PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS! Bills re-sign Chris Kelsay

Michael82
02-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Last week at the NFL Combine Bills head coach Dick Jauron said he would not resign himself to the fate of losing his three defensive starters that are scheduled to become free agents. Buffalo successfully retained one of their top three free agents Monday as defensive end Chris Kelsay was re-signed to a multi-year deal.

Kelsay said he was "loyal" to Buffalo and followed through on his word.

"This is a place that I've grown to love," said Kelsay of Buffalo. "Not just my teammates and the coaching staff and the administration, but the town and everything that goes into that, my neighbors and just the atmosphere here."

Kelsay, who played his college ball at Nebraska, feels the way the Western New York community follows the Bills is very comparable to the passion he felt in his native state.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4633

gr8slayer
02-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Good. Lets keep our own guys.

Michael82
02-26-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm glad he's back, but I hope they didn't overspend. :pray:

Mr. Miyagi
02-26-2007, 04:03 PM
OK, if it really is $6 million/year from Kelsay, it's time to jump off the bridge. :ill:

gr8slayer
02-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm glad he's back, but I hope they didn't overspend. :pray:
Marv has yet to let us down. I trust the guy.

gr8slayer
02-26-2007, 04:04 PM
OK, if it really is $6 million/year from Kelsay, it's time to jump off the bridge. :ill:
Why? You know it will be very incentive based. I highly doubt its six million guaranteed.

gr8slayer
02-26-2007, 04:05 PM
It's great to have a guy who wants to be here.

Bill Brasky
02-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I like Kelsay. He's a great guy. Great team player. But he hasn't turned into the dominant force we need.

he's just not worth 6/year at this point and I believe that would put him at a higher salary than Schobel, who went to the Pro Bowl!

Anybody have any actual salary figures yet?

Mr. Miyagi
02-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Marv has yet to let us down. I trust the guy.
I trust that Marv can judge talent, but not salary figures. He himself admitted he knew nothing about the cap. We may have overpaid for him.

gr8slayer
02-26-2007, 04:08 PM
I trust that Marv can judge talent, but not salary figures. He himself admitted he knew nothing about the cap. We may have overpaid for him.
But we may not have. INCENTIVE BASED CONTRACT.

Mr. Miyagi
02-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Well let's wait and see what the contract terms are.

gr8slayer
02-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Did the CAPS scare you?

Philagape
02-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I guess there goes any chance of drafting a DE first. Bye bye Carriker .....

Romes
02-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Sweet...I don't have to change my avatar now.

Mudflap1
02-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Good things to hang our hats on...

1. Kelsay wants to be a Bill, which is nice.
2. He said Buffalo came after him hard. Good to see the Bills are capable of being aggressive in terms of signing a free agent.

I'd like to see some more impact players being pursued, but this is an okay start in my book. It'll be interesting to see the contract terms.

Jon

Romes
02-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Anyone remeber what Denney and Schobel got? I'm sure kelsay got something in between that.

Michael82
02-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Anyone remeber what Denney and Schobel got? I'm sure kelsay got something in between that.
no, because that was before the cap went up a ton and before the players raised their percentage to 59.5% of the NFL profit.

Michael82
02-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Here's Chris Brown's reply......

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 5:16 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1003)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
KELSAY SIGNING: I was really glad to hear from Kelsay that the Bills came after him hard in the days leading up to free agency. Kelsay is a more important cog than I think some recognize. His teammates respect his work ethic. He's one of those guys that sets the tone at practice and wills others to practice as hard as he does. He's also a guy no coach has to wonder about whether he'll get a full effort. It's a lock each and every Sunday.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

Carlton Bailey
02-26-2007, 04:39 PM
I just can't take anything Chris Brown writes seriously. Everything is rose-colored crap. I can't really blame him for it. The team employs him to write his positive little blogs that act like the Bills are the three-time champion Patriots.

realdealryan
02-26-2007, 04:41 PM
From what Chris Brown said and what we know about Marv, would it be a surprise if Marv will sign a FA partially based on character and locker influence? It might sound stupid, but we know that those are very high on his overall value list. Kelsay gets a bigger payday because of what teammates can do with him around?

