• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Forget Dielman or Steinbach

Dudes, I just had a conversation with a sportswriting buddy of mine who's out in Indy for the combine.

I didnt even talk to him about ANY prospects, I asked him specifically about Steinbach and Dielman.

He told me, in fact almost cut me off .. and said "forget it". From what he's heard and other credible people, that these two SOB's are going to be getting like STeve Hutchinson money, IM talking $6.5 million plus per year... Rumors are already circulating that Seattle is preparing to pay Dielman more than what it would've costed to keep Hutchinson last year.

now I love these two cats more than anyone here and was desperate for us to make a play at one or both of them.. But I can assure you that's NOT happening.

And I'm actually going to side with Buffalo's Front office on this one.. That would be a BAD signing for that much money.. No guard is worth that kind of money..

So everyone, including myself move down your guard wish-list.. For me it's now Dockery, who Im sure won't come cheap either.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Re: ****tttttttttttttt, forget Dielman or Steinbach

Unfortunately with all the talk of what'll take to sign them, this has been pretty obvious as of late. I'm with you though pat, you don't want to overpay for a guard. There ares till others out there. We'll just have to be that much more careful with who we bring in.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

That would be a BAD signing for that much money.. No guard is worth that kind of money..
      Many posters have had that opinion since the beginning.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Romes
        • Jul 2002

INDIANAPOLIS – The Bills and Giants are discussing a possible trade involving discontented Buffalo running back Willis McGahee.

Half way down the page:

DIELMAN COULD TOP GUARD MARKET

San Diego guard Kris Dielman appears to be the most sought-after player among the offensive linemen who will be available in free agency.

Several executives indicated that Dielman will receive in excess of $6 million per year on his contract after the start of free agency Friday. That figure could top $7 million, perhaps making Dielman the highest paid interior lineman in the game.

Last year, Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson received a seven-year, $49 million deal from Minnesota to make him the highest paid interior lineman.

Dielman, who turned 26 this month, became a starter in 2005. He was an undrafted free agent in 2003 who started on the Chargers practice squad before becoming a top-flight left guard.

Among the teams supposedly most interested in Dielman are Cleveland, Miami and Dallas. Agent Mike McCartney declined to comment.

Beyond Dielman, Cincinnati guard Eric Steinbach, who also is considered a tackle by some teams, is expected to top the $6 million figure when he gets an official contract offer next week.
        Originally posted by paladin warrior
        RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• realdealryan
          realdealrex
          • Nov 2005

I went to middle school with Dielman. That dude got BIG.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Aug 2004

With Indy not having a lot of cap room, even after restructuring P.Manning's contract, due to the Freeney signing, I expect the Bills to make a play for one or both of their RFA OGs, Scott and Lilja. Even if the Colts can retain one, it will be hard for them to retain both.

Cincy also has an RFA OG that they probably will have difficulty retaining with their salary cap situation and all of the money that they already have tied up in their offensive line.

Also, Shaun O'Hara of the NY Giants may opt to move on as well. If he does, his presence on the market would help the Bills in trying to secure the services of a mid-level FA or RFA.

As much as I would like to see the Bills get a Dielman or Steinbach, I know that they won't over-pay to do so and I wouldn't want them to. But, having those two on the market will help the Bills in terms of being able to target someone else, even though it will probably raise the price for anyone that they might want to sign. But, with so many teams having cap money to spend, the prices for all players at pretty much all positions is going to go up no matter what, so there really isn't anything that the Bills or anyone else can do about that. As a result, there are going to be people screaming about how they over-paid, no matter who they sign. It's just a matter of how much they are going to have to over-pay to get a decent player to fill a spot.

One thing that I think that prices like this will do is force more teams--especially the smaller market teams--to primarily build through the draft and be very selective about which free agents they go after.
            Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

I can't "forget" Dielman and Steinbach when I never had any expectations of signing them in the first place.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
                With Indy not having a lot of cap room, even after restructuring P.Manning's contract, due to the Freeney signing, I expect the Bills to make a play for one or both of their RFA OGs, Scott and Lilja. Even if the Colts can retain one, it will be hard for them to retain both.

