PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who likes the Jason Whittle signing?

BILLSROCK1212
03-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Not only does he bring experience to our O-line but when he has played he has had success.....he is better than mediocre i guess the best word for this guy is underated

Great signing Dick, Tom, and Marv!!!!

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 06:40 AM
Yes...

You are the only one who likes this signing.

Then again, I'm smack dab in Homerville, so everybody will like this signing.. my bad.

I thought teams sign starters and then fill out roster with "quality" backups. Buffalo likes to do it the opposite way.. oh well..

Lets go, marv!

ZacGriffi~82
03-02-2007, 06:40 AM
I like it.

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 06:41 AM
Villarrial and Reyes brought "experience" to the OL.. that doesnt mean ****.. You are either good, or your not.

BILLSROCK1212
03-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Villarrial and Reyes brought "experience" to the OL.. that doesnt mean ****.. You are either good, or your not.Reyes deffinetly didnt bring experience....Villarial brought experience and was good he just got old and worn down

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Reyes did bring experience.. He started all 16 games at right guard for Carolina in 2005 on a team that made it to the NFC Championship.. THat's not experience?

Jeff1220
03-02-2007, 06:47 AM
I like it. It doesn't excite me or anything, but I think it's a good move. Surely he's better than Villarial.

BILLSROCK1212
03-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Reyes did bring experience.. He started all 16 games at right guard for Carolina in 2005 on a team that made it to the NFC Championship.. THat's not experience?1 year of tsrating experience isnt real experience

Elminster
03-02-2007, 06:50 AM
I just KNEW Pat would throw a hissy-fit. Reyes cannot play nearly as many different positions as this guy, and also isn't as experienced. . His age isn't a concern because
1)He's a linemen
2)He has a short injury history
3)He relies on technique and smarts
I wouldn't mind this guy relieving an injured guy on our line or even starting. Seems like the sort of player you don't notice...which is good where olinemen are concerned...

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 06:54 AM
I thought we were trying to get younger? Isn't this guy like 40?

Romes
03-02-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm not impressed...

but its hardly the demise of the Bills.

eyedog
03-02-2007, 07:44 AM
All this signing means is Gandy will not be back. Which is a good thing.

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 07:44 AM
I just KNEW Pat would throw a hissy-fit. Reyes cannot play nearly as many different positions as this guy, and also isn't as experienced. . His age isn't a concern because
1)He's a linemen
2)He has a short injury history
3)He relies on technique and smarts
I wouldn't mind this guy relieving an injured guy on our line or even starting. Seems like the sort of player you don't notice...which is good where olinemen are concerned...

Actually..Im not throwing a hissy fit.. There are worse guys they could've signed.. With ONLY youth at guard right now, it makes sense.

However, I sure as hell aint going to get excited about it or act like marv struck gold like some people on here surely think.. He's yet ANOTHER signing for little more than depth.. If this guy was brought in to start, we are in trouble.

AS stated above, I'd like to see us start acquiring some STARTERS and then begin to fill out our roster with some decent depth..

Romes
03-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Actually..Im not throwing a hissy fit.. There are worse guys they could've signed.. With ONLY youth at guard right now, it makes sense.

However, I sure as hell aint going to get excited about it or act like marv struck gold like some people on here surely think.. He's yet ANOTHER signing for little more than depth.. If this guy was brought in to start, we are in trouble.

AS stated above, I'd like to see us start acquiring some STARTERS and then begin to fill out our roster with some decent depth..

I agree with this :up:

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Well ya.. He could potentially be a good role player..

But with the FA's we're losing.. We have a MINIMUM of three starting spots (CB, LB, G) that we need to fill; and that's not counting some positions that could use an upgrade with what we have coming back (#2 WR, maybe TE and the other guard spot)

Sure the draft will be huge for us.. but this team is NOT good enough to rely soley on the draft.

