PDA

View Full Version : McGahee to Broncos?

Saratoga Slim
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
From FoxSports.com, via the Denver Post:

"The move for Dre Bly is just the first of several Denver will attempt to make as they continue trade talks, including a deal for Buffalo running back Willis McGahee. It could take around a third-round pick to get the former University of Miami star. In addition to McGahee, running backs who might be available in a trade include Chicago's Thomas Jones. The team also could look at Jamal Lewis, cut by the Ravens. Travis Henry could be another option if he is cut by Tennessee. One player who might visit is Green Bay's Ahman Green."

http://www.benmaller.com/nfl_rumors_notes

JPFBillsFan
03-02-2007, 10:13 AM
I'll take a 3rd rounder all the way to the bank...
I hope he does well for himself where ever he goes. He seemed like a cool cat until "THE U" came out of him. I'll never forget watching that Championship Bowl game saying "oooooooh that was a nasty leg injury".....

Saratoga Slim
03-02-2007, 10:17 AM
I'll take a 3rd rounder over a holdout.

I'm very curious what the plan is if we move him out.

NorthCarBills
03-02-2007, 10:31 AM
If Denver offered a 3rd rounder, I'd take it in a heartbeat. But nothing less than a day 1 pick.

Comparing WM to TJ in general...WM seems to be more typical of what Denver likes in a RB - he's more of a brusing, punishing back (e.g. TD, Droughns, Dayne) where as TJ is a better all around, intelligent back who does a better job in the passing game.

Personally, I'd take TJ over WM any day, and I too am curious as to what happens next if he and/or Spikes are dealt. Do we package our extra picks to move up in the draft, use them in a trade for a player, or use each one as is during the draft? Will be interesting.

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 10:32 AM
If a third rounder is the best they can do. THen they have to take it..

But this is starting to get extremely sad.

Its only March 2nd and pretty much anyone who has their eyes open can see ifs going to take an awful lot of luck for Buffalo to be better than 7-9 like last year.

Like them or not (and most dont) you dont lose Fletcher, Spikes, Willis and Clements, replace them with rookies and prospects and expect to improve the next year.

Sad.. sad.. sad state of this franchise.

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm at a loss. Wait til you guys see McGahee's replacement. I can't stand Willis but I'm not too excited about what our game plan is.

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm at a loss. Wait til you guys see McGahee's replacement. I can't stand Willis but I'm not too excited about what our game plan is.

Now I know what how a Florida Marlins fan feels like.

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 10:47 AM
I have no problem dumping off WIllis and Spikes if our plan is to bring in someone liek a Cato June to replace Spikes, or a decent RB to replace Willis..

But that aint happening.. Say hello to four new starters who next year take over for Nate, Fletch, TKO and Willis
1) Youboty
2) Ellison
3) god only knows who
4) Another rookie or Atrain (if they can even sign him)

Sounds like a playoff contender to me.

Dr. Lecter
03-02-2007, 10:48 AM
If a third rounder is the best they can do. THen they have to take it..

But this is starting to get extremely sad.

Its only March 2nd and pretty much anyone who has their eyes open can see ifs going to take an awful lot of luck for Buffalo to be better than 7-9 like last year.

Like them or not (and most dont) you dont lose Fletcher, Spikes, Willis and Clements, replace them with rookies and prospects and expect to improve the next year.

Sad.. sad.. sad state of this franchise.

Dude chill.

First, 3 of those guys started on the defense that you bash so often. You ***** about Kelsay coming back (because the defense sucked) and now you ***** about them letting guys from that defense go. Which is it? Do they need to keep the defensive players or let them go? You talk on both sides here in a way that would make most NYS politicians proud.

Second Willis can be replaced. You know as well as I do that a RB can fill in as a rookie as easy or easier than any other position.

Finally you were doom and gloom last year. 4 wins. That was it.

Marv was here one year and the team improved.

Before you go nuts and ***** about everything, lets see how things work out.

Don't Panic
03-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Now I know what how a Florida Marlins fan feels like.

Not quite... they got a championship before they purged. Still, peace out Willis. Addition by subtraction. Give that 3rd right to Chicago for TJones and draft Leonard in the 2nd. Then tell me what a sad state of affairs our backfield is in.

The Spaz
03-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Dude chill.

