PDA

View Full Version : An interesting trend is developing

X-Era
02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I dont agree with Pat on Kelsays contract being ridiculous.

However, Here sits the Bills resigning Tim Anderson after we were very bad against the run last year. We resign Kelsay to a good contract when again he in part is to blame for our run issues (Im assigning blame to the whole DL unit). There are growing rumors that the Bills will also resign Fletcher who is small and we know is a issue against the run unless he has big bodys in front of him.

So, we went from TD who was crazy cheapo and never resigned anyone, also not signing anyone of note in FA. To our new FO who is hell bent on keeping our own regardless of whether a change HAS to be made to become better.

We all remember the Butler years with ridiculous contracts to guys like Irvin and Holecek.

Our new FO may not be that and most likely isnt. But are we willing to legt the guys we like go and UPGRADE through FA? This new resign-your-own trend seems to say no.

Id offer that this can be a limitation. If you never are willing to upgrade through FA, and you bank solely on the draft, how can you expect to make siginficant, tangible improvements year to year unless you rely heavily on rookies. That can be VERY risky.

That said, I had an issue with losing players without truly upgrading them. I dont know how I feel about keeping your own. It could be said that drafting rookies to puch your newly resigned vets is good for both the draftee and the vet, and may make your team better overall.

YardRat
02-26-2007, 09:06 PM
I still maintain that the defense's performance last year had as much to do with the philosophy it was run with as the personnel on the field. This team will get better with minor adjustments to both.

alohabillsfan
02-27-2007, 04:13 AM
I fault the offense and the LB's as much as the DL