PDA

View Full Version : Kelsay is 12 million dollar cap hit?

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Unbelievable.

• The moves leave the Bills with about $19 million in cash to spend, according to News estimates. That's the amount of money for 2007 in bonuses and base pay they have to give players, not the total value of contracts they can give out. It appears the signing Monday of defensive end Chris Kelsay will cost the Bills $12 million in money this year - an $8 million signing bonus, a $1 million base salary and another $3 million bonus he's likely to get this year - according to two league sources. Just when that $3 million bonus would be paid was unclear.

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20070302/1027966.asp

don137
03-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Wow if we used 40% of our available cap to cash space on Kelsey talk about getting kicked in the gut...

Bill Brasky
03-02-2007, 09:16 AM
wow. that is way too much money for a guy of his skillset.

either the FO is incredibly stupid, or they felt they couldn't get anybody in FA to fill his spot if he actually left and went into panic mode.

11$ million in bonuses?! WTF?!

Forward_Lateral
03-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Well, if they cut Holcomb, there's about 1.5 back I believe. Cutting Villarial must've saved a few million. I'd imagine a trade/cut of Spikes would save about 4 million as well. I'm not too worried, yet.

Romes
03-02-2007, 09:17 AM
If thats the case then next year he only counts for about $2 million against the cap.

Bill Brasky
03-02-2007, 09:18 AM
who cares about next year? i care about now. i'm sick of pondering "well, next year...."

i still don't get marv's logic - "we won't amortize for the future". so spend crazy amounts every year, limiting your buying power... or spread it out over the length of the deal like everyone else does and have a chance with a stable roster.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
12 million for this year is a bit much but does that mean that the final 4 years of the contract are very cheap cap #s?

Again I want to see what our team looks like after the draft!

Jaybird
03-02-2007, 09:20 AM
still have plenty of room 2 make moves dont worry it alll has just begun

THATHURMANATOR
Freeman with this logic we would hypothetically have a lot of cap room each year though.

Mr. Pink
This is what I was "complaining, whining, *****ing" whatever choice words some people deemed I was doing about his signing.

Cash to Cap boys and girls, get used to it.

I won't complain, *****, whine further, I've done enough already about this signing.

Italian Stallion
03-02-2007, 09:21 AM
who cares about next year? i care about now. i'm sick of pondering "well, next year...."

I agree this is asinine. I'm so sick of spinning the calendar ahead to try and find something positive. If this is true that KELSAY is pocketing $12 mil of our cap space this year I'm fuc*ing livid.

wow. I hope this clown is wrong. No one can justify that kind of cap hit what so ever.

Mr. Pink
03-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Freeman with this logic we would hypothetically have a lot of cap room each year though.

Except, when we go to sign another middle of the road FA. This ensures that we'll never bring a TOP name in.

Saratoga Slim
03-02-2007, 09:25 AM
If thats the case then next year he only counts for about $2 million against the cap.

which shows the theory behind cash to cap--every year you know you're going to have cap room to add or keep a few FAs, because the ones you signed the years before are already mostly paid for.

in theory, it also means we're going to spend right up to the cap for this season. So we have about 19M to play with still. That's still a useful number.

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm 40 and I've had 4 long time Bills fans(around my age) all die of cancer. I'm sick of next year!! **** this ****!!!

Bill Brasky
03-02-2007, 09:26 AM
what good is that, though? we have a lot of cap room this year and aren't going to do anything with it. i'd venture to bet that Raph isn't going to become more open with his wallet in years to come.

as the cap increases, it will only become worse.

they'll continue to blow their wad on one or two mid-tier guys and then have nothing left over to do anything else.

that is like buying a house with your life savings without taking a loan and hoping the plumbing won't break.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Except, when we go to sign another middle of the road FA. This ensures that we'll never bring a TOP name in.
I think we will be fine.

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 09:27 AM
which shows the theory behind cash to cap--every year you know you're going to have cap room to add or keep a few FAs, because the ones you signed the years before are already mostly paid for.

in theory, it also means we're going to spend right up to the cap for this season. So we have about 19M to play with still. That's still a useful number.

