PDA

View Full Version : A 2nd rounder for McGahee isn't a good move.

HHURRICANE
03-01-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm not a Willis fan but we are trying to get into the playoffs in 2007, right?

Why wouldn't you just draft his replacement while letting him run out his contract? He's going to run hard if he stays healthy. Is a second rounder going to get us over the hump? Plus if we bring in a veteran they are probably going to cost more than Willis.

Unless we work a deal that gets us back into the first round I'm not feeling good about this at all.

The Spaz
03-01-2007, 08:57 AM
We can trade that 2nd round pick and maybe move back into the 1st round.

HHURRICANE
03-01-2007, 09:03 AM
We can trade that 2nd round pick and maybe move back into the 1st round.

We are picking at 12 and 44. Both pretty good spots. What else are we giving up with the hypothetical second to get back into the first? Because if we are going back in to get another John McCargo than I'll just keep Willis.

Philagape
03-01-2007, 09:05 AM
IF we improve the o-line, I'm not worried. We can plug in a rookie and/or a mid-level vet and be just fine. A team that lost their star RB won the Super Bowl this year. RB is the most replaceable position.
Is there anyone here who believes we'll sign Willis long-term? I'd love to get a second-rounder for him while we still can.

The Spaz
03-01-2007, 09:07 AM
We are picking at 12 and 44. Both pretty good spots. What else are we giving up with the hypothetical second to get back into the first? Because if we are going back in to get another John McCargo than I'll just keep Willis.

McCargo got hurt you can't blame the staff or him for that.

alohabillsfan
03-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Gee, when we let him walk next year and get nothing in return then Marv will be crucified on this board, we can't have it both ways!

HHURRICANE
03-01-2007, 09:09 AM
McCargo got hurt you can't blame the staff or him for that.

Getting hurt wasn't the problem. Drafting a first rounder to play behind our new expensive free agent was.

gr8slayer
03-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Because if we are going back in to get another John McCargo than I'll just keep Willis.
That is really a stupid comment. The guy was a rookie and hurt. You don't get to decide when you get hurt. So we gave Losman four years but were only giving McCargo four games? Wow.

gr8slayer
03-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Getting hurt wasn't the problem. Drafting a first rounder to play behind our new expensive free agent was.
The C2 is all about DL rotation.

HHURRICANE
03-01-2007, 09:11 AM
IF we improve the o-line, I'm not worried. We can plug in a rookie and/or a mid-level vet and be just fine. A team that lost their star RB won the Super Bowl this year. RB is the most replaceable position.
Is there anyone here who believes we'll sign Willis long-term? I'd love to get a second-rounder for him while we still can.

Well unless we are bringing in Steincah and Dielman that's a big stretch. Our OL is still one of the worst in the league so plugging in a "rookie or mid level vet" and being "just fine" seems like a super strtch to me.

"IF" in your opening statement is a giant "IF".

Philagape
03-01-2007, 09:13 AM
That's why I capitalized it

HHURRICANE
03-01-2007, 09:14 AM
That is really a stupid comment. The guy was a rookie and hurt. You don't get to decide when you get hurt. So we gave Losman four years but were only giving McCargo four games? Wow.

I assume you posted this before you read my response. I would never judge a move based on someone getting hurt. I'll say it again. I've been very happy with Marv but the rotation argumnet is BS. Considering the massive holes everywhere drafting Tripplett's backup was stupid.

gr8slayer
03-01-2007, 09:15 AM
I assume you posted this before you read my response. I would never judge a move based on someone getting hurt. I'll say it again. I've been very happy with Marv but the rotation argumnet is BS. Considering the massive holes everywhere drafting Tripplett's backup was stupid.
Go look at every C2 team in the league, the all rotate their DL.

HHURRICANE
03-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Gee, when we let him walk next year and get nothing in return then Marv will be crucified on this board, we can't have it both ways!

Marv already knows how to let players walk without getting anything in return. That player is getting paid tommorrow. If McGahee is still worth something after this season maybe Marv can figure out how to use the franchise tag correctly.

ublinkwescore
03-01-2007, 09:25 AM

Why wouldn't you just draft his replacement while letting him run out his contract? He's going to run hard if he stays healthy. Is a second rounder going to get us over the hump? Plus if we bring in a veteran they are probably going to cost more than Willis.

Unless we work a deal that gets us back into the first round I'm not feeling good about this at all.

Running back isn't really a position that needs to be groomed, and Fairchild will work wonders with what ever RB we bring in - much like he did with Travis Henry.

That second rounder could help us move up and take another first rounder, or it could let us trade down and gain an additional pick in like say the 3rd - wasn't Ko a 3rd?

ublinkwescore
03-01-2007, 09:27 AM

And who exactly is Triplett"s backup?

