to start thinking of alternatives should he be moved. Many have been discussed on the board, but the one that seems to do the more than any other, the one that actually improves our backfield, could be attainable with some creative manuevering. The first step would be to deal McGahee to the Giants for either their 2nd or (it seems unfortunately more likely) 3rd round pick. We then trade the same round pick (2nd or 3rd) for Thomas Jones (I'm imaging that they have about the same asking price, although I guess McGahee's could be a bit higher). Come draft time, we use our 2nd on Brian Leonard. That gives us two backs that can... be used in the same backfield simulataneously... both serve as potent receivers out of the backfield (which would create huge problems for opposing defenses and take a ton of pressure of Losman)... take the role of feature back at any given time. The trend towards a 2 back backfield (especially one power one finesse) has become a very successful one. Not only would we be following on that path, but we would be taking the approach to a new level by having two competent receivers in our backfield as well, something no other team can claim. We purge ourself of the cancer that is McGahee, and burn a 2nd rounder to vastly improve our backfield situation.

HHURRICANE
02-25-2007, 07:23 PM
I like it.

Devin
02-25-2007, 07:34 PM
:drool:

Pinkerton Security
02-25-2007, 08:26 PM
i played against brian leonard in HS and we "held" him to below his season average, "only allowing" him to rush for 242 on 45 attempts. He's legit, a great athlete. I'd love for him to be a Bill on draft day.

ZacGriffi~82
02-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Yeah, but why does Jones want to be traded?

Don't Panic
02-26-2007, 04:12 AM
He doesn't want to split carries, and that may be a bit of a problem here, but Jones would be more of a feature back here than in Chicago, especially in the beginning. He would get 20+ touches a game here. Leonard would get 10+ and work up from there. Plus, Leonard would serve as his lead blocker half the time. I can't see Jones complaining much about that!

Night Train
02-26-2007, 04:15 AM
I hear " Just My Imagination " by the Stones playing in the background.

It's all good. This is the time of year where it's fun to dream. It's what we do.

Don't Panic
02-26-2007, 04:18 AM
It's all good. This is the time of year where it's fun to dream. It's what we do.

True, true. This one is home-cooked... I have nothing to go off of here (other than talk and logic). Just thought it made sense from a GM standpoint.

clumping platelets
02-26-2007, 04:31 AM
, "only allowing" him to rush for 242 on 45 attempts.

:eek: