• Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Now this is recruiting!

Trio showing Adams, Spikes the town
    By Mike Doser
    Date: Mar 6, 2003

Pat Williams, Eric Moulds and Ruben Brown are dining with free agent defensive tackle Sam Adams and linebacker Takeo Spikes this evening at a downtown Buffalo restaurant. The three Bills veterans have emerged as the team's top leaders and have been actively involved in recruiting Adams and Spikes to Buffalo.

On Wednesday night, Williams and Moulds had dinner with the free agent Cincinnati linebacker.

Tonight it's a five-man party, with the free agent Raiders defensive tackle the primary attention-getter.

Heck, maybe Spikes is involved in Adams' recruitment as well.

These are promise-filled days for Bills players and fans. Williams, Moulds and Brown haven't seen this much hope for the season since 1999.

The players like going out to dinner with prospective teammates, away from coaches and administrators, because it's their chance to form a bond and make their pitch for the team. They realize it's in their best interest to draw the top talent because when the team wins, everyone enjoys himself, not to mention, makes more money.

Plus, they generally like fraternizing with other NFL players.

Still, Williams meant business this evening.

"This is our time with them. We got to get these guys signed," he said with urgency.

The 6'3", 315-pound tackle gave the impression that if the Bills didn't sign them to contracts, he was going to sign them himself and pay them out of his pocket.

That's how fired up he was.

This year's off-season has left Williams sky-high. He said Tom Donahoe and Buffalo management have been "making all the right moves."

In fact, he thinks if the Bills acquire Spikes and Adams that Buffalo would be among the NFL's top defenses this season.

Williams knows Spikes through autograph shows and other NFL player functions. He said Spikes hopes to be a Bill, not a Bengal this season.

"He doesn't want to be there," he said. "He sees Buffalo as a team on the rise. He said we got the offense and we'll have the defense with him, me, Sam (Adams), London (Fletcher), Jeff (Posey) and Schobel."

Williams also knows Adams pretty well and they talk quite a bit over the phone. They got to know each other through Texas A&M functions and through agent Angelo Wright, who also represents defensive tackle Ted Washington.

"(Sam) thinks me and him can help each other," Williams said. "That's why he's visiting."

Maybe Williams, Moulds and Brown will see that he and Spikes never leave.

• 4thAndLong
    I'm Really 4 and Short
    • Sep 2002

Great find.

This team has so many leaders...I love it

Comment

• Schobel94
      The Sack Master
      • Jan 2003

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!
      Beware the sack master!

Comment

• Brian H
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Nov 2002

I LOVE THIS TEAM MORE!
        ProFootballCentral.com

Comment

• Seano
          • Mar 2003

What happened to the moulds who was ordering pizzas tto the sidelines?
          Would anybody ever thought he would become the team leader that he has??

Comment

• Doc
            • Dec 2002

That whole pizza thing was way overblown. It was supposed to be a practical joke. What worried me more was him fathering something like 5 kids out of wedlock and with several different women, and not paying child support. Looks like he's grown up.

Comment

• BufBlue4ever60
              • Oct 2002

Wow, I havent been this excited about a bills team since the Super Bowl years.

Spaz, where did you get that avatar? It cant have Reed in a old Bills uni, because last year was his rookie year.
              "If she keeps putting you on hold, it's time to hang up the phone."
              -- Larry King

Comment

I LOVE THE BILLS 16-0 this year break the Phish record

Comment

• 4thAndLong
                  I'm Really 4 and Short
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BufBlue4ever60
                  Wow, I havent been this excited about a bills team since the Super Bowl years.

Spaz, where did you get that avatar? It cant have Reed in a old Bills uni, because last year was his rookie year.
                  Isn't that Andre?

Comment

• Buffarama
                    Football-Sport of the Gods
                    • Jul 2002

Man this is great. To see all this internal bonding and leadership reminds me of the SB teams that ran themselves.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                      • Oct 2002

The name says Josh Reed..,. Where you dig that pick up? He could have had them on before the season started..

Comment

• Judge
                        • Aug 2002

Re: Now this is recruiting!

Originally posted by The Spaz
                        Trio showing Adams, Spikes the town
                        By Mike Doser
                        Date: Mar 6, 2003

Pat Williams, Eric Moulds and Ruben Brown are dining with free agent defensive tackle Sam Adams and linebacker Takeo Spikes this evening at a downtown Buffalo restaurant. The three Bills veterans have emerged as the team's top leaders and have been actively involved in recruiting Adams and Spikes to Buffalo.
                        http://bills.theinsiders.com/2/97598.html
                        Does anyone know which restaurant they went to?

My guess? EB Greens.
                        Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!

Comment

• Buffarama
                          Football-Sport of the Gods
                          • Jul 2002

I hope it wasn't a buffet. If it was they'll be closing and filing chapter 11.

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

you sure that is not don beebee?
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

That picture was taken in hawaii for a photo shoot of some of the top rookies for topps sports cards. It is Josh Reed trust me I was there. I need to go back! Go Bills!

Comment

Working...
                              X