X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

LB Thomas Signed By Pats :(

The Boston Herald reports that the Patriots have agreed to terms with DE/LB Adalius Thomas. He still has to pass a physical Saturday.

The Patriots last made a big free agent splash with Rosevelt Colvin, another edge rusher. New England may be the one team who can utilize Thomas' various skills even more creatively than Baltimore. The 29-year-old will give the Patriots more options with their multiple formations and bolsters weak spot on the defense. Mike Vrabel could play inside more often now.
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: LB Thomas Signed By Pats

He may be one of the best LB's out there, but the field is weak IMO.

Lets not forget, Thomas didnt even start until Boulware left. That ought to tell you something.

He can play and ruch the passer, but I wouldnt say hes even the best LB on their team much less one of the best in the league.

To be fair to NE39, its a good signing I will give the that.

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

I would have taken him although he wouldn't have fit our scheme.

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

i cant wait to tell NE39 that they overpaid.
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• gr8slayer
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
          Yeah. He'll find a reason why he's not being overpaid.

Comment

• DynaPaul
            • Sep 2003

He's a good player but I hope he doesn't think his signing is an automatic trip to the Super Bowl.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
              OK, you made your point. I guess I'm slow to adjust to the new market.

The terms I've heard (although I don't know how much I trust the source) is $7.5M per year with $17M guaranteed.

Given his sacks and big-plays, I think he is the type of player that is worth that. However, given his age (30), I think the contract is a far bigger risk.

If he were 27 I'd be fine with it, but I think they overpaid for a 30-year old player, and it might be a cap problem down the road.

In the short-term, however, he helps them a lot because he is exactly what they need.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by NE39
                OK, you made your point. I guess I'm slow to adjust to the new market.

The terms I've heard (although I don't know how much I trust the source) is $7.5M per year with $17M guaranteed.

Given his sacks and big-plays, I think he is the type of player that is worth that. However, given his age (30), I think the contract is a far bigger risk.

If he were 27 I'd be fine with it, but I think they overpaid for a 30-year old player, and it might be a cap problem down the road.

In the short-term, however, he helps them a lot because he is exactly what they need.
                So you are admitting that the Pats may have reached a bit?

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                  So you are admitting that the Pats may have reached a bit?
                  I think they are overpaying because they need what he can bring so badly. His versatility has great value to them, and the fact he does a great job running downfield with the TE, a big problem with them (see the Colts game). They can use him in a variety of ways.

They basically need LB bad. Even with Thomas, I'd like to see them bring in another talented LB, either in FA or high in the draft. They still need to get younger on the back-end of their defense. Basically, they need to get faster and more athletic.

I like Thomas a lot, I think he is a terrific player. He is big and can run, and he has been consistently productive for three years. He can pressure the QB. However, he is now 30 and there are questions as to whether he will be the same player now that he isn't playing in the Baltimore defense. You would think he would fit the Pats 3-4 scheme well with his versatility, bringing some of what McGinest used to bring, but he isn't Brian Urlacher.

So, yeah, they reached a bit. I think he potentially can be a great player for them, but there are questions if he will be the same player now that he isn't in Baltimore.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                    • Jul 2003

It isn't quite done yet, BTW. He is due in tomorrow for a visit and a physical, and assuming everything goes well they will finalize the deal they agreed to and sign it.

HERE is the story in detail.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

LMAO at a couple of you.

A. Thomas is a STUD.. and he was a stud right up until the time he signed with NE.

if you guys looked at the ENTIRE free agent list going into today, and Im talking EVERY single FA, I bet that 70% of you would say if the Bills could sign ONE player who would it be: A Thomas would have been the overhwhelming #1 selection- by a mile.

It was a GREAT Signing for NE.. Their front DL is sick, and their LB's were a weakpoint.. not anymore..

Buffalo and NE helped themselves in a big way today.. Miami on the other hand, did absolutely ****

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by NE39
                        I think they are overpaying because they need what he can bring so badly. His versatility has great value to them, and the fact he does a great job running downfield with the TE, a big problem with them (see the Colts game). They can use him in a variety of ways.

They basically need LB bad. Even with Thomas, I'd like to see them bring in another talented LB, either in FA or high in the draft. They still need to get younger on the back-end of their defense. Basically, they need to get faster and more athletic.

I like Thomas a lot, I think he is a terrific player. He is big and can run, and he has been consistently productive for three years. He can pressure the QB. However, he is now 30 and there are questions as to whether he will be the same player now that he isn't playing in the Baltimore defense. You would think he would fit the Pats 3-4 scheme well with his versatility, bringing some of what McGinest used to bring, but he isn't Brian Urlacher.

So, yeah, they reached a bit. I think he potentially can be a great player for them, but there are questions if he will be the same player now that he isn't in Baltimore.
                        So if he can be a great player for you why can't Dockery be a great player for us? He had his best year last year, he is young (26). I by no means disagree with you that Thomas can be (and I think already is) a top tier LB but remember Edge Hartwell? A beast of an LB with the Ravens just flat out fell off the map with the Falcons and is now looking for work.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                          So if he can be a great player for you why can't Dockery be a great player for us? He had his best year last year, he is young (26). I by no means disagree with you that Thomas can be (and I think already is) a top tier LB but remember Edge Hartwell? A beast of an LB with the Ravens just flat out fell off the map with the Falcons and is now looking for work.
                          Good post.. Good points.. I like the "why can't Dockery be' sentiments a lot too.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                            LMAO at a couple of you.

A. Thomas is a STUD.. and he was a stud right up until the time he signed with NE.

if you guys looked at the ENTIRE free agent list going into today, and Im talking EVERY single FA, I bet that 70% of you would say if the Bills could sign ONE player who would it be: A Thomas would have been the overhwhelming #1 selection- by a mile.

It was a GREAT Signing for NE.. Their front DL is sick, and their LB's were a weakpoint.. not anymore..

Buffalo and NE helped themselves in a big way today.. Miami on the other hand, did absolutely ****
                            You continue to exaggerate.

The guy we would have picked was Steinbach.

Thomas was NEVER my number 1, I would have liked him, but Id rather us get a ILB.

Your wrong about this plain and simple

Very few would have said A. Thomas is the number one FA, the

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jp-era
                              You continue to exaggerate.

The guy we would have picked was Steinbach.

Thomas was NEVER my number 1, I would have liked him, but Id rather us get a ILB.

Your wrong about this plain and simple

Very few would have said A. Thomas is the number one FA, the
                              Thomas would not have fit our system either.

Comment

Working...
                              X