PDA

View Full Version : Here we go...more trades happening

Nighthawk
02-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Like I said, there are trades out there to be made, but Darcy is missing the boat. Here are some reported by TSN in Canada.

Sopel traded to the Canucks and Canucks add veteran Smolinski

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197807&hubname=

Also, Chicago/Detroit/Philly make deal. Calder part of it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197808&hubname=

There are deals that can be made to improve this team, Darcy just needs to be creative.

Dr. Lecter
02-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Those teams have cap space.

The Sabres have very little.All teams are not equal in the new NHL.

SabreEleven
02-26-2007, 08:57 PM
I watched the first Ottawa game today because I can and it's on my DVR. Just before the the melee, Lorentz said the medical staff told Darcy that they guarentee that ALL players will be back before the playoffs except Guastad.

If that is true, I don't think we need a trade, especially since
1. We are too tight to the cap.
2. Teams are getting raped to make any good trade.
3. We were 1 game away from the Finals last year, minus Grier and Mckee

We are going to be just fine.

Dozerdog
02-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Plus, I'd rather have Biron as an insurance policy with his vast experience and lockeroom chemistry than an AHL backup or a rent-a- loser like Belfour

Nighthawk
02-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Plus, I'd rather have Biron as an insurance policy with his vast experience and lockeroom chemistry than an AHL backup or a rent-a- loser like Belfour

yeah, because he'll help the team soooo much from the bench. What a joke.

Nighthawk
02-26-2007, 09:17 PM
I watched the first Ottawa game today because I can and it's on my DVR. Just before the the melee, Lorentz said the medical staff told Darcy that they guarentee that ALL players will be back before the playoffs except Guastad.

If that is true, I don't think we need a trade, especially since
1. We are too tight to the cap.
2. Teams are getting raped to make any good trade.
3. We were 1 game away from the Finals last year, minus Grier and Mckee

We are going to be just fine.

And if we lose in the playoffs? Are you going to be happy asking what if, just like last year when everybody asked, "what if Darcy just would have added some defensive depth?" You guys aren't thinking clearly, you're thinking with your hearts and not your heads. This team, before they won a few in the past couple of weeks, was mediocre for more than 2 months and now you think they are all of sudden better? Come on...stop drinking the homer juice.

Dozerdog
02-26-2007, 09:22 PM
And if we lose in the playoffs? Are you going to be happy asking what if, just like last year when everybody asked, "what if Darcy just would have added some defensive depth?" You guys aren't thinking clearly, you're thinking with your hearts and not your heads. This team, before they won a few in the past couple of weeks, was mediocre for more than 2 months and now you think they are all of sudden better? Come on...stop drinking the homer juice.

I'd much rather lose in the playoffs with the guys who have played (for the most part) awesome hockey the past 2 seasons than dump draft picks and youth to lose in the playoffs with rent-a-geriatric like Roberts, Guerin, Tkachuck

Maybe there is a reason their clubs are in last place- they are the best of the worst.

I'd rather have Stafford in the lineup than send him back to Rochester because 40-year-old Gary Roberts is taking up a roster spot

camelcowboy
02-26-2007, 09:22 PM
They could use Connolly's space and keep him on the Bench till round 2

Dozerdog
02-26-2007, 09:24 PM
They could use Connolly's space and keep him on the Bench till round 2Unfortunately- they allready are using Connolly's space

They would have some rough decisions to make if/when Timmy comes back

Nighthawk
02-26-2007, 09:26 PM
I'd much rather lose in the playoffs with the guys who have played (for the most part) awesome hockey the past 2 seasons than dump draft picks and youth to lose in the playoffs with rent-a-geriatric like Roberts, Guerin, Tkachuck

Maybe there is a reason their clubs are in last place- they are the best of the worst.

I'd rather have Stafford in the lineup than send him back to Rochester because 40-year-old Gary Roberts is taking up a roster spot

You don't know much about hockey, do you? The juice you've been drinking is really affecting your train of thought. My God, seperate yourself from your emotional attachment to this team and think rationally. If you truly believe you have a better chance winning the cup with Stafford in the lineup instead of a Guerin or Tkachuk, then I seriously have to question your hockey knowledge.

Nighthawk
02-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately- they allready are using Connolly's space

They would have some rough decisions to make if/when Timmy comes back

No, they are not using his space right now. They still have it to use, but have been holding it for when he comes back.

camelcowboy
02-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Well this will be settled around noon tomorrow, imo around 12:00 we will see if they claim Boucher off of waivers from chicago. We can fit him under the cap, then they could trade Biron.

Nighthawk
02-26-2007, 09:27 PM

You're correct and it would be a smart move.

Nighthawk
02-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Well this will be settled around noon tomorrow, imo around 12:00 we will see if they claim Boucher off of waivers from chicago. We can fit him under the cap, then they could trade Biron.