I'm VERY interested to see who comes here next . This signing dont mean much, we'll know a lot more about the direction with the next one.

justasportsfan
03-02-2007, 07:52 AM
act like marv struck gold like some people on here surely think.. ..
show me were some people think Marv struck gold with this signing. I DARE YOU!

Dr. Lecter
03-02-2007, 07:52 AM
I thought teams sign starters and then fill out roster with "quality" backups. Buffalo likes to do it the opposite way.. oh well..

Lets go, marv!

Teams draft starters and fill in holes with FA.

Most top teams are not built on FA.

Regardless, no big names have been signed yet.

mysticsoto
03-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Watching NFLN last night, they were talking about how b'cse of the new cap conditions, this offseason is bound to have more trades than FA acquisitions and that the trading of players would probably be the highest it's been at some time...which may explain why everything is so quiet right now while the GMs are trying to work out the logistics of the trades they are trying to do...

Talk0fNewYork
03-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Better than Preston and Gandy, so i'm happy.

Statman
03-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Not only does he bring experience to our O-line but when he has played he has had success.....he is better than mediocre i guess the best word for this guy is underated

Great signing Dick, Tom, and Marv!!!!
The guy's a 32-year old backup.

Yeah, he brings a lot of things. Unfortunately none of them are what we need. If we want experience let's just sign the old HOGS and Cowboys lines. They'd probably be happy to be playing football again.

I can understand looking on the bright side of things, but let's be real here, the guy's a backup, nothing more. We have enough backups. Our starters are mostly backups. If he starts, then we're in even more trouble than we were last season.

The net value of this signing to the team was nothing.

Statman
03-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Better than Preston and Gandy, so i'm happy.
Says who?

How do you know how he's gonna play at 32 after two seasons of backup duty on a team not exactly known for having one of the league's top lines?

gr8slayer
03-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Well considering we only signed him to one freaking year I'm not all that pumped about it.

ublinkwescore
03-02-2007, 08:18 AM
The Vikings’ offensive line seemed to be most effective when Whittle was at right guard and Mike Rosenthal was at right tackle, but the Vikings released Rosenthal Thursday and didn’t make an offer enticing enough for Whittle, who became an unrestricted free agent at 11 p.m. Central Thursday.
Over his eight-year career, Whittle has started 42 games and has the versatility to play guard or center

eyedog
03-02-2007, 08:19 AM
He's not gonna be a starter. He's gonna be a vet. backup along the line.

Statman
03-02-2007, 08:19 AM
I like it. It doesn't excite me or anything, but I think it's a good move. Surely he's better than Villarial.
"Surely"? Really? I see Whittle as even worse than Villarrial. Both are a year apart. At least Villarrial started his entire career. As a 32-year old career backup, with absolutely no upside, there's quite of bit of relative optimism here over this signing.

Throw it into the "who cares" pile for me.

Our standards as Bills fans sure has slipped over the years. It used to be that we all expected greatness, not hopes and dreams based on the opposite of what reality suggests.

Statman
03-02-2007, 08:23 AM
The Vikings’ offensive line seemed to be most effective when Whittle was at right guard and Mike Rosenthal was at right tackle, but the Vikings released Rosenthal Thursday and didn’t make an offer enticing enough for Whittle, who became an unrestricted free agent at 11 p.m. Central Thursday.
Over his eight-year career, Whittle has started 42 games and has the versatility to play guard or center
Riiiight. And Bledsoe is great. Lawyer Milloy and Troy Vincent will really make our team better. Chris Villarrial is a stud. Now our line will be better with Gandy, Reyes, and Fowler. Hopefully Peerless Price will play like he did in 2002.

Do you believe everything that the sports media puts out?

We don't need any one-year signing backup Gs. We have a roster full of backup type talent for our OL. We need linemen who are capable of giving Losman some decent protection and opening holes for our RBs.

Quite a bit of discussion over an absolutely nothing signing.