Cincy also has an RFA OG that they probably will have difficulty retaining with their salary cap situation and all of the money that they already have tied up in their offensive line.

Also, Shaun O'Hara of the NY Giants may opt to move on as well. If he does, his presence on the market would help the Bills in trying to secure the services of a mid-level FA or RFA.

As much as I would like to see the Bills get a Dielman or Steinbach, I know that they won't over-pay to do so and I wouldn't want them to. But, having those two on the market will help the Bills in terms of being able to target someone else, even though it will probably raise the price for anyone that they might want to sign. But, with so many teams having cap money to spend, the prices for all players at pretty much all positions is going to go up no matter what, so there really isn't anything that the Bills or anyone else can do about that. As a result, there are going to be people screaming about how they over-paid, no matter who they sign. It's just a matter of how much they are going to have to over-pay to get a decent player to fill a spot.

One thing that I think that prices like this will do is force more teams--especially the smaller market teams--to primarily build through the draft and be very selective about which free agents they go after.
                Id like to see what kind of tender Indy put on Lilja and Scott bc there was a rumor that they may be unable to tender them at all.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Elminster
                  #1 Kelsay Fan
                  • Oct 2006

Re: Forget Dielman or Steinbach

Mmmm...I think one of Indy's guards would be our best bets. Both are young, experienced starters. If Indy rustles up some cap room though....
                  Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• eyedog
                    • Jul 2002

You can "forget" any fa that will cost any amount of real money. Expect more of last years bottom of the barrel marginal players.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                      Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                      Rumors are already circulating that Seattle is preparing to pay Dielman more than what it would've costed to keep Hutchinson last year.

And I'm actually going to side with Buffalo's Front office on this one.. That would be a BAD signing for that much money.. No guard is worth that kind of money..
                      I guess Seattle realized the mamouth mistake it made by letting him walk.

I am NOT with the FO. Considering they've abandoned the OL for 7 years I'd view either one of those signings as money that should have been well spent years ago.

The flip flopping during the offseason is becoming comical. Seems like every season all most of you guys do around here is ***** about the OL while JP sits on his back and Willis can't find holes. Then the offseason comes around and every FA OL "wants too much money" and "we have other needs". There comes a point where the problem needs to be addressed. Winning starts with the lines - and if you're going to overspend in one area it should be either with the QB or DL/OL

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by jfreeman
                        I guess Seattle realized the mamouth mistake it made by letting him walk.

I am NOT with the FO. Considering they've abandoned the OL for 7 years I'd view either one of those signings as money that should have been well spent years ago.

The flip flopping during the offseason is becoming comical. Seems like every season all most of you guys do around here is ***** about the OL while JP sits on his back and Willis can't find holes. Then the offseason comes around and every FA OL "wants too much money" and "we have other needs". There comes a point where the problem needs to be addressed. Winning starts with the lines - and if you're going to overspend in one area it should be either with the QB or DL/OL
                        I have said several times on here over the past few weeks whatever Buffalo decides to spend in FA that 80% of it should go to the OL.

But I just dont think ANY guard is worth more than $6 million per year. Dockery, the young guards from indy and a couple of others should be targets, but not these guys, not when we have so many other things to address.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                          Unreachable Douche
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by eyedog
                          You can "forget" any fa that will cost any amount of real money. Expect more of last years bottom of the barrel marginal players.
                          you mean players like Price, Royal, Bowen, Davis, Reed, Fowler?

I agree with history repeating itself.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                            Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                            I agree with history repeating itself.
                            Sadly I agree. Ralph is not only cheap, but he has made playing in Buffalo an afterthought for most players in the league.

He will spend 30 million at the scrap yard for 10 tons of useless junk instead of investing the same amount into 2 or 3 high performance machines. Superb logic.

No wonder our team has sucked - outside of the early 90's - for most of its existence.

Comment

• eyedog
                              • Jul 2002

You got it. You can buy six junkers or on Benz. It looks to me this franchise has decided to buy the junk hoping to find a diamond. Good luck with that. So expect more meaningless marginal trash.

Comment

Working...
                              X