PDA

View Full Version : Now this is recruiting!

The Spaz
03-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Trio showing Adams, Spikes the town
By Mike Doser
Date: Mar 6, 2003

Pat Williams, Eric Moulds and Ruben Brown are dining with free agent defensive tackle Sam Adams and linebacker Takeo Spikes this evening at a downtown Buffalo restaurant. The three Bills veterans have emerged as the team's top leaders and have been actively involved in recruiting Adams and Spikes to Buffalo.

On Wednesday night, Williams and Moulds had dinner with the free agent Cincinnati linebacker.

Tonight it's a five-man party, with the free agent Raiders defensive tackle the primary attention-getter.

Heck, maybe Spikes is involved in Adams' recruitment as well.

These are promise-filled days for Bills players and fans. Williams, Moulds and Brown haven't seen this much hope for the season since 1999.

The players like going out to dinner with prospective teammates, away from coaches and administrators, because it's their chance to form a bond and make their pitch for the team. They realize it's in their best interest to draw the top talent because when the team wins, everyone enjoys himself, not to mention, makes more money.

Plus, they generally like fraternizing with other NFL players.

Still, Williams meant business this evening.

"This is our time with them. We got to get these guys signed," he said with urgency.

The 6'3", 315-pound tackle gave the impression that if the Bills didn't sign them to contracts, he was going to sign them himself and pay them out of his pocket.

That's how fired up he was.

This year's off-season has left Williams sky-high. He said Tom Donahoe and Buffalo management have been "making all the right moves."

In fact, he thinks if the Bills acquire Spikes and Adams that Buffalo would be among the NFL's top defenses this season.

Williams knows Spikes through autograph shows and other NFL player functions. He said Spikes hopes to be a Bill, not a Bengal this season.

"He doesn't want to be there," he said. "He sees Buffalo as a team on the rise. He said we got the offense and we'll have the defense with him, me, Sam (Adams), London (Fletcher), Jeff (Posey) and Schobel."

Williams also knows Adams pretty well and they talk quite a bit over the phone. They got to know each other through Texas A&M functions and through agent Angelo Wright, who also represents defensive tackle Ted Washington.

"(Sam) thinks me and him can help each other," Williams said. "That's why he's visiting."

Maybe Williams, Moulds and Brown will see that he and Spikes never leave.

http://bills.theinsiders.com/2/97598.html

4thAndLong
03-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Great find.

This team has so many leaders...I love it

Schobel94
03-07-2003, 09:07 PM
I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!

Brian H
03-07-2003, 09:09 PM
I LOVE THIS TEAM MORE!

Seano
03-07-2003, 09:10 PM
What happened to the moulds who was ordering pizzas tto the sidelines?
Would anybody ever thought he would become the team leader that he has??

Doc
03-07-2003, 09:16 PM
That whole pizza thing was way overblown. It was supposed to be a practical joke. What worried me more was him fathering something like 5 kids out of wedlock and with several different women, and not paying child support. Looks like he's grown up.

BufBlue4ever60
03-07-2003, 09:31 PM
Wow, I havent been this excited about a bills team since the Super Bowl years.

Spaz, where did you get that avatar? It cant have Reed in a old Bills uni, because last year was his rookie year.

BigMike68
03-07-2003, 09:41 PM
I LOVE THE BILLS 16-0 this year break the Phish record

4thAndLong
03-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by BufBlue4ever60
Wow, I havent been this excited about a bills team since the Super Bowl years.

Spaz, where did you get that avatar? It cant have Reed in a old Bills uni, because last year was his rookie year.

Isn't that Andre?

Buffarama
03-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Man this is great. To see all this internal bonding and leadership reminds me of the SB teams that ran themselves.

BADTHINGSMAN
03-07-2003, 10:00 PM
The name says Josh Reed..,. Where you dig that pick up? He could have had them on before the season started..

Judge
03-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Trio showing Adams, Spikes the town
By Mike Doser
Date: Mar 6, 2003

Pat Williams, Eric Moulds and Ruben Brown are dining with free agent defensive tackle Sam Adams and linebacker Takeo Spikes this evening at a downtown Buffalo restaurant. The three Bills veterans have emerged as the team's top leaders and have been actively involved in recruiting Adams and Spikes to Buffalo.
http://bills.theinsiders.com/2/97598.html

Does anyone know which restaurant they went to?

My guess? EB Greens.

Buffarama
03-07-2003, 10:50 PM
I hope it wasn't a buffet. If it was they'll be closing and filing chapter 11.

Tatonka
03-07-2003, 11:43 PM
you sure that is not don beebee? :D

The Spaz
03-07-2003, 11:57 PM
That picture was taken in hawaii for a photo shoot of some of the top rookies for topps sports cards. It is Josh Reed trust me I was there. I need to go back! Go Bills!

BLeonard
03-08-2003, 12:05 AM
The reason you see Josh Reed in an old Bills uniform is the magic of picture editing. I have a Topps card similar to it.

Since the Bills uniforms had not been unveiled at the time of the draft, the card companies have to edit the team uniform onto the card... Topps does this every year, but it's painfully obvious here, due to the uniform change

-Bill

Michael82
03-08-2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by BLeonard
The reason you see Josh Reed in an old Bills uniform is the magic of picture editing. I have a Topps card similar to it.

Since the Bills uniforms had not been unveiled at the time of the draft, the card companies have to edit the team uniform onto the card... Topps does this every year, but it's painfully obvious here, due to the uniform change

-Bill

They did some of those with Bledsoe this year that I could've sworn were Rob Johnson cards. :rolleyes:

McD
03-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by BLeonard

-Bill

What???? This shoot was in fact taken prior to the Bills unveiling of the new uni's last year. Topps got together with some of the top picks in last years draft for shoots to include them in the early run of football cards. I saw this in a Beckett's football card magazine. It also has a pic of big Mike wearing the older Bills uni, and wearing an old leather helmet. They had to use the old uni's because the Bills had yet to reveal the new ones. No picture editing there.

McD