First, 3 of those guys started on the defense that you bash so often. You ***** about Kelsay coming back (because the defense sucked) and now you ***** about them letting guys from that defense go. Which is it? Do they need to keep the defensive players or let them go? You talk on both sides here in a way that would make most NYS politicians proud.

Second Willis can be replaced. You know as well as I do that a RB can fill in as a rookie as easy or easier than any other position.

I agree with you Lecter!:dance: :respect: :dance: :beers:

raphael120
03-02-2007, 10:51 AM
i think what pat means is we are going to miss them next year if we fill the hole they leave with a "depth" signing like this new guy for the Oline is. Fletch, Spikes, McGahee are bonafide STARTERS. The Bills direction last year, and seems to be what it is this year, is to bring in backups and see what they can do here. I AM SICK OF SIGNING BACKUPS! our TEAM is DEPTH. But the DEPTH starts at SECOND STRING.

I WANT STARTERS.

FIRST STRING!

Saratoga Slim
03-02-2007, 10:51 AM
If Denver offered a 3rd rounder, I'd take it in a heartbeat. But nothing less than a day 1 pick.

Comparing WM to TJ in general...WM seems to be more typical of what Denver likes in a RB - he's more of a brusing, punishing back (e.g. TD, Droughns, Dayne) where as TJ is a better all around, intelligent back who does a better job in the passing game.

Personally, I'd take TJ over WM any day, and I too am curious as to what happens next if he and/or Spikes are dealt. Do we package our extra picks to move up in the draft, use them in a trade for a player, or use each one as is during the draft? Will be interesting.

I'd also take Thomas Jones over Willis any day. Anyone hear what the Bears are looking for for TJ?

Bert102176
03-02-2007, 11:26 AM
and I don't blame Marv I blame Ralph Wilson Jr.

don137
03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Dude chill.

Agreed. I am starting to think he is related to Wys. Its not that everyone is happy with all the moves they make but no need to criticize every move. You keep a guy and there is criticism. You let someone go and there is criticism.

justasportsfan
03-02-2007, 11:36 AM

:roflmao:

justasportsfan
03-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Dude chill.

the guy conradicts himself and he can't even see it. Funny.

SquishDaFish
03-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Pat must be able to see the future LMAO. Hey Wys I mean Pat FA is even over. IT JUST STARTED! Clam the hell down bro.

HHURRICANE
03-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Pat has every right to be a cynic. So far,

We have signed:

Wire, Kelsay, Greer, Anderson, Hargrove and Whittle.

We have lost:

Clements and Fletcher.

We are uncertain about Kiwi and A-train.

We have a scrub starter from the worst line in the League at OBD.

We are looking to get rid of Spikes and McGahee that might net us a 2nd and 4th rounder.

I know it's early but excuse me if I'm not overly excited in light of the BS press conference and the fact that a third of our imaginary Cap has been used on a DE that has 12 sacks in 4 years.

Those are facts so take the Homer glasses off for a minute.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-02-2007, 02:03 PM
I'll take a 3rd rounder over a holdout.

I'm very curious what the plan is if we move him out.