BILLSROCK1212
02-26-2007, 05:02 PM
this takes care of one need.....i am happy kelsay is back

TigerJ
02-26-2007, 05:10 PM
This is a positive. As far as managing the cap, that's pretty much Jim Overdorf's job, not Levy's. It does present an interesting dilemma at the draft. Suppose Jamaal Anderson drops as a few mock drafters suggest he will. Would the Bills pass on him?

BILLSROCK1212
02-26-2007, 05:17 PM
This is a positive. As far as managing the cap, that's pretty much Jim Overdorf's job, not Levy's. It does present an interesting dilemma at the draft. Suppose Jamaal Anderson drops as a few mock drafters suggest he will. Would the Bills pass on him?
yes because we dont need him FB,WR, RB, OT, OG, CB, LB, DT are all bigger needs

Romes
02-26-2007, 05:23 PM
In the PC he says its a 4 year deal.

http://download.rbn.com/nfl/nfl/open/bills/download/022607kelsay.mp3

gr8slayer
02-26-2007, 05:25 PM
In the PC he says its a 4 year deal.

http://download.rbn.com/nfl/nfl/open/bills/download/022607kelsay.mp3
Good, get him during the peak of his career.

acehole
02-26-2007, 06:04 PM
I called that this morning....
Nothing wrong with this move.
He can stop the run he is a decent I repeat decent pass rusher.

Vin

Last week at the NFL Combine Bills head coach Dick Jauron said he would not resign himself to the fate of losing his three defensive starters that are scheduled to become free agents. Buffalo successfully retained one of their top three free agents Monday as defensive end Chris Kelsay was re-signed to a multi-year deal.

"This is a place that I've grown to love," said Kelsay of Buffalo. "Not just my teammates and the coaching staff and the administration, but the town and everything that goes into that, my neighbors and just the atmosphere here."

Kelsay, who played his college ball at Nebraska, feels the way the Western New York community follows the Bills is very comparable to the passion he felt in his native state.

Tatonka
02-26-2007, 06:31 PM
i would be shocked if he got paid more than schobel.. although, in all reality, schobels deal is low as hell for a probowl defensive end..

Scumbag College
02-26-2007, 06:36 PM
I think this is a good thing. There aren't that many unrestricted free agent DEs that are that much better than Kelsay. He wants to be here, and he's shown some improvement over the last couple of years.

X-Era
02-26-2007, 06:37 PM

I think most of us, including myself, expected to see him resigned before the market opens. Hes fairly cheap and has upside. Granted, its upside that he hasnt reached, but he has upside. He reminds me so much of Hansen.

patmoran2006
02-26-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm going to offer my opinions whether they are welcomed or not, and I"m not to going to put on a happy face to please others when a move is made that I hate.

I absolutely hate.. hate.. HATE This resigning.. IT's an awful decision, and I dont need to wait for ther terms of the contract to surface, because it's not about money.

This front four SUCKS against the run.. I dont know what the hell games some fans and apparently even our front office watches.. Kelsay is brutal with a capitol B against the run...

So in a matter of a few hours what do the Bills do to strengthen a unit that simply gets overpowered and cannot stop the run? They go out and they resign two of its absolute worst run defenders in the same day.

This is a terrible (non-financial) move IMO for several key reasons.

1) Again.. Our Run Defense sucks ass. So we do what's quickly becoming the Marv way as GM. We bring the mediocre FA's back anyway. We now have our top seven defensive linemen signed for next season. Problem with that is, six of them (Schobel) are horrible against the run.
2- Denney now becomes a $1.8 million dollar backup.
3- Probably say goodbye to Hargrove, who IMO is no worse than Kelsay, and Im sure is going to be a lot cheaper.
4- Say goodbye to drafting a potentially great DE in a draft pool where the position is absolutely STACKED among the top four (Adams, Anderson, Carriker, Johnson). Dont worry though, we have the symbolism of mediocrity back in Kelsay.
5- DL in general.. You know Marv talks about this and that, but obviously we're not going DL in round one now-- I'm sure we're not going OL either.. SO LEvy is officially turning into a friendlier Tom Donahoe now in regards to his care of the lines. Obviously, we're drafting a LB or CB now, and neither will be an upgrade to the team, they will merely try to soften the blow of losing Fletcher or Clements.

The funniest **** of all though will be how suddenly so many people in here will praise Kelsay, because he "likes" and is "loyal" to Buffalo. Guess what, my mother "loves" to cook. The problem is she sucks at it.