TigerJ
03-02-2007, 08:26 AM
It was a ho hum signing, veteran backup help, cheaper than Gandy. It might be a sign Merz will get his chance to start, or Butler.

eyedog
03-02-2007, 08:27 AM
They will be drafting a day-1 o-lineman who can step in and play. Whittle is a backup, gandy and reyes will soon be on the unemployment line with Villariel, Preston has last chance in camp or he will be cut.

justasportsfan
03-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Do you believe everything that the sports media puts out?

HELL NO! Especially the ones written by Weiler and Moran.

Talk0fNewYork
03-02-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm excited because he's played with McNally be4 and will be a good fit.

Tatonka
03-02-2007, 08:42 AM
so you guys think that the first person on the bills list that they just had to have was a back up?

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 08:44 AM
he better be.

djjimkelly
03-02-2007, 08:52 AM
this is a neither here nor there signing by the bills jason whittle has experience with mouse mcnally already and supposedly he can play all the spots on the o line he has not beeen signed as a starter but as a multi option backup. so the signing is ok for what it is.

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Maybe it's time to cut Jim McNally. Seems like he keeps buying lemons in hopes of making lemonade. Maybe he's afraid to bring in a real lineman because he might actually have to teach him something. If I get a 3 year old to read a word that doesn't make me a PHD in English.

Ickybaluky
03-02-2007, 09:10 AM
I don't see any downside to Whittle. He received a $40K bonus with the minimum, so he qualifies for the Vet Minimum Salary exception. He basically will cost about half a million on the cap on a one-year deal. He can back up all 3 interior positions, is hard-working and experienced. He knows the line coach.

Good signing. Quality depth at a cheap price.

Saratoga Slim
03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
I don't see any downside to Whittle. He received a $40K bonus with the minimum, so he qualifies for the Vet Minimum Salary exception. He basically will cost about half a million on the cap on a one-year deal. He can back up all 3 interior positions, is hard-working and experienced. He knows the line coach.

Thanks for the objectivity.

I could not agree more. I don't see the downside to this move, other than it would have been nice to have the first signing get us fired up a little.

He's a decent backup. hopefully the starters stay healthy and we never hear his name again.

justasportsfan
03-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Maybe it's time to cut Jim McNally. Seems like he keeps buying lemons in hopes of making lemonade. Maybe he's afraid to bring in a real lineman because he might actually have to teach him something. If I get a 3 year old to read a word that doesn't make me a PHD in English.
the guy signed a versatile back-up for peanuts and already McNally must go?

Sheez,. the way people talk here, you guys wish Donahoe was back. Buying expensive big named FA who end up doing nothing was his way. The redskins way of dealing with the FA has done nothing for them either.

You also do not just go panic spending in your first year as a GM without knowing how things will pan out with a team that's rebuilding. Fowler, Reyes were not great signings but they didn't cost us much while Jauron and coaches were trying to get a feel of the players they inherited in their first year.

TD left a mess and you don't fix a mess by signing every big named player in your first year without knowing first if these guys fit the schemes that the coaches are trying to put in. Last I checked, this team is not called the redskins. The Colts and Pats didn't go panic buying either in their first year.

I'd rather have a GM who puts a lot of thought into his job rather than one that is simply impulsive.

Do I think this is a huge signing? Hell no. but let our FO do our job before we start to panic and calling for peoples heads.

Last I check everyone thought Marv did an admirable job in his first year. People doubted Jauron and yet towards the end of the year people were asking if he should be a canditate for coach of the year. No one even expected the bills to be in the run for a playoff spot. Relax.

eyedog
03-02-2007, 09:38 AM
so you guys think that the first person on the bills list that they just had to have was a back up?

As mentioned, he had better be considered backup/depth/experience. Until proven wrong I have to believe they will be drafting a o-lineman who can step in and play.

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 09:49 AM
the guy signed a versatile back-up for peanuts and already McNally must go?