So in 2011 LA should get a Super Bowl and Ralph will be dead. Congrats.

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Anybody who STILL says this is a good deal..

I say.. "Get your head out of your ass" (see avatar)

I dont know what else to tell you, given the contract and the player that signed it, this IMO ranks as one of the single worst value signed contracts in the HISTORY of this team.

He's barely even better than Denney and Hargrove!!! Jesus, Denney had more sacks playing FAR less snaps! LMAO you gotta be kidding me..

Meanwhile, NE is about to sign Adalius Thomas.. WE blow 33% of our 2007 load on Chris Kelsay.. Thats why they are the Patriots, and we are the Bills.

It starts at the TOP, not on the field.

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 09:31 AM
BTW.. so much for a "backloaded" contract huh.. He's getting most his money THIS year.

Mr. Miyagi
03-02-2007, 09:32 AM
This can't be right. Is our FO that dumb??

Dr. Lecter
03-02-2007, 09:33 AM
No it is NOT a 12 million dollar cap hit.

The 8 million bonus is spread over the 4 years of the deal.

The cap hit is closer to 6 million.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Anybody who STILL says this is a good deal..

I say.. "Get your head out of your ass" (see avatar)

I dont know what else to tell you, given the contract and the player that signed it, this IMO ranks as one of the single worst value signed contracts in the HISTORY of this team.

He's barely even better than Denney and Hargrove!!! Jesus, Denney had more sacks playing FAR less snaps! LMAO you gotta be kidding me..

Meanwhile, NE is about to sign Adalius Thomas.. WE blow 33% of our 2007 load on Chris Kelsay.. Thats why they are the Patriots, and we are the Bills.

It starts at the TOP, not on the field.
Why must you be such a know it all man. WE didn't do anything. The TEAM we root for did. WE have no control over any of this. So WHY get our panties in a bunch about it. ESPECIALLY before we see how the rest of free agency and the Draft play out.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2007, 09:34 AM

This **** is so complicated.

Michael82
03-02-2007, 09:35 AM

Thank you. :up:

Dr. Lecter
03-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Although I still think it was a slightover paying of of Kelsay it is not a disaster.

If they only pay out a total of ~30 million, there will only be two or three more guys coming in. Maybe a Lulija type.

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Although I still think it was a slightover paying of of Kelsay it is not a disaster.

If they only pay out a total of ~30 million, there will only be two or three more guys coming in. Maybe a Lulija type.

8 million dollar signing bonus?! We gave Spikes 9 million. Why not pony up another 10 million and get Adalius instead us getting to watch him butt **** our QB all next season playing for the Pats?

Dr. Lecter
03-02-2007, 09:40 AM
8 million dollar signing bonus?! We gave Spikes 9 million. Why not pony up another 10 million and get Adalius instead us getting to watch him butt **** our QB all next season playing for the Pats?

The Spikes signing was when the cap was 30 million less.

Like it or not, players like Kelsay get as much money as superstars did 3-4 years ago.

Bill Brasky
03-02-2007, 09:44 AM
we all knew guys were going to get ridiculously overpaid.

problem is... should you overpay for an impact guy... or an average guy?

Michael82
03-02-2007, 09:46 AM
The Spikes signing was when the cap was 30 million less.

Like it or not, players like Kelsay get as much money as superstars did 3-4 years ago.
exactly! Hell, if schobel was a FA now...he would be getting at least a $18million signing bonus. Spikes would get at least $15 million. Times have changed.

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Why must you be such a know it all man. WE didn't do anything. The TEAM we root for did. WE have no control over any of this. So WHY get our panties in a bunch about it. ESPECIALLY before we see how the rest of free agency and the Draft play out.

You dont think I root for the Bills as hard as any of you do on Sundays? I do.. I buy my tickets to the game(s).. I buy my jerseys, t shirts, coffee mugs, etc.

but I'm not going to be a homer.. Im sick of the INFERIORITY that is our front office.. Im sick of this team trying to strike lightening in a bottle rather than going out there and putting a contender together.

