PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Question

Valerie
03-02-2007, 08:23 AM
At the Caps vs Lightening game last night in DC, the game went into a 5 minute overtime and then into a shootout. I've never seen the shootout before and I have a question. How long does this last? Until someone scores or what? Both teams went through 10 guys before Tampa Bay finally scored. What's the deal with the shootout.

On a side note, on Monday night, after 250 women touched, kissed, rubbed and did whatever to Ovetchkin's (sp) game helmet, he went on to score 4 goals! We must've brought him good luck!

Bill Brasky
03-02-2007, 08:31 AM
At the Caps vs Lightening game last night in DC, the game went into a 5 minute overtime and then into a shootout. I've never seen the shootout before and I have a question. How long does this last? Until someone scores or what? Both teams went through 10 guys before Tampa Bay finally scored. What's the deal with the shootout.

For a shootout each team picks three skaters. Each guy gets one shot. If one of them scores, the other team must match. It's basically the best of 3. So if one team has 2 guys score and the other team only has 1 guy score, game over. If none of them score, or it is tied after 3 shots each, it just keeps going until somebody scores and the other team can't match - aka sudden death.

RockStar36
03-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Think extra innings in baseball

Valerie
03-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks. I thought that's what the announcer said. Something about 3 skaters each. But then it just kept going and going and going. So, if the Caps or Lightening scores in the first 3 shots, thta goal has to be matched in the first 3 shots. If no one scores, they just go down the line of players on each team until someone scores and there is NO match goal.

RockStar36
03-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Yes. They each alternate the first 3 shots. If they are tied at the end of 3, it goes to sudden death (extra innings style). In the sudden death round if the Caps go first and score, the Lightning would have to score or it would be over. If in the next round the Caps don't score, the Lightning could score and win it.

Valerie
03-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Okay, got it! Thanks so much to both you and J!! :heart:

JD
03-02-2007, 12:34 PM
I doubt it brought him luck, Ovechkin likes men.

MikeInRoch
03-02-2007, 06:34 PM
So you rubbed Ovechkin's helmet? I'm surprised he made it to the game...

SabreEleven
03-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Owe to be that helmet.......