If the Bills can trade McGahee to Denver for their 3rd Round pick and Spikes to Cincy or whoever for a 2nd round pick, here's what they can do:
Draft Okoye with the 12th pick in the first round. Take Bush or Irons with their own pick early in the second round to replace McGahee. Draft Siler, Harris or the best OLB (Alexander?) remaining on the board with the 2nd round pick obtained for Spikes. Take McCauley or the best CB remaining on the board early in the 3rd Round. Select Ramirez or the best interior offensive lineman available with Denver's 3rd Round pick. Take Rory Johnson, LB, Miss. or the best TE available (Patrick?) early in Round 4.
Okoye solidifies the 4-man DT rotation with McCargo, K.Williams and Tripplett. Bush or Irons will run harder and no worse a blocker/receiver than McGahee. Depending on whether the LB taken in Round 2 is a MLB or OLB, Crowell either plays MLB or OLB, with Ellison and the rookie starting with him--the rookie will make mistakes, but will be a better fit in the Cover 2 than Fletcher-Baker and more explosive than Spikes was last season. Youboty was drafted last year to replace Clements and is given the opportunity to step up and do so. The rookie CB taken in Round 3 of a draft that is deep at the position should have enough talent to challenge for the nickleback job as a rookie, while being groomed to challenge McGee for the starting job opposite Youboty in his second year. The interior offensive lineman probably doesn't contribute much as a rookie (most rookie O-linemen don't), but is groomed and should be ready to challenge for a starting job his second season. The LB or TE taken in Round 4 immediately provides depth at a position where the Bills are thin while being groomed to play a greater role on the team in his second year.
Does this make the Bills appreciably better than they were last season? Probably not. But, it doesn't make them that much worse this coming season and will make them better as these rookies develop and become part of the core of young players that the team is being rebuilt around. While they will make "rookie mistakes" that will hurt the team (all rookies do) and will not have the "star power" of Clements, Fletcher-Baker, McGahee or Spikes, any one (or all) of the first day picks could very well develop into a star in his own right. And, with the possible exception of Clements, there is every reason to believe that they will perform no worse than the players that they will be replacing did last season.
Fact: The Bills were never going to give Clements the kind of money that he is looking to be paid--in any event, it would be foolish of them to tie up that kind of money in one CB--so they were going to have to replace him this season, regardless. The Bills drafted Youboty last year to replace Clements and were going to give him the chance to do so in any event. This was a move that was going to happen no matter what. If the rookie drafted to replace Clements on the roster stays healthy, he will likely contribute more to the team than Youboty did last season. Will the Bills be worse off as a result? Probably. It depends on how well Youboty plays. But, this was a hit that the Bills were going to have to take in any event because re-signing Clements for the kind of money he will command simply didn't make sense for the team.
Fact: While Fletcher-Baker was a great team leader and made a lot of tackles, he is a 32 year old MLB looking for a multi-year, big money contract who isn't the kind of "attacking" LB that the Bills need in their Tampa 2 defense, who, as a result, made a lot of his tackles 5-8 yards downfield for a defense that was unable to stop the run. While it will be difficult to replace his leadership, it would be unwise for the Bills to commit the kind of money and years that Fletcher-Baker is seeking to an aging MLB who is not a good fit in their defensive system. Whether at OLB or MLB, the rookie selected in the 2nd Round to replace Fletcher-Baker in the starting lineup will not only be younger and faster than Fletcher-Baker, but a better fit in the Tampa 2 defense. Yes, he will make rookie mistakes and will not provide the kind of "star power" and leadership that Fletcher-Baker provided, but he will become a part of the core of talented, young players that the team is building around. Barring injury, he will be with the team longer than the aging Fletcher-Baker would be if re-signed. And, he will, initially, be cheaper than Fletcher-Baker, thereby allowing the Bills to use some of the money saved by not re-signing Fletcher-Baker to retain one or more of their core young players in the future.
Fact: Willis McGahee is unhappy playing in Buffalo and wants to leave, he has been a disappointment--no better than an average RB most weeks, he does not always run hard, is a poor blocker and is reputed to not always be familiar with the plays. And, he has alienated the team's fan base with his comments about moving the team to Toronto and his irresponsible personal behavior. Willis wants a big-money contract extension or out of Buffalo and, given his production and personal behavior, the Bills are not going to give him the kind of money that he and his agent are seeking. Even if McGahee goes on to be a 1,500 yard rusher elsewhere, avoiding the headache that McGahee's contract situation would inevitably cause and getting any kind of draft pick for him in the process would be a major positive for the Bills. Even as a rookie, Bush or Irons would run harder more consistently than McGahee has for the Bills and would be no worse as a pass blocker or receiver than Willis. The Bills would be better off with either one of them than they were last season or would be if the Bills were to keep a disgruntled McGahee for this season.