If you're going to spend that much money, spend it on a difference maker.. Chris Kelsay is NOT a difference maker.. he's a slightly above average DE who plays on a team that CONSTANTLY is rotating their players.. nobody on the front four is even worth close to this contract except for Schobel, who sure as hell now has every right to want his contract redone.. Wouldn't you if you were him?

This team is losing two valuable starters on its defense unit whether you want to admit it or not. So what we do is tie up a ton of our cap money in a guy who is not worth it. It's a terrible deal.. terrible terrible terrible.

Maybe we will get a difference maker in here between now and late April, but iM starting to highly, highly doubt it.

Cutting Villarial and a few of those other bums is fine to me, if it frees up more money to make a big move..Even trading Willis and SPikes too, fine.. But if this was our big move-- This is just first-class proof that this is a cheap organization that when they actually do spend money, they spend it on the wrong people.

Bill Brasky
03-02-2007, 09:54 AM
wow pat, that is the first post in a while that i agree with you!

HHURRICANE
we all knew guys were going to get ridiculously overpaid.

That was my point exactly. I guess I need to spell it out better for the rest!!

patmoran2006

Regardless of whatever his cap hit THIS year is.. This serverly compromises what we can do in FA now.. THis guy better make the Pro Bowl next year.

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Cutting Villarial and a few of those other bums is fine to me, if it frees up more money to make a big move..Even trading Willis and SPikes too, fine.. But if this was our big move-- This is just first-class proof that this is a cheap organization that when they actually do spend money, they spend it on the wrong people.

Pat hit the nail on the head. We are freeing up all of this money for what big signing? You can't have a team of all rookies. Who's going to be the defensive leader? We did go 7-9 last year and not 12-4?

Don't Panic
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM

If you're the Bills, an average guy. A lot of this should have been obvious from the onset... putting a low market team $30+ million under the cap is the biggest tease a fan coukld ask for. OBD has gotten creative with their terminology/approach to be fiscally sound, but the effect is the same. Financially, this approach keeps us in Buffalo for the forseeable future (so long as people keep going to games, that is), and goign cash to cap (as opposed to simply not using all our cap room) at least brings some people in here to compete. This is why it is essential that our character/work ethic is high - because if we are going to be successful, its going to be by overachieving. With a low spending budget being the case, and the obvious truth that we are going to "overspend" regardless (as will everyone else), bring in 4 or 5 average guys instead of 1 or 2 "impact" guys and see how it gels. As to the argument that we keep bringing back the same "retreads", there is something to having the same guys around year in year out, especially when the word from a lot of players is that they like being a Bill these days. Good atmosphere brings out the best in players.

Philagape
03-02-2007, 10:06 AM
But I thought cash-to-cap means bonuses are counted against this year's available cash ... :huh:

Bill Brasky
03-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Financially, this approach keeps us in Buffalo for the forseeable future (so long as people keep going to games, that is)
Yeah, I don't know if you noticed, but even when the team was winning last year, people stopped going to games. So I don't see how casting off the biggest draws on the team and replacing them with career backups or rookies helps to bring those people back. The team has very little as far as excitement to begin with.

When this offseason is done, we are potentially looking at Lee Evans and JP Losman as our 2 "superstars". You think the Bills are irrelevant now?

I thought we'd be building toward a playoff run this offseason, not rebuilding for 2011.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2007, 10:09 AM
You dont think I root for the Bills as hard as any of you do on Sundays? I do.. I buy my tickets to the game(s).. I buy my jerseys, t shirts, coffee mugs, etc.

but I'm not going to be a homer.. Im sick of the INFERIORITY that is our front office.. Im sick of this team trying to strike lightening in a bottle rather than going out there and putting a contender together.

If you're going to spend that much money, spend it on a difference maker.. Chris Kelsay is NOT a difference maker.. he's a slightly above average DE who plays on a team that CONSTANTLY is rotating their players.. nobody on the front four is even worth close to this contract except for Schobel, who sure as hell now has every right to want his contract redone.. Wouldn't you if you were him?

This team is losing two valuable starters on its defense unit whether you want to admit it or not. So what we do is tie up a ton of our cap money in a guy who is not worth it. It's a terrible deal.. terrible terrible terrible.

Maybe we will get a difference maker in here between now and late April, but iM starting to highly, highly doubt it.

