PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency is for Losers

madness
03-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Some of you need to take this to heart.

Message to Buffalo fans. Relax. (http://community.13wham.com/blogs/open_mike/archive/2007/03/01/1358394.aspx)

Quick. Name the big free agent signing that helped the Colts win a Super Bowl. Still thinking? I’ll give you a hint. His nickname is “The Edge”, but he doesn’t play for U2. He plays for Arizona Yes the big free agent signing that put the Colts over the top was made by the Cardinals. They gave Edgerrin James big, big money. Indy, meanwhile, went with a rookie and a backup and got a Lombardi trophy.
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P> </O:P>
Now don’t start revving up the emails, telling me how they won it because of Peyton, Bob Sanders and Tony Dungy. I know that. But they also won it because they spread their money around and did not get caught up in over-paying during the NFL’s silly season. Let the Cardinals do that. Or the Redskins. Or the Falcons. They are the kind of teams that win in March, but lose and December.
<O:P> </O:P>
At midnight on Friday the shopping begins and Bills fans are going to be upset. They are going to see Nate Clements walk. (or maybe run, when you see the size of the signing bonus he will get) They will see London Fletcher smile when he gets a reward better than any Pro Bowl vote. His deal will have more zeros than the guest list at a Paris Hilton party. But that noise then will be nothing compared to the howling that goes on when Buffalo is not even a player in the sweepstakes for guys like Adalius Thomas (Ravens) and Max Starks (Steelers).
<O:P> </O:P>
Here is something to keep in mind. Teams that overpay lose. That means giving too much money to keep your own guys. That means spending too much money for some else’s. Look at the teams that are routinely ripped, even by their own fans, at this time of the year. The Patriots. The Steelers. The Eagles. They don’t play that game. They pick and choose their spots. They refuse to give in. They let Washington break the bank for Antwaan Randle El. They let the Titans give Givens obscene cash. Has anyone heard from Bobby Taylor since he flew from Philly?

Mr. Pink
03-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Quick? Adam Vinatieri!

Devin
03-02-2007, 11:40 AM
:rofl: