PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo's best bet to replace Clements? Nick Harper

Don't Panic
02-27-2007, 08:32 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/02/bills-nick-harper270207.html

Highlights:

"The best of the bunch is probably the <ACRONYM title="Indianapolis Colts News">Indianapolis Colts</ACRONYM> ' Nick Harper. Though not nearly the cover corner Clements is, Harper has flashed a good deal of playmaking ability during his time in the NFL. The 32-year-old has 15 interceptions during his six-year career, including four straight seasons of at least three picks. The 5-10, 182-pounder has also demonstrated tackling prowess, with at least 66 in each season since 2003 (75 in '06)."

"Harper, a former undrafted free agent from Fort Valley State, has played in head coach Tony Dungy's Tampa-2 scheme for the last few years, too, which means he'd be an ideal fit for Buffalo. And because Harper's not an outstanding performer in coverage, he wouldn't come overly expensive for the Bills. Instead, the team would be able to add the Baldwin, Ga., native for a fair price."

I don't expect this to get anyone too excited, but this is a realistic plug to the departing Clements. It makes sense when you consider Youboty too... Harper could start this year and transition to nickel back next year when Youboty is ready to take the reins.

DraftBoy
02-27-2007, 08:39 AM
I dont see it happening, he has no logical reason to sign here

Don't Panic
02-27-2007, 08:40 AM
I dont see it happening, he has no logical reason to sign here

Wow, talk about the glass half empty.

patmoran2006
02-27-2007, 08:59 AM
He's right..

Having said that.. IT would be a great signing to replace him, he's very familar with the cover two.

Michael82
02-27-2007, 09:45 AM
I've been saying this all along! :bf1:

DraftBoy
02-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Wow, talk about the glass half empty.

What reasons does he have to sign here?

He knows going in his replacement is already behind him in Youboty, he is looking to get payed in a long term deal. So why would an established starting CB come to a team who has their future starter already on the team, so he would constantly be under the microscope and he'd likely only be offered a short deal bc they dont want to waste a draft pick.

Its called common sense not glass is half empty.

Don't Panic
02-27-2007, 10:27 AM
What reasons does he have to sign here?

He knows going in his replacement is already behind him in Youboty, he is looking to get payed in a long term deal. So why would an established starting CB come to a team who has their future starter already on the team, so he would constantly be under the microscope and he'd likely only be offered a short deal bc they dont want to waste a draft pick.

Its called common sense not glass is half empty.

He signs here because he has the chance to start (at 32 years old, mind you), because he'll be playing in the same system as he's used to, because Indy doesn't want him back, because he likes what he sees in Buffalo, and mostly because we give him a decent offer. Do those not qualify as reasons?

DraftBoy
02-27-2007, 10:30 AM
He signs here because he has the chance to start (at 32 years old, mind you), because he'll be playing in the same system as he's used to, because Indy doesn't want him back, because he likes what he sees in Buffalo, and mostly because we give him a decent offer. Do those not qualify as reasons?

Speculation on all those accounts, Im basing my opinion on fact not that he will hopefully like what he sees, and that we hopefully offer him a deal.

He is a vet of the system but at 32 he's going to be looking for one last pay day and we are not the only Cover 2 system in need of a CB. Tampa could use a good solid vet also, Chicago too if they lose Manning Jr.

Don't Panic
02-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Speculation on all those accounts, Im basing my opinion on fact not that he will hopefully like what he sees, and that we hopefully offer him a deal.

He is a vet of the system but at 32 he's going to be looking for one last pay day and we are not the only Cover 2 system in need of a CB. Tampa could use a good solid vet also, Chicago too if they lose Manning Jr.

Specualtion?!? Where in the world are we? Isn't this website the epitomy of speculation? That's a ridiculous comment. How in the world do you figure you're basing anything on fact? The FACT is, Indy can't afford him. The FACT is, we can. The FACT is, we need a corner. My favorite part is the end, though, when you go ahead and specualte who else may be interested as well, all the while using that as a justification of why I shouldn't speculate. I don't know if you read me wrong or what... all I'm saying is that he makes sense. Fair enough?

DraftBoy
02-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Specualtion?!? Where in the world are we? Isn't this website the epitomy of speculation? That's a ridiculous comment. How in the world do you figure you're basing anything on fact? The FACT is, Indy can't afford him. The FACT is, we can. The FACT is, we need a corner. My favorite part is the end, though, when you go ahead and specualte who else may be interested as well, all the while using that as a justification of why I shouldn't speculate. I don't know if you read me wrong or what... all I'm saying is that he makes sense. Fair enough?

No it doesnt make sense and all my points are why, and its not speculation as to who NEEDS a CB and who doesnt, I didnt say that they would be interested in him, thats your own inferenceof words I didnt say. The fact is we need a stop gap CB, not a guy who is going to be looking to be a starter and get paid as one. We have our eventual starter in Youboty, if we can sign Harper for a fair amount, then I am all for it, but if I were his agent to come here would make no sense to me, unless the Bills would overpay for me.

Don't Panic
02-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Ok, well define fair amount. I mean, is paying him $15 million for 3 years unfair?

DraftBoy
02-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Ok, well define fair amount. I mean, is paying him $15 million for 3 years unfair?

I dont do contracts, I let the capologists determine what is good or not. I only deal with personell anaylsis.

Don't Panic
02-27-2007, 10:47 AM
I dont do contracts, I let the capologists determine what is good or not. I only deal with personell anaylsis.

Gotcha... well, I would say that is a fair amount. Plus, the possibility would exist that he could get a second year starting assuming Youboty isn't ready. That increases the attractiveness of coming to Buffalo. The point is this - we need a quality, veteran CB to plug in when Clements leaves. If the coaching staff thinks Youboty is ready, then we're not having this conversation. If they don't, then we better start looking at guys like Nick Harper. IMO, he is a perfect fit.