That would make the most sense, but then again, what do I know.

SabreEleven
02-26-2007, 09:33 PM

I don't agree with this because he needs to back in game shape and play a few games before the season even ends. Nobody out there is even as talented as he is.

Nighthawk
02-26-2007, 09:38 PM
I don't agree with this because he needs to back in game shape and play a few games before the season even ends. Nobody out there is even as talented as he is.

It doesn't matter how talented he is, the fact is, he hasn't played hockey in almost a year. It's not like riding a bike, you have to get in shape, get your hand and eye coordination in sink, get the feel for playing in a game back and basically get your timing back. For arguments sake, if we could Guerin, he would be 100% more useful to the Sabres because he has been playing all season and is ready for the grind of the playoffs. Timmy needs more time to get in shape to get back to the player he was before the hit. I played hockey and it takes time to get back into the flow...it's not an overnight thing.

camelcowboy
02-26-2007, 09:38 PM

Your right, but lets face it Timmy's injury prone. He comes back unconditioned during the season he'll have a knee injury by april. If you bring him back during the playoffs you can use him on special teams, besides he can still practice with the team.

YardRat
02-26-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm not really up on how the salary cap works in the NHL, but I still think Darcy gets some kind of deal done before the deadline, it just won't involve Biron.

Nighthawk
02-26-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm not really up on how the salary cap works in the NHL, but I still think Darcy gets some kind of deal done before the deadline, it just won't involve Biron.

I personally would like him to move Biron because I think he is a waste, but if he doesn't that's fine. However, he better get something done to improve this team and not waste a golden opportunity to win the Cup.

RockStar36
02-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Making one trade, like for someone like Kevyn Adams, is alright. Other than that the team doesn't need a whole lot. Especially is everyone will be back by playoff time. Not only will the team be seat, but rested and ready to go.

camelcowboy
02-26-2007, 10:01 PM

I have had my head planted in this for about three weeks, I am no guru but i think i have a good grasp of the Sabres cap situation. At the begining of this year the sabres had around 90,000 dollars in cap space. This figure included Gausted and Connolly. They then put Tim on Long term injury reserve which frees up his cap space "which is the average of his contract" 2.9 million. Goose going on the LTIR frees up around 713,000 dollars. So right now if Connolly sits out till the playoffs round 2, The sabres have roughly 3.6 million dollars of cap space. Now the sabres have taken up a position that Connolly will come back so that means they can add no more than 810,000 in cap room.

Kevyn Adams cap hit is around 725,000 dollars. He will fit with out dumping any salary. Say tomorrow if they claim Brian Boucher off waivers from Chicago his cap hit is 475,000 dollars we can fit him, If darcy grabs him we can trade Biron and use his cap space 2.128 million towards a player. Biron has gone on record of saying that if a teams trades for him and makes him a number 1 he will sign a extention with them.

Bottom line on no single day can a team go over the salary cap, so Darcy can only add a role player under 800,000 with out trading Biron. But if they want to make a trade they are going to have to move a salary, or shelve tim to the playoffs. If the sabres claim boucher, bet the farm marty is a goner.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/ is a real helpful site with cap info.

Philagape
02-26-2007, 10:03 PM
When did they say Connolly would come back?

YardRat
02-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks, camel :D.

Is it correct, then, that Buffalo could keep Connelly on the bench until the second round and trade someone like Stafford and another Amerk for someone like Adams and still keep Biron?

camelcowboy
02-26-2007, 10:09 PM
When did they say Connolly would come back?

Paul Hamilton beat reporter for WGR told Brad Riter on his show tonight he spoke to Darcy, the NHL has ruled that if the sabres use Connolly's space during the trade dead line. Connolly will be ineligible to return till round 2 of the playoffs. There has been some confusion on this but, it looks like the NHL has been monitoring our situation very closely and they have made this a official ruling.

camelcowboy
02-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks, camel :D.

Is it correct, then, that Buffalo could keep Connelly on the bench until the second round and trade someone like Stafford and another Amerk for someone like Adams and still keep Biron?

Adams is a UFA at the end of this year, but he is a grinder who can take Draws and kill penalties. He won a cup with Carolina so he has expierence. Think of a older Gausted, not quite as good in the offensive end.

imo,You can get him without trading any prospects. With the trades going down today, Sopel for 2nd, 3rd. Smolinski for a 2nd. Zebrus for 2nd. Adams shouldn't cost the sabres anymore then a 4th rounder.

Earthquake Enyart
02-27-2007, 07:07 AM
I don't share the Kevyn Adams love. We already have 10 guys like him.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2007, 07:25 AM
I don't share the Kevyn Adams love. We already have 10 guys like him.

Who????????

Earthquake Enyart
02-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Mair Gaustad among others