Fact: For all of his "star power" and previous achievements, Takeo Spikes has done almost nothing for the Bills for the past two seasons, there are serious concerns about whether he will ever regain his pre-injury explosiveness that made him one of the best LBs in the NFL, he is 30 years old and in the last 2 years of his contract and, like Fletcher-Baker, is likely to want more money and years than it would be wise for the Bills to commit in order to re-sign him, and he is scheduled to make in excess of $ 4 million this season and more than $ 6 million next year. In addition, Spikes has publicly complained about the direction that the team has taken under its current management, raising questions about whether he is willing to buy into their approach to the game, and he was out-played by last season by the rookie who replaced him in the starting lineup when he was injured. Despite his rookie mistakes, Keith Ellison played better than Spikes last season and can be expected to play even better than he did last year as he gains experience. While Ellison may or may not ever become the player that Spikes WAS before his Achilles injury and it is yet possible that Spikes will regain his pre-injury form, nevertheless, Ellison has already played better than Spikes HAS BEEN PLAYING recently. If the Bills doctors have doubts about Spikes regaining his pre-injury form and a team is willing to offer a second round draft pick for Spikes, there is no reason for the Bills to retain Spikes--particularly at the price that his present contract commands. Not when that 2nd Round pick can fetch a talented, young, explosive LB in a draft that is deep at the position and the Bills can use that pick on a player who can step into their starting lineup immediately next to Crowell and Ellison. The Bills would lose little or nothing compared to the performance of their LBs last season. They could use a later round pick on another young LB that they could groom to provide depth behind their starters or sign an inexpensive veteran FA for that purpose. That would free up money this year and in the future that could be used to shore up other positions or to extend the contract of one of their young core players. It is possible that Spikes might regain his pre-injury form, but, even if he does, the Bills would be faced with the prospect of either having to extend his contract for more money and years than would be prudent going into next year or of losing him to free agency and getting nothing for him. At worst, the Bills would only get somewhat less from Ellison than they would get from a rejuvenated Spikes this season, while, at best they would have an improved Ellison replacing a hobbled Spikes who Ellison out-played as a rookie. Either way, though, the Bills would be no worse off than they were last season and would probably be somewhat better. And, in the longer term, the team would be younger and healthier.
While the Bills would be losing "star power"--and probably the affections of some of their fan base--in the short term, they would only be marginally worse of this year were they to part company with Clements, Fletcher-Baker, McGahee and Spikes and replace them with rookies in this draft than they were last season. In the long-term, however, as these rookies develop and become second-year men and part of the core of young, talented players that the Bills are putting together to make a sustained run at competing for a title, the team would be better off. With the exception of Clements--who the team would be foolish to invest so much money in--the team would be shedding expensive, aging and/or underperforming players that they would probably not want to re-sign and would lose within the next two years with younger, equally talented, more committed and less expensive players who would become part of the core of young players that the team is assembling for a sustained run at a title, while, at the same time, saving money that could, then, be used to add those one or two premium free agents that would make the team truly competitive or to extend the contracts of some of their core players so that they could keep the team together and would not lose them to free agency down the road.
Now, I know that this isn't the kind of plan that a lot of Bills fans would prefer to have the team follow, but it is a plan that has the potential to make the team significantly better in the near future without making it appreciably worse than it was last season. And, it may very well be similar to the kind of plan that the Bills' management has been working to implement.
Of course, it's not "sexy" and lacks "star power", but what it lacks in terms of high-profile free agent signings and well-known "stars" is offset by the assembling of a core of talented, young players that the team will be in a position to retain long enough for the Bills to make a sustained run at competing for a Super Bowl title.

camelcowboy
03-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Willis could have 2,000 yards with that team. Damn Zone blocking

mysticsoto
03-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Good pts, LTBF. Let's also keep in mind that even if with a rookie LB, CB and rotating DT, the DT (Okoye) is an order of magnitude better than Anderson. The LB would be faster than Fletcher, even if he does make occasional mistakes and CB...may not be on par, but with a cover 2, is might be less important. I suspect that the gains made with Okoye would outweigh or atleast come close to offsetting the inexperienced MLB and CB.

On the other hand, a RB that runs hard, and a new line that is a significant wall with Peters (LT), Dockery (LG) ?, Fowler (C), Walker/Merz (RG) and Pennington will be probably one of the biggest and heaviest lines in the league and may provide for significant improvement in offense by giving JP more time or a new RB such as Michael Bush significant holes to run through. In fact, if we were to get Bush, who is a very Bettis like player, I suspect it would be hard for LBs and Safeties to take him down once he's got a full steam going and is past the Oline - I can picture him consistently dragging players for another 5-7 yds...

That would be some smash mouth football we could play and if we can up the performance and scoring of the offense, the opponents offense will be put into a position of having to pass more to "catch up" - playing to our strength of the D.

Let's hope we get Dockery and this indeed becomes feasible!!!