I didn't need to read past you first statement. Our OL is full of versatile backups. Peters is the only legit starter on the entire line. I'm sick and tired of hearing how these guys are "cheap and may not make the team anyway."

When the Pats sign Adalius Thomas you are going to see why the Bills are going to continue to suck. The Pats don't make stupid pickups so let that be a lesson to everyone here. "Cash to crap" isn't getting us into the playoffs.

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 09:52 AM

Coming from a guy who's team is getting ready to sign Adalius Thomas. Thanks for the patronizing.

Maybe our fans need to start pulling their heads out of their ass.

Clements, Fletcher, Spikes, McGahee. What big names are coming in to replace them? Just curious.

Ickybaluky
03-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Coming from a guy who's team is getting ready to sign Adalius Thomas. Thanks for the patronizing.

Maybe our fans need to start pulling their heads out of their ass.

Clements, Fletcher, Spikes, McGahee. What big names are coming in to replace them? Just curious.

Maybe you need to not be so reactionary. Team building is a process. There are many ways to acquire players, and it is the combination of those players that matters. Just because the Bills haven't made a big splash yet, it doesn't make it a bad thing to pick up a good role player for short money.

I try to look at each signing on it's own, and not judge it by what other players are available. I can't see how getting Whittle can be viewed as a bad move.

justasportsfan
03-02-2007, 10:04 AM
I didn't need to read past you first statement. Our OL is full of versatile backups. Peters is the only legit starter on the entire line. I'm sick and tired of hearing how these guys are "cheap and may not make the team anyway."

When the Pats sign Adalius Thomas you are going to see why the Bills are going to continue to suck. The Pats don't make stupid pickups so let that be a lesson to everyone here. "Cash to crap" isn't getting us into the playoffs.

you talk like we're done with FA.

The problem here is not posters jumping for glee over Kelsay or Whittle. I have yet to see anyone react like the way we reacted when we first signed Spikes. It's posters like you , Moran, Op who are over reacting too soon about the FA. In case you missed it, FA has only been a few hours.

justasportsfan
03-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Maybe you need to not be so reactionary. Team building is a process. There are many ways to acquire players, and it is the combination of those players that matters. Just because the Bills haven't made a big splash yet, it doesn't make it a bad thing to pick up a good role player for short money.

I try to look at each signing on it's own, and not judge it by what other players are available. I can't see how getting Whittle can be viewed as a bad move.

Sad to say Some bills fans here are just whining for the sake of whining. Just because we don't react they was they do, we're cheerleaders?

Na, we're not cheerleaders. We're just not hypocrites. They b!tch and whine about the way TD did things and yet they want Marv to do things the way TD did it. I've given examples that tboth the colts and Pats weren't as successful in their first year as MArv was and yet it's a problem? Does this mean Marv is better than either teams? NO, but he's definitely not going about it the way TD did.

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 10:08 AM
you talk like we're done with FA.

The problem here is not posters jumping for glee over Kelsay or Whittle. I have yet to see anyone react like the way we reacted when we first signed Spikes. It's posters like you , Moran, Op who are over reacting too soon about the FA. In case you missed it, FA has only been a few hours.

Your right. I'm sorry. I should wait until the Bills get the big name free agents into Buffalo for interviews. I am having a hard time finding the links. Can you help?

justasportsfan
03-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Your right. I'm sorry. I should wait until the Bills get the big name free agents into Buffalo for interviews. I am having a hard time finding the links. Can you help?

There are no links to provide any info about what big named FA we've signed and there are no links to show Marv is siting on his a$$ either. So it's neither here nor there but What you and Moran need to do in the meantime is clean out the sand in your vagina. You guys are filling up the MB with tears.

eyedog
03-02-2007, 10:13 AM

LOL.

I'm afraid it's true, there will be no big time, big money free agents. If it was gonna happen they would have resigned clements.