Kelsay is a borderline starter and a flat-out hinderence against stopping the run. This is a dumb, stupid resigning that prevents Buffalo from bettering an important position, and when the contract numbers come out I will probably want to hang myself, as should anyone here who will still defend this ******ed signing once those numbers are public.

Romes
02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Kelsay is a borderline starter and a flat-out hinderence against stopping the run. This is a dumb, stupid resigning that prevents Buffalo from bettering an important position, and when the contract numbers come out I will probably want to hang myself, as should anyone here who will still defend this ******ed signing once those numbers are public.

Did you know Kelsay led the Bills DL in tackles and he led the team in tackles for a loss? And that was while splitting time with Denney and Hargrove.

patmoran2006
02-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Did you know Kelsay led the Bills DL in tackles and he led the team in tackles for a loss? And that was while splitting time with Denney and Hargrove.
yes I did.. I also wish they kept a stat for times a DE got pushed by the tackle 8 yards down the field. I guarentee you he would be amongst the league leaders in that category.

Our front four was putrid against the run.. We have the 12th pick in the draft and a ton of cap room to find someone else besides Kelsay..

What do we do? in the same day we resign Anderson and Kelsay. We now have 7 of our 8 top DL under contract from a unit that is woefully bad.. Yipee!

Im HONESTLY starting to believe that Marv only knows a handful of players in the NFL besides his own. Forget the money, which is RIDICULOUS in itself.. This is a horrible signing.

Marvelous
02-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Kelsay & Denney are good lineman..Not great but good enough IMO..oNE LESS HUGE NEED FOR US atm IMO

Tatonka
02-26-2007, 07:22 PM
if he bills would not have resigned kelsay, pat would be wasting pages of posting pissing and moaning about how the bills dont keep anyone..

:rofl:

patmoran2006
02-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Bull****.. I have been practically begging in every thread I've written the past few weeks that we don't resign him- In fact I have called him the "epitomy of mediocrity on this team"
more than once.

Matter of fact, earlier in today's prediction thread for the first FA signing.. I went with a guy named Dewayne White from TB, a gifted DE who's been in the shadows of Simeon Rice. I also started a thread last week stating that I hoped we drafted a DE, I liked Charles Johnson and I solicited Draftboy's opinion of Carriker, who won me over after reading up on him.

To make matters worse, we just gave a #2B defensive end #1 money.

I dont get it.. Where is the committment from this FO to getting BETTER in the trenches. Jamaal Anderson, Carriker, Charles Johnson.. These guys are good All around DE's and difference makers... Many people are calling this the best draft for DE's in a decade.. What does Buffalo do to get better in the trenches? They resign their own guys, their own guys are are dreadful against the run.

It makes no sense, other than I truly think Marv (or whomever made this decision) is losing it.

Romes
02-26-2007, 07:29 PM
yes I did.. I also wish they kept a stat for times a DE got pushed by the tackle 8 yards down the field. I guarentee you he would be amongst the league leaders in that category.

Our front four was putrid against the run.. We have the 12th pick in the draft and a ton of cap room to find someone else besides Kelsay..

What do we do? in the same day we resign Anderson and Kelsay. We now have 7 of our 8 top DL under contract from a unit that is woefully bad.. Yipee!

Im HONESTLY starting to believe that Marv only knows a handful of players in the NFL besides his own. Forget the money, which is RIDICULOUS in itself.. This is a horrible signing.

Right...no one can deny the run D stunk. But if Kelsay's stats show he was the most effective DE on this team against the run, and they do. Maybe it wasn't his fault. I would look towards the inside of the line and the LB's. Afterall, thats where the FO seems to think the problem lies.

So what if right now 7 of the 8 of the DL are the same it doesn't mean thats the way its gonna be come September. FA hasn't even started yet...all we know now is that the DE's will look similar for the next few years with Schobel, Kelsay, and Denney locked up. Barring a low round pick coming out of no where.

Anderson is a non-issue. He was tendered a contract as rfa. Its not gauranteed and the Bills can still cut him at no expense.

Tatonka
02-26-2007, 07:30 PM
whatever pat.. you would have cried either way..

Mahdi
02-26-2007, 07:40 PM

Lets say that for the sake of arguement Schobel and kelsay are terrible against the run..... how about Mathis and Freeney? are they good against the run? The answer is no.... they arent... but their run D showed up against the run because they all started playing the system the way it was supposed to be played. Once are DTs and LBS get on the same page with regards to run D we will be fine regardless of Schobel and Kelsay.

patmoran2006
02-26-2007, 07:41 PM
You know the saddest part..