I DO agree with some of your points, but why don't we reserve JUDGEMENT until we are finished ADDING players?

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 10:10 AM
it is. whatever his bonus is, goes against our cap to cash policy.. so if he got 8 million bonus, and a 3 million base for this year, he counts at LEAST 11 million against our cash to cap policy.. or roughly 33% of what we will spend for the entire offseason

Ebenezer
They have the right to amoratize that signing bonus at any time and spread it out over the length of the deal...not that I think they will.

feelthepain
Wow, without the tender of Lemon, but with Miami's recent releases the fins might have more cap space then the Bills. I believe we are somewhere just over 20 million under the projected cap number, again this is without the Lemon tender so maybe we are about the same as the Bills. Nonetheless, I thought we were well out the range of the Bills in cap space.

Ebenezer
03-02-2007, 10:11 AM
But I thought cash-to-cap means bonuses are counted against this year's available cash ... :huh:
not necessarily.

Ickybaluky
03-02-2007, 10:11 AM
I DO agree with some of your points, but why don't we reserve JUDGEMENT until we are finished ADDING players?

Stunning use of CAPS, Thurm. Good job.

Forward_Lateral
03-02-2007, 10:12 AM
I think what it means is, the roster bonuses aren't guaranteed. Signing bonuses are.

THATHURMANATOR
Yeah, I don't know if you noticed, but even when the team was winning last year, people stopped going to games. So I don't see how casting off the biggest draws on the team and replacing them with career backups or rookies helps to bring those people back. The team has very little as far as excitement to begin with.

When this offseason is done, we are potentially looking at Lee Evans and JP Losman as our 2 "superstars". You think the Bills are irrelevant now?

I thought we'd be building toward a playoff run this offseason, not rebuilding for 2011.

THATHURMANATOR
Stunning use of CAPS, Thurm. Good job.
Why THANK you.

Romes
03-02-2007, 10:13 AM
They have the right to amoratize that signing bonus at any time and spread it out over the length of the deal...not that I think they will.

so he could count anywhere from $6 -12 mil against the cap?

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 10:14 AM

Dude, you are on a roll. Great point, again.

I hated the Bledsoe signing but I knew he would help sell tickets and he did. Everybody talks about the "NE model" but Tom Brady is a pretty high profile player. It's sad to say but McGahee has more commercial appeal than any other player on this team. Marshawyn Lynch is not Reggie Bush so don't expect 20,000 new season ticket holders.

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 10:17 AM
so he could count anywhere from $6 -12 mil against the cap?

It doesn't matter what Lechter and even Clump say. They are giving you a cap number hit. Remember, that Adolph Wilson has instituted the "cash to cap" policy. So if Kelsay is getting 12 million dollars, that's 12 million that we already have spent. Marv already made it crytal clear that this was the way it was going.

Don't Panic
03-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Since when did Buffalonians become suckers for a marquee name? If there is a fan base that is solely about the team, above and beyond any one player, its the Bills. The reason people stopped showing up was because they were sick of watching us struggle for so long. It was a build-up of many years of mediocrity. The same might be true for a little while next year, but by week seven, if we are playing competitive football, they will come.

Mr. Pink
03-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Since when did Buffalonians become suckers for a marquee name? If there is a fan base that is solely about the team, above and beyond any one player, its the Bills. The reason people stopped showing up was because they were sick of watching us struggle for so long. It was a build-up of many years of mediocrity. The same might be true for a little while next year, but by week seven, if we are playing competitive football, they will come.

That was proven false last year...we were competitive and had a very outside shot of a wild card spot and fans responded with? 4 straight blackouts.

Bill Brasky
03-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Right, but the problem is they are going to continue to struggle if they plan on signing mid-tier FA's and building through the draft. Success simply won't happen overnight.

When you're not a Super Bowl, or even playoff contender, how else do you put butts in the seats and keep them there? Talent. Draws. Players that people will pay to see.

Ralph wants more money - he needs it at the gate, at concessions, through merchandise... nobody is going to pay money to watch a guy like Tutan Reyes or buy a jersey of a guy like Robert Royal.

