Does FA Matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stewie
    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
    • Aug 2002

Does FA Matter?

Look at the last few super bowl winners, and the FA's they signed the previous year. This information comes from the KFFL.com draft tracker.

These guys seem to fit the definition of "mediocre".

Yet these teams won the super bowl. Pittsburgh and NE supposedly were teams devoid of superstars.

So, does signing big names in FA really matter?

2007, Indy
    Jose Cortez
    Cato June
    Rob Morris
    Adam Vinatieri

2006, Pittsburgh
    Charlie Batch
    Verron Haynes
    Chad X. Scott
    Sean Morey
    Quincy Morgan
    Sam Simmons
    Cedrick Wilson
    Walter Young
    Marco Battaglia
    Jeff Reed
    Barrett Brooks
    Brett Keisel
    Larry Foote
    Willie Williams
    Tyrone Carter

2005, New England
    Jim Miller
    Rabih Abdullah
    Kevin Faulk
    Patrick Pass
    David Givens
    J.J. Stokes
    Jed Weaver
    Josh Miller
    Bob Hallen
    Russ Hochstein
    Billy Yates
    Tom Ashworth
    Talifaia Atoe
    Rodney Bailey
    Dana Stubblefield
    Keith Traylor
    Don Davis
    Jeff Burris
    Hank Poteat
    Originally posted by Topdog
    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    I love Weiner.
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    also cheese
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Does FA Matter?

all three of those teams were strong teams the season before they won the Super Bowl...

It depends on how much talent you have on the team, and where you are in regards to having the money to spend on FA's.

The draft is the best long-term option for any team that wants to be successful, but when you have the money and the need, FA is the quickest way to get better.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Of course it matters. Like anything, how successful you are with it is how skilled you are at working it.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Elminster
        #1 Kelsay Fan
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        all three of those teams were strong teams the season before they won the Super Bowl...

It depends on how much talent you have on the team, and where you are in regards to having the money to spend on FA's.

The draft is the best long-term option for any team that wants to be successful, but when you have the money and the need, FA is the quickest way to get better.
        Wait....what? I'm not following you. Sorry. First we're heading in the wrong direction, and now we're a few FAs away? Keeping in mind that the bulk of this year's FA class is....mediocre. Where are these team-changing superstars coming from? Where did nearly all of the the rosters of those SB teams come from? The draft. Seems FA is more for depth and the occasional diamond in the rough for team-building...
        Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

I think FA can make a difference, but only if the team drafts well. It is another way to acquire players.

Look at New Orleans last year. They were able to acquire Drew Brees in FA, and that helped everything else fall in place.

Of course, it doesn't matter if you don't draft well. If you look at all the teams that have any sort of sustained success, they have done a good job in the draft.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Elminster
            Wait....what? I'm not following you. Sorry. First we're heading in the wrong direction, and now we're a few FAs away? Keeping in mind that the bulk of this year's FA class is....mediocre. Where are these team-changing superstars coming from? Where did nearly all of the the rosters of those SB teams come from? The draft. Seems FA is more for depth and the occasional diamond in the rough for team-building...
            I never said the draft wasn't critical, and I DO believe that we are a few FA's away from being at miminum a division contender.

By a few FA's, IM not talking Chris Keslay.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
            X