Was there a better DE in free agency or the draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Was there a better DE in free agency or the draft?

Even though I'm definately the biggest Kelsay-hater here I'm going to be objective. Was there a better DE in FA or in the draft? Maybe not. I think Kelsay is a piece of crap but who was going to replace him if we are going to keep Hargrove rotating at DT? Or is it the fact that our fiscal policy eliminates us from upgrading positions?
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Was there a better DE in free agency or the draft?

Personally, while I'm no fan of Denney, I think we could have rotated Hargrove and Denney at Kelsay's spot and gotten the same production for less money. Then we could add a DT to take Hargrove's spot in the rotation, and Hargrove could always fill in at DT if necessary.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Was there a resonable option at DE in FA? No, Draft? Yes
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BillsNick
        • Jul 2003

Though this doesn't include Restricted FA's, Kelsay was the 6th ranked available DE. 1, 2, 3, and 5 were all Franchised. I think Kelsay is looked at as a young and up incoming DE around the league. May have over payed some, but didn't guarantee a ton of money and got a player who works hard, is getting better and fits

Comment

• Ed
          Dude
          • Sep 2002

Re-signing Kelsay doesn't prohibit us from still drafting a DE...

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Honestly, I think we could do worse than Kelsay, but there are two things that concern me.

1. If Marv is taking this cash to cap thing literally, we just used a lot of cap on an average player, which is a recipe for disaster
            2. The DL wasn't good enough last year. SOMEONE has to be upgraded, and now we have 3 DE's and 3 DT 's from last year under contract. I know, "but FA hasn't started yet!" Well, if you give contracts to your entire line before FA starts, it really doesn't matter because your decision has been made.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ed
              Re-signing Kelsay doesn't prohibit us from still drafting a DE...
              technically, no, but realistically- how many roster spots and salary cap are you going to tie up in a single position?
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Devin
                The Octagon
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                Even though I'm definately the biggest Kelsay-hater here I'm going to be objective. Was there a better DE in FA or in the draft? Maybe not. I think Kelsay is a piece of crap but who was going to replace him if we are going to keep Hargrove rotating at DT? Or is it the fact that our fiscal policy eliminates us from upgrading positions?
                Draft absolutley. Personally I think id rather have seen Hargrove given a shot there but whatever its done. TIme to move on.
                http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  Personally, while I'm no fan of Denney, I think we could have rotated Hargrove and Denney at Kelsay's spot and gotten the same production for less money. Then we could add a DT to take Hargrove's spot in the rotation, and Hargrove could always fill in at DT if necessary.
                  Best post of the day!! I can't argue with this.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                    • Sep 2003

Yep, we could have drafted the next Eric Flowers....or Michael Haynes or tyler brayton

Comment

• Devin
                      The Octagon
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                      Yep, we could have drafted the next Eric Flowers....or Michael Haynes or tyler brayton
                      Way to be one dimensional. You clearly know your stuff when it comes to the draft.

We also could have drafted the next Jevon Kearse, or dwight freeney.

Comment

• Ed
                        Dude
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        technically, no, but realistically- how many roster spots and salary cap are you going to tie up in a single position?
                        I don't know, but probably more then any other position considering our defense requires a lot of rotation and guys being fresh.

We'll probably still add at least 3 or four more players in free agency. If that includes a G, LB, and CB, we can pretty much draft whatever we want.

And just because Anderson was tendered, doesn't mean he's going to make the team.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

I 100% agree with both Op and Devin. We would have done better with Denney and Hargrove rotating at DE and focused on gettting that big run stuffing DT that we keep giving lip service to. But Devin is correct that it is what it is. Marv definately has a microscope on full power pointed on him. McCargo was a stretch that we didn't really need based on last years performance. If we get run on again like we did last year I'm going to be donating Marv's first year at the nursing home.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Devin
                            Way to be one dimensional. You clearly know your stuff when it comes to the draft.

We also could have drafted the next Jevon Kearse, or dwight freeney.

I bet I can name more busts than you can name superstar draft expert??????

Comment

• Devin
                              The Octagon
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                              I bet I can name more busts than you can name superstar draft expert??????
                              I seriously dont even know how to respond to that.

More draft busts........Uhhhhh ok. I guess if you were gonna brag thats one way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X