Being cheap with your product has a ripple effect on the rest of your bottom line. I think Ralph is getting too old to realize that. Put good players out there who've made a name for themselves - that can help the team improve and maybe even godforbid win us a playoff game - and people will be beating down the gates to get in.

The Sabres can't keep merch on the shelves, and have a waiting list for tickets. They have a good product with marketable players. The Bills have neither.

The Spaz
It doesn't matter what Lechter and even Clump say. They are giving you a cap number hit. Remember, that Adolph Wilson has instituted the "cash to cap" policy. So if Kelsay is getting 12 million dollars, that's 12 million that we already have spent. Marv already made it crytal clear that this was the way it was going.

Now you are saying Mr. Wilson is like Hitler. what are you ****ing sick?

patmoran2006
4 blackouts is going to seem mild compared to what happens when we lose Fletcher, Clements, Spikes and McGahee and replace them with young "prospects".

If that happens.. Last year was nothing.. ticket buying fans aren't stupid-- they proved last year they are sick of this crap.

Romes
03-02-2007, 10:30 AM

Marv also said we would spend up to the cap this year. So it does matter what his cap hit is.

As far as I understand the "cash to cap" thing, if it is 100% there policy, then Kelsay would count $12 million against the cap this year and we have $19 million left. Then the next years he'll only count for his base salary.

Bill Brasky
03-02-2007, 10:31 AM
i like to wait until the draft to reserve judgement, but even as a season ticket holder i am not feeling confident right now.

i was looking forward to the playoffs this year. if all these guys are gone and replaced with kelsay-types (no knock on the guy personally) and draft picks, i am not at all excited or confident.

raphael120
03-02-2007, 10:34 AM
BOTTOM LINE IS:

<h1>WE ARE PAYING WAY ABOVE MARKET PRICE FOR AN AVERAGE GUY WHO SHARES SNAPS!!!</h1>

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Eh either way it is fun to tailgate.

Bill Brasky
03-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Eh either way it is fun to tailgate.

:dance: :drunks:

Don't Panic
03-02-2007, 10:40 AM
That was proven false last year...we were competitive and had a very outside shot of a wild card spot and fans responded with? 4 straight blackouts.

Like I said, damage done. When we were 5-7, most people had the towel thrown in. And, to be honest, its hard to blame them. Remember, we went into the bye last week with three straight losses, two of which were blowouts, and the other to the Lions. The sky was definitely falling then. Two weeks to think about that? Hard to have that water cooler conversation and they say, "You know what though? I'm gonna go get some tickets for next week." Competitive is over .500, and the earlier, the better. If we are 4-3 after 7 games instead of 2-5, then we'll see if people show.

Dr. Lecter
03-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Right, but the problem is they are going to continue to struggle if they plan on signing mid-tier FA's and building through the draft. Success simply won't happen overnight.

But teams have not won big by spending big money on over priced FA's.

The draft is still where successful teams get their players.

TD tried the big name guy approach. DO we want him back????

And that is a fact.

Bill Brasky
Like I said, damage done. When we were 5-7, most people had the towel thrown in. And, to be honest, its hard to blame them. Remember, we went into the bye last week with three straight losses, two of which were blowouts, and the other to the Lions. The sky was definitely falling then. Two weeks to think about that? Hard to have that water cooler conversation and they say, "You know what though? I'm gonna go get some tickets for next week." Competitive is over .500, and the earlier, the better. If we are 4-3 after 7 games instead of 2-5, then we'll see if people show.

From a season ticket holder perspective, the NE game would have been a non-sell out if it weren't for all their fans filling the house. I have never been so embarassed in my life.

Don't Panic
The Sabres can't keep merch on the shelves, and have a waiting list for tickets. They have a good product with marketable players. The Bills have neither.

And how exactly did the Sabres do it?

Bill Brasky
03-02-2007, 10:46 AM

And that is a fact.
I hear ya Lecter, but teams rarely win by spending bottom of the barrel either.

I'm all for building through the draft. However, what good is it when their contract is up and our FO lets them walk?

I don't know about you, but I'm starting to become rather impatient with the losing seasons. I was so pumped for next season, thinking playoffs... now I'm trying to figure out who this team can draft just to stay afloat considering they are hellbent on cleaning house.

