Bills want first rounder for McGahee, who may hold out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Bills want first rounder for McGahee, who may hold out...

From John Czarnecki of Fox Sports:

Originally posted by CZAR
    When Ernie Accorsi was the general manager of the New York Giants, he had a very good working relationship with agent Drew Rosenhaus. After Saturday’s revelation by new GM Jerry Reese, whose promotion was supported by Accorsi, that he would be interested in trading for Bills running back Willis McGahee, the Rosenhaus connection was raised by several competing teams. McGahee, who wants a new contract from the Bills, is represented by Rosenhaus.

Reese said that he was unwilling to trade a first-day draft choice (rounds one through three) for McGahee, but that he would be willing to part with lower picks and possibly some players. MaGahee, who doesn’t like to work out in Buffalo in the off-season, has mentioned a holdout from training camp if he doesn’t receive a new deal. The Bills have been saying it would take a first-round pick to acquire McGahee.
  • RockStar36
    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
    • Sep 2004

Re: Bills want first rounder for McGahee, who may hold out...

He's going to hold out in a contract year. That's smart.

D & S Sports

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39

If they are asking a first round pick, we not only wont get an offer, but we will have a hold out on our hands

Also KFFL.com reported Reese said pretty much the same thing about Denver RB Tatum Bell as he did about McGahee.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
        He's going to hold out in a contract year. That's smart.
        Nobody has ever accused him of that
        COMING SOON...

Comment

• Italian Stallion
          Knows More Than You
          • Feb 2004

Let's not forget that the Bills are still in control of this situation...

McGahee CANT hold out in a contract year, especially coming off of a career low season.

The Bills "demanding" a first round pick for him is just simply showing how highly they "value" him. It's likely they will settle on a 2nd rounder once more teams become interested.

Bottom line is WM is the Bills Bitc* right now. He can act sly and try to hold out, but he'd only be hurting himself in the long run....and both he and his pig agent know that.
          BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

I like cheeseburgers and eva mendes

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Italian Stallion
            Let's not forget that the Bills are still in control of this situation...

McGahee CANT hold out in a contract year, especially coming off of a career low season.

The Bills "demanding" a first round pick for him is just simply showing how highly they "value" him. It's likely they will settle on a 2nd rounder once more teams become interested.

Bottom line is WM is the Bills Bitc* right now. He can act sly and try to hold out, but he'd only be hurting himself in the long run....and both he and his pig agent know that.
            I disagree, he holds out, he'll simply sign a low base high incentive deal in the offseason which any team would be willing to do, because if he doesnt do squat, you dont pay him squat. The Bills hold an advantage but by no means is Willis the Bills *****.
            COMING SOON...

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

Keep in mind, Rosenhaus has a history of clients threatening holdouts, but only occasionally does that holdout materialize. Rarely do his clients holdouts last into the season, in fact I'm not sure one ever has.

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

I could picture it getting ugly. The Bills need to be reasonably sure about their plan B in case it does
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• RockStar36
                  • Sep 2004

I think a trade will get worked out. Asking for a first rounder is ridiculous. Not offering a first day draft pick is ridiculous. There has to be some happy medium between the two.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Italian Stallion
                    Knows More Than You
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                    I disagree, he holds out, he'll simply sign a low base high incentive deal in the offseason which any team would be willing to do, because if he doesnt do squat, you dont pay him squat. The Bills hold an advantage but by no means is Willis the Bills *****.
                    Your forgetting though that NFL contractual rules state that if you hold out in the last year of your contract, you still owe that team a year to honor that contract, unless you play 8 games, or equivilant of half the season.

2 prime examples of this are Joey Galloway with Seattle and Keyshawn Johnson with TB. Because they played 8 games (Galloway the last 8, Johnson the first 8) they qualified for free agency even though the other portion of the season they were holding out.

Someone else can back me up on this if they like, but I'm damn near positive that this is the case.

So pretty much the Bills could place him on the Reserve/Non-injury list if he decides to be a child and hold out.... like Indy just did with Cory Simon, and Willis will still owe them a year.
                    BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                      !?!?!?!?!?
                      • Mar 2006

are there any teams other than the Giants that might be interested?

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Italian Stallion
                        Your forgetting though that NFL contractual rules state that if you hold out in the last year of your contract, you still owe that team a year to honor that contract, unless you play 8 games, or equivilant of half the season.
                        It is 6 games. He could report for the last 6 games and still qualify for free agency. Also, they can't put him on a reserve list unless he comes to camp and then walks out. In that case they can send him a 5-day letter and he will be out for the year if he doesnt' report on time. However, if he holds out from the start, they have no option but to wait.

Believe me, I know this as fact. The Pats went through this stuff with Deion Branch last year.

Comment

• RockStar36
                          • Sep 2004

I can't remember. Didn't Adewale Ogunleye hold out into the season w/ Miami before being traded to Chicago?

D & S Sports

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by RockStar36
                            I can't remember. Didn't Adewale Ogunleye hold out into the season w/ Miami before being traded to Chicago?
                            No. He held out but was traded in August, before the start of the season.

Comment

• Italian Stallion
                              Knows More Than You
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by NE39
                              It is 6 games. He could report for the last 6 games and still qualify for free agency. Also, they can't put him on a reserve list unless he comes to camp and then walks out. In that case they can send him a 5-day letter and he will be out for the year if he doesnt' report on time. However, if he holds out from the start, they have no option but to wait.

Believe me, I know this as fact. The Pats went through this stuff with Deion Branch last year.

Ok thanks for that clarification..... I don't think things are gonna get that far though. Whatever team steps up and wants him the most, will end up giving up a 2nd or 3rd. I'm not concerned.
                              BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

Comment

Working...
                              X