• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Trade deadline chat

happening right now

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.
  • Bill Brasky
    • Jan 2004

Re: Trade deadline chat

Justin (Aurora, CO): What do you think about the Biron/Conklin deals for Buffalo? Doesn't it seem like they traded a very good backup for an average (at best) one just to upgrade a 5th rounder to a 2nd? Weird.

Barry Melrose: (4:06 PM ET ) I also think they moved Biron to get some cap room. Ty Conklin has played in the playoffs. They got a backup with some experience. I think they would have loved to keep Biron.

---------------

Joe, Altoona, PA: With the penguins adding roberts and laraque, are they now a legitimate contender?

Barry Melrose: (4:09 PM ET ) I think they were before. In the East, everyone thinks they can win. Buffalo's beat up right now. Atlanta's been struggling. New Jersey didn't do anything today.

----------------

Adam (DC): Barry- What are the Sabres thinking trading Biron without getting depth at forward? I think this trade was a bust.

Barry Melrose: (4:11 PM ET ) Well, they got Zubris. That's pretty good depth. He's a great skater, good body. They were going to lose Biron in the summer anyway. I think it was a good day for the Sabres.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
      • Jan 2004

Jack, Buffalo NY: How much has the East changed today? Does Boston (my dark horse to make 8th seed) make it in? And who was the biggest loser today--any just plain dumb trades you saw?

Barry Melrose: (4:20 PM ET ) The Islanders drastically changed their team. Adding those guys - they're the team from the bottom that helped them. Buffalo stayed the same.

Steve (Michigan): Who are your three favorites for the cup right now?

Barry Melrose: (4:21 PM ET ) I think the three best teams now are Anaheim, San Jose, Nashville, Detroit. Those four are the best - better than anyone in the East.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

This would be SWEET!

Matty (Washington, DC): Will Zubris play for the Sabres tonight against the Leafs? They could use him in the lineup.

Barry Melrose: (4:28 PM ET ) Yeah, I would be very surprised if he's not playing. Very rarely it takes two days to get there. They've been told they've been traded. They'll go there with a clothes bag. Most players if they're traded on a Wednesday, they'll play Thursday and in some cases that night.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
          • Jan 2004

Matty (Washington, DC): Will Zubris play for the Sabres tonight against the Leafs? They could use him in the lineup.

Barry Melrose: (4:28 PM ET ) Yeah, I would be very surprised if he's not playing. Very rarely it takes two days to get there. They've been told they've been traded. They'll go there with a clothes bag. Most players if they're traded on a Wednesday, they'll play Thursday and in some cases that night.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
            • Jan 2004

Matt: Quakertown Pa: Why didn't the rangers deal jager?

Barry Melrose: (4:24 PM ET ) I don't think anyone wants Jagr. He was in Washington and the team got worse. They've made the playoffs once since he came to New York. He's virtually untradeable.

Comment

• RockStar36
              Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
              • Sep 2004

He just realized that?

D & S Sports

Comment

Working...
              X