This is VERY likely our big FA "Score" of the offseason.

Tatonka
02-26-2007, 07:45 PM
no, the saddest part is that FA has not even started yet and your already pissing and moaning like you have a yeast infection.

HHURRICANE
02-26-2007, 07:45 PM

4 years!!!

Nick Markakis
02-26-2007, 07:47 PM
4 years!!!

Terms. Such as how much it goes up each year, etc.

lordofgun
02-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Some of you guys are ridiculous. You cry and whine that we aren't going to sign any FA's and we're going to lose our own FA's. Then when we sign one of them, you STILL complain because we spent too much.

******ED REASONING.

Tatonka
02-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Some of you guys are ridiculous. You cry and whine that we aren't going to sign any FA's and we're going to lose our own FA's. Then when we sign one of them, you STILL complain because we spent too much.

******ED REASONING.

it kills me.. it is the same people..

the bills are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

RedEyE
02-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Good move. He already knows the system and the team and he vastly improved last year.

G. Host
02-26-2007, 07:58 PM
I guess that means Hargrove is not be signed again.

Kelsay is a good player but needs better angles.

I hope they bring in a new assistant coach in to help.

Tatonka
02-26-2007, 08:01 PM
hargrove is a rfa.. he will definately be tendered.. no way he isnt.

Luisito23
02-26-2007, 08:05 PM

******ED REASONING.

:blamelog:.....

GO BILLS!!!!!

gr8slayer
02-26-2007, 08:06 PM
4- Say goodbye to drafting a potentially great DE in a draft pool where the position is absolutely STACKED among the top four (Adams, Anderson, Carriker, Johnson). Dont worry though, we have the symbolism of mediocrity back in Kelsay.

So what your saying is those guys are more accomplished than Kelsay? That they are "sure things?"

HHURRICANE
02-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm the idoit who called this earlier today.

Just for the record I know there are Kelsay fans here but I'm totally depressed. Not a good day for HH. I have posted 100 times how much I can't stand Kelsay and Denney. Maybe I'm still sleeping becuase there is no way we resigned Anderson and signed Kelsay to a 4 year deal on the same day.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=120730&page=4

Mahdi
02-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Kelsay got 2 sacks for me today on my online madden game.... Im happy about this.....

acehole
02-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Pat no worries it is a done deal. One need scratched off 6 more to go.......
I believe with a bigger push inside he will benifit this season. Who did you want us to motgage the future on at that position again?

Dr. Lecter
02-26-2007, 08:54 PM
I think the contract was a little pricey for Kelsay, imo.

But the "Ralph is cheap" talk should disappear, but I doubt it will.

OpIv37
02-26-2007, 09:03 PM
I think the contract was a little pricey for Kelsay, imo.

But the "Ralph is cheap" talk should disappear, but I doubt it will.

I've been saying all along that it's not about spending money- it's about spending money wisely. Was it wise to tie up this much of our available cap room in Kelsay when this team has so many other needs? Time will tell, I guess.

Bulldog
02-26-2007, 09:05 PM

Do us all a favor and shut up until the free agency period actually begins. I'm so sick of listening to you cry I could puke.

Dr. Lecter
02-26-2007, 09:09 PM
I've been saying all along that it's not about spending money- it's about spending money wisely. Was it wise to tie up this much of our available cap room in Kelsay when this team has so many other needs? Time will tell, I guess.

Tell some of the other people that.

"Ralph is cheap" Wah!

"Ralph won't sign any free agents. Wah"

Time will tell. Sadly some, know it all before FA starts.

Dr. Lecter
02-26-2007, 09:10 PM

Yes. Of course it is.

No doubt.

Because FA is almost over.

YardRat
02-26-2007, 09:32 PM

Do us all a favor and shut up until the free agency period actually begins. I'm so sick of listening to you cry I could puke.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/customavatars/avatar346_1.gif vs. http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/customavatars/avatar668_1.gif

LEPRECHAUN FIGHT !!!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

YardRat
02-26-2007, 09:35 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/l/lordlittlebrook/04.jpg

Romes
02-26-2007, 09:39 PM
:rofl:

Thats funny stuff YR