X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmifli
    • Nov 2006

Way Overpaid!

Please stop posting that anybody is overpaid. They aren't.

Over the past three years The cap has expanded and salaries haven't kept up. Too many teams have too much space for salaries to stay the same.

It's basic supply and demand. There is a big supply of cap space. Because of that, most teams signed as many of their own free agents as they could. That lead to a small supply of quality free agents. Which means there will be a greater demand for them.

So we're left with lot's of money and not much to spend it on. What did you expect to happen?

These contracts just reflect the huge expansion in available cap space that has happened in the last three years. Player salaries just caught up to league revenues.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Way Overpaid!

You are.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
      • Jul 2005

Can't wait to see all the holdouts this summer.
      Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• jimmifli
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by YardRat
        You are.
        I am overpaid. But that just makes up for a few years ago when I ddn't get paid.

Comment

• jimmifli
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
          Can't wait to see all the holdouts this summer.
          Holdouts don't often work out very well for the player so I doubt there will be many more than usual, but there sure will be a lot of threats!

Comment

• camelcowboy
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jimmifli
            Please stop posting that anybody is overpaid. They aren't.

Over the past three years The cap has expanded and salaries haven't kept up. Too many teams have too much space for salaries to stay the same.

It's basic supply and demand. There is a big supply of cap space. Because of that, most teams signed as many of their own free agents as they could. That lead to a small supply of quality free agents. Which means there will be a greater demand for them.

So we're left with lot's of money and not much to spend it on. What did you expect to happen?

These contracts just reflect the huge expansion in available cap space that has happened in the last three years. Player salaries just caught up to league revenues.
            I would say nate is overpaid, just the fact that he is the highest paid defensive player now. Are you kidding, I could care less about supply and demand. Clements is lucky, he's not the best defensive player in the league by a long shot. The numbers wouldn't shock me for Ed Reed, for Champ Baily for Nate Freaken Clements. Overpaid is a word that i will use. He's good he's not the best.

Comment

• jimmifli
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by camelcowboy
              I would say nate is overpaid, just the fact that he is the highest paid defensive player now. Are you kidding, I could care less about supply and demand. Clements is lucky, he's not the best defensive player in the league by a long shot. The numbers wouldn't shock me for Ed Reed, for Champ Baily for Nate Freaken Clements. Overpaid is a word that i will use. He's good he's not the best.
              The players you mentioned will get 40% more than Clements when they re-up. But based on current available cap, the Clements deal is fair market.

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

IMO every single professional athlete is overpaid

Comment

• McBFLO
                  • Mar 2003

I think punters and longsnappers definitely make too much money!
                  Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• jimmifli
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ddaryl
                    IMO every single professional athlete is overpaid
                    Not the point of this thread.

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                      • Mar 2004

This isn't directed to the Dockery signing, but it does apply to other signings though--I brought this up in another thread, but my beef is when very average players get huge paydays, that makes other well established very talented players' contracts potentially sky rocket to, since a virtual nobody got a very huge pay day. Even with a raised salary cap, contracts *may* get out of control to what they already are. JMHO

Forgive my ignorance to some of the Bill's owner's small business arguement, but after dropping 75 million on the o-line, it may be hard to feel sorry for his small market situation.

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by !Papacrunk!
                        This isn't directed to the Dockery signing, but it does apply to other signings though--I brought this up in another thread, but my beef is when very average players get huge paydays, that makes other well established very talented players' contracts potentially sky rocket to, since a virtual nobody got a very huge pay day. Even with a raised salary cap, contracts *may* get out of control to what they already are. JMHO

Forgive my ignorance to some of the Bill's owner's small business arguement, but after dropping 75 million on the o-line, it may be hard to feel sorry for his small market situation.

That's exactly what the Bills have done. They wanted certain guys and they paid them on the way in. Now everyone's salaries have gone up for players that are worth more and costing their franchises more moula. I can see a strategy here where the act of conversion to a new spending model can create a competitive advantage.

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Typ0
                          I can see a strategy here where the act of conversion to a new spending model can create a competitive advantage.
                          Couldn't that strategy easily back fire as well?

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by !Papacrunk!
                            Couldn't that strategy easily back fire as well?
                            of course it could...it's also short term and eventually going to catch up with you anyway. Maybe Ralph and Marv figure there on the way out anyway...

Comment

• User Manuel
                              The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
                              • Nov 2003

jimmifly is overpaid.....

Comment

Working...
                              X