I've never seen a team with:

- so much cap space
- good players
- and a huge upside

be so willing to clean house and chastity belt the wallet

Bill Brasky
03-02-2007, 10:49 AM
And how exactly did the Sabres do it?

If you're insinuating they built strictly through the draft without acquiring big names in FA or waivers it'd be comical.

Drury, Briere, Spacek, and most recently Zubrus.

They're also spending to the cap, raised ticket prices, and have sold out every game. All things that Ralph says can't be done in an "economically ravaged" city.

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 10:49 AM

And that is a fact.

TD picked the wrong players, hence why we are catapulting the last 2 of his regime.

Corey Dillon did a decent job of getting NE another title when they signed him. McNair brought alot of stability to the Ravens. There's plenty of evdience to go both ways. Bryce Paup would have gotten us into the Super Bowl if not for the music city miracle.

I'm not asking for Redskins signings but don't think for a moment that an Adalius Thomas doesn't make this team instantly better and credible.

clumping platelets
03-02-2007, 10:51 AM
:movie:

The Spaz
03-02-2007, 11:01 AM
If you're insinuating they built strictly through the draft without acquiring big names in FA or waivers it'd be comical.

Drury, Briere, Spacek, and most recently Zubrus.

They're also spending to the cap, raised ticket prices, and have sold out every game. All things that Ralph says can't be done in an "economically ravaged" city.

Campbell, Brian
Kaleta, Patrick
Kalinin, Dmitri
MacArthur, Clarke
Miller, Ryan
Paetsch, Nathan
Peters, Andrew
Pominville, Jason
Roy, Derek
Stafford, Drew
Tallinder, Henrik
Vanek, Thomas
Afinogenov, Maxim
Gaustad, Paul

All drafted by the Sabres and make up quite a bit of the team.

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 11:02 AM

And that is a fact.

TD's aggressive approach in FA (Fletcher, Spikes, Milloy, Adams, Vincent) netted us a defense that was ranked 2nd in the NFL two times in three years.

He failed because he failed to properly address the OL with the same tenacity.. He relied on medicore vets and unproven young players to do the job, and they failed miserably.

Which judging by our OL, sounda an awful lot the same like Levy is doing. At least under Donahoe we had an oft-dominating defense.

Bill Brasky
03-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Campbell, Brian
Kaleta, Patrick
Kalinin, Dmitri
MacArthur, Clarke
Miller, Ryan
Paetsch, Nathan
Peters, Andrew
Pominville, Jason
Roy, Derek
Stafford, Drew
Tallinder, Henrik
Vanek, Thomas
Afinogenov, Maxim
Gaustad, Paul

All drafted by the Sabres and make up quite a bit of the team.
Drury, Chris - 1st in goals, team captain
Briere, Daniel - 1st in points, 1st in assists, team captain
Hecht, Jochen - 3rd in ice time (amongst offensive players)
Numminen, Teppo - 2nd in ice time
Spacek, Jaroslav - 5th in ice time
Lydman, Toni - 4th in ice time

A case can be made either way, but without Briere and Drury this team is barely a playoff team... and w/o Numminen last year our D would have been disasterous.

My point is, you can build a highly competitive team utilizing both FA and draft. The Bills want to pigeon hole themselves into one formula that has yet to work for them and people are growing tired of the excuses.

The Sabres FO has made use of the same tools the Bills FO makes excuses for.

Mahdi
03-02-2007, 11:25 AM
I agree this is asinine. I'm so sick of spinning the calendar ahead to try and find something positive. If this is true that KELSAY is pocketing $12 mil of our cap space this year I'm fuc*ing livid.

wow. I hope this clown is wrong. No one can justify that kind of cap hit what so ever.
In a normal cap analysis its not a $12 cap hit...only in ours.... but im ok with this method of spending..... its a way of avoiding having to lose your own players every year. Yes were losing players this year but Clements isnt necessary at his price, Fletch is old and dont fit, and Spikes may not be back to his former self. Therefore, I am all for what OBD is doing as long as they at least pickup 2 notable FAs.