McCargo?

geez, give the guy a chance - one season does not a career make.

bigbub2352
03-01-2007, 09:28 AM
I wrote this in another thread, i am all for a trade but it has to be a 2nd rounder or better, maybe a 2nd and a 5th, but we cant create a huge whole like this and hope to get a Joseph Addai, because there are way to many busts out there, and not many veteran options,

Willis would be our best option cause we are gonna get the best production out of him this year, he is playin for FA next year and his shot at a big time contract,
U need to draft a RB on day 1 regardless, so it doenst change our plan much
Plus we dont have to worry about our RB situation we got our stud in Shaud Williams(sarcasm)
Like i said we better have a damn good plan if we trade him, cause we need to concentrate on OLine before RB to go anywhere with anyone in the backfeild

HHURRICANE
03-01-2007, 09:45 AM
And who exactly is Triplett"s backup?

McCargo?

geez, give the guy a chance - one season does not a career make.

Let's agree to disagee. Moving back into the 1st to get McCargo was big stretch. As I said before we had bigger holes and we didn't need a 1st rounder to rotate with Tripplet when our OL was and still is a major weakness.

I do think McCargo will be a good player.

Elminster
03-01-2007, 09:52 AM
I disagree. With Willis obviously not being happy here and not working hard and generally being a negative impact on the team, Willis for a 2nd would be an excellent move. I believe we could replace him with a back in the 2nd in tandem with the A-Train or possibly one of the veteran free agents that will be available, and get at worst the same production, the vet around simply to tutor the 2nd-rounder and later provide a change-of-pace. Worst comes to worst, I'd even go as low as a 3rd for him. McGahee was below-average and considering his production in his first year starting especially, I question how much of that actually has to do with the offensive line, because I cannot remember the last time our line was as good as it is now(that's an indictment of the TD regime, if you're wondering.) McGahee is all potential and mediocre production...

justasportsfan
03-01-2007, 10:24 AM

RB's are a dime a dozen. Even if Willis does have a probowl season, do you think he's gonna stay with the bills next year? He's either gonna want a crapload contract or just refuse any offers from the bills since there's already bad blood. Get rid of him and move on. I don't see him as our future and if he is , it's gonna be one bumpy ride.

Marv inherited him and I doubt he's Marv's type of player.

We'll be lucky if we even get a 2nd for him.

Ed
03-01-2007, 10:28 AM
I agree with this. I was a huge McGahee fan and I defended him a lot, but RB is definitely the most replaceable position in the NFL, and at this point, keeping McGahee around for one more year just seems like a much bigger headache then it's worth. Even if he plays better then last season, I just don't see him being a positive influence on this team. Even if we can't get a 2nd rounder for him, I'm just so ready to move on and get excited about whatever new guy we bring in whether it be a free agent or draftee.

Devin
03-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Im not sure what the logic is here, and dont care to read the whole thread.

Point blank.........Nate Clements. Do with him what you couldnt do with Nate. Get value while you can.

Next year is a great RB class, so if we can get as high as a 2nd for willis now why on friggin earth wouldnt you? 2 2nd rounder, with the ability to potentially trade back into the first?

Yeah ill take it.

HHURRICANE
03-01-2007, 11:04 AM
I'll kill my own thread with this point.

1) Nobody knows who is replacing McGahee so I'm assuming that we could actually get worse at the position.

2) Everbody assumes that we can just stick any back there and he will rush for 1000 yards. Tell the Jets that who had a much better OL than us.

3) Everybody is talking about how much better our line is and we haven't drafted or added one player yet. Are huge improvement in 2006, via FA, was Reyes and Fowler so before everybody gets all wet in the pants they might want to wait and see.

Devin
03-01-2007, 11:18 AM
I'll kill my own thread with this point.

1) Nobody knows who is replacing McGahee so I'm assuming that we could actually get worse at the position.

2) Everbody assumes that we can just stick any back there and he will rush for 1000 yards. Tell the Jets that who had a much better OL than us.

3) Everybody is talking about how much better our line is and we haven't drafted or added one player yet. Are huge improvement in 2006, via FA, was Reyes and Fowler so before everybody gets all wet in the pants they might want to wait and see.

1. While i see your point, that can be said about any player at any position.

2. With our OL i dont assume anything. Upgrades will be needed there as well.

3. Our line played better the 2nd half the season, while I think they are stilla long way off a 2nd year of seasoning for the rooks should help. OG is the question mark.

If we got a 2nd for McGahee and our draft went something like:

1. Lynch
2. Siler
2. Grubbs
3. Jason Hill

Or better still trading up into the first and getting say Lynch and maybe Timmons....etc.

Im not gonna worry about mocks or anything like that as im sure everyone has an opinion. But the idea is at least imo trading Willis allows us some serious flexibility and a better chance to get younger guys who are less of a headache.

mysticsoto
03-01-2007, 11:24 AM
1. While i see your point, that can be said about any player at any position.

2. With our OL i dont assume anything. Upgrades will be needed there as well.

3. Our line played better the 2nd half the season, while I think they are stilla long way off a 2nd year of seasoning for the rooks should help. OG is the question mark.

If we got a 2nd for McGahee and our draft went something like:

1. Lynch
2. Siler
2. Grubbs
3. Jason Hill

Or better still trading up into the first and getting say Lynch and maybe Timmons....etc.

Im not gonna worry about mocks or anything like that as im sure everyone has an opinion. But the idea is at least imo trading Willis allows us some serious flexibility and a better chance to get younger guys who are less of a headache.

And then, with your 4 picks above, our Run D becomes only marginally better with Siler over Fletcher (and maybe not even...initially) and nothing is done on the DL to improve it.

I don't think we'd improve much over last year with that draft...

Devin
03-01-2007, 11:34 AM
And then, with your 4 picks above, our Run D becomes only marginally better with Siler over Fletcher (and maybe not even...initially) and nothing is done on the DL to improve it.

I don't think we'd improve much over last year with that draft...

Your also assuming that neither mccargo nor williams improve any and that Siler would be a down grade. even if as you said its marginal its still an upgrade.

Unless someone falls i this is your perspective you will be dissapointed come draft day.

mysticsoto
03-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Your also assuming that neither mccargo nor williams improve any and that Siler would be a down grade. even if as you said its marginal its still an upgrade.

Unless someone falls i this is your perspective you will be dissapointed come draft day.

Siler is probably going to be a downgrade only initially. I don't think he's going to come in and be faster and more experienced that Fletcher. In fact, Siler is not really fast at all - atleast as compared to Willis who is faster than some RBs!!! But probably after the 1st few games, he would begin to produce better or equal to Fletcher. He is a hard hitter/tackler and if he can improve in shedding blockers, he should make a very decent MLB.

On the D line...my main concern is to bring in someone who we can end up replacing Anderson with. Perhaps we can get Okoye. If we can't, maybe a lower ranked DT like...Turk McBride maybe?

But the whole point is, whether it be Okoye or Willis in the 1st rd, either improves our run D. Lynch does not, which is why I'm so against letting McGahee go this year!!!

mysticsoto
03-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Siler is probably going to be a downgrade only initially. I don't think he's going to come in and be faster and more experienced that Fletcher. In fact, Siler is not really fast at all - atleast as compared to Willis who is faster than some RBs!!! But probably after the 1st few games, he would begin to produce better or equal to Fletcher. He is a hard hitter/tackler and if he can improve in shedding blockers, he should make a very decent MLB.

On the D line...my main concern is to bring in someone who we can end up replacing Anderson with. Perhaps we can get Okoye. If we can't, maybe a lower ranked DT like...Turk McBride maybe?

But the whole point is, whether it be Okoye or Willis in the 1st rd, either improves our run D. Lynch does not, which is why I'm so against letting McGahee go this year!!!

Philagape
03-01-2007, 12:08 PM
The Jets' fourth-round rookie RB had more YPC than Willis did and only two fewer TDs with about 100 fewer carries. Leon Washington is a poster boy for why you don't need a big name RB.

justasportsfan
03-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Lynch does not, which is why I'm so against letting McGahee go this year!!!

I've been a Willis supporter up until 3/4 into last season . why waste another year by keeping Willis? If he's not gone this year he's gone next year. Might as well find his replacement now and develop him this year so we're good to go next year rather tahn wait for his replacement next year and then waste another year trying to develop him.

It's not like Willis is a guaranteed great back. If guys like Henry and Ronnie Brown had better nos. than he did, we can easily find his replacement this year without the headaches. Besides, there's no guarantee that he won't hold out. In the meantime we wasted what could've been used towards the draft because we decided to hold on to him. He wants to be traded , he's a headcase who hasn't performed admirably. Let him go.

madness
03-01-2007, 12:22 PM
McGahee's 2007 playbook (http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-400.html)

PECKERWOOD
03-01-2007, 02:25 PM
A 2nd round pick for Willis McGahee isn't a good move, it's a great move. Why not draft a player who will contribute over the course of the next 4-5 years versus holding onto an overrated and underachieving RB? If we can get an early 3rd rounder I would still pull the trigger.