PDA

View Full Version : LB Thomas Signed By Pats :(

gr8slayer
03-02-2007, 07:23 PM
The Boston Herald reports that the Patriots have agreed to terms with DE/LB Adalius Thomas. He still has to pass a physical Saturday.

The Patriots last made a big free agent splash with Rosevelt Colvin, another edge rusher. New England may be the one team who can utilize Thomas' various skills even more creatively than Baltimore. The 29-year-old will give the Patriots more options with their multiple formations and bolsters weak spot on the defense. Mike Vrabel could play inside more often now.

X-Era
03-02-2007, 07:28 PM
He may be one of the best LB's out there, but the field is weak IMO.

Lets not forget, Thomas didnt even start until Boulware left. That ought to tell you something.

He can play and ruch the passer, but I wouldnt say hes even the best LB on their team much less one of the best in the league.

To be fair to NE39, its a good signing I will give the that.

gr8slayer
03-02-2007, 07:33 PM
I would have taken him although he wouldn't have fit our scheme.

Tatonka
03-02-2007, 07:39 PM
i cant wait to tell NE39 that they overpaid.

gr8slayer
03-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah. He'll find a reason why he's not being overpaid.

DynaPaul
03-02-2007, 07:58 PM
He's a good player but I hope he doesn't think his signing is an automatic trip to the Super Bowl.

Ickybaluky
03-02-2007, 08:16 PM

OK, you made your point. I guess I'm slow to adjust to the new market.

The terms I've heard (although I don't know how much I trust the source) is $7.5M per year with $17M guaranteed.

Given his sacks and big-plays, I think he is the type of player that is worth that. However, given his age (30), I think the contract is a far bigger risk.

If he were 27 I'd be fine with it, but I think they overpaid for a 30-year old player, and it might be a cap problem down the road.

In the short-term, however, he helps them a lot because he is exactly what they need.

gr8slayer
03-02-2007, 08:21 PM
OK, you made your point. I guess I'm slow to adjust to the new market.

The terms I've heard (although I don't know how much I trust the source) is $7.5M per year with $17M guaranteed.

Given his sacks and big-plays, I think he is the type of player that is worth that. However, given his age (30), I think the contract is a far bigger risk.

If he were 27 I'd be fine with it, but I think they overpaid for a 30-year old player, and it might be a cap problem down the road.

In the short-term, however, he helps them a lot because he is exactly what they need.So you are admitting that the Pats may have reached a bit?

Ickybaluky
03-02-2007, 08:30 PM
So you are admitting that the Pats may have reached a bit?

I think they are overpaying because they need what he can bring so badly. His versatility has great value to them, and the fact he does a great job running downfield with the TE, a big problem with them (see the Colts game). They can use him in a variety of ways.

They basically need LB bad. Even with Thomas, I'd like to see them bring in another talented LB, either in FA or high in the draft. They still need to get younger on the back-end of their defense. Basically, they need to get faster and more athletic.

I like Thomas a lot, I think he is a terrific player. He is big and can run, and he has been consistently productive for three years. He can pressure the QB. However, he is now 30 and there are questions as to whether he will be the same player now that he isn't playing in the Baltimore defense. You would think he would fit the Pats 3-4 scheme well with his versatility, bringing some of what McGinest used to bring, but he isn't Brian Urlacher.

So, yeah, they reached a bit. I think he potentially can be a great player for them, but there are questions if he will be the same player now that he isn't in Baltimore.

Ickybaluky
03-02-2007, 08:35 PM
It isn't quite done yet, BTW. He is due in tomorrow for a visit and a physical, and assuming everything goes well they will finalize the deal they agreed to and sign it.

HERE (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/03/02/patriots_expecting_thomas/) is the story in detail.

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 08:36 PM
LMAO at a couple of you.

A. Thomas is a STUD.. and he was a stud right up until the time he signed with NE.

if you guys looked at the ENTIRE free agent list going into today, and Im talking EVERY single FA, I bet that 70% of you would say if the Bills could sign ONE player who would it be: A Thomas would have been the overhwhelming #1 selection- by a mile.

It was a GREAT Signing for NE.. Their front DL is sick, and their LB's were a weakpoint.. not anymore..

Buffalo and NE helped themselves in a big way today.. Miami on the other hand, did absolutely ****

gr8slayer
03-02-2007, 08:39 PM
I think they are overpaying because they need what he can bring so badly. His versatility has great value to them, and the fact he does a great job running downfield with the TE, a big problem with them (see the Colts game). They can use him in a variety of ways.

They basically need LB bad. Even with Thomas, I'd like to see them bring in another talented LB, either in FA or high in the draft. They still need to get younger on the back-end of their defense. Basically, they need to get faster and more athletic.

I like Thomas a lot, I think he is a terrific player. He is big and can run, and he has been consistently productive for three years. He can pressure the QB. However, he is now 30 and there are questions as to whether he will be the same player now that he isn't playing in the Baltimore defense. You would think he would fit the Pats 3-4 scheme well with his versatility, bringing some of what McGinest used to bring, but he isn't Brian Urlacher.

So, yeah, they reached a bit. I think he potentially can be a great player for them, but there are questions if he will be the same player now that he isn't in Baltimore.So if he can be a great player for you why can't Dockery be a great player for us? He had his best year last year, he is young (26). I by no means disagree with you that Thomas can be (and I think already is) a top tier LB but remember Edge Hartwell? A beast of an LB with the Ravens just flat out fell off the map with the Falcons and is now looking for work.

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 08:41 PM
So if he can be a great player for you why can't Dockery be a great player for us? He had his best year last year, he is young (26). I by no means disagree with you that Thomas can be (and I think already is) a top tier LB but remember Edge Hartwell? A beast of an LB with the Ravens just flat out fell off the map with the Falcons and is now looking for work.
Good post.. Good points.. I like the "why can't Dockery be' sentiments a lot too.

X-Era
03-02-2007, 08:42 PM
LMAO at a couple of you.

A. Thomas is a STUD.. and he was a stud right up until the time he signed with NE.

if you guys looked at the ENTIRE free agent list going into today, and Im talking EVERY single FA, I bet that 70% of you would say if the Bills could sign ONE player who would it be: A Thomas would have been the overhwhelming #1 selection- by a mile.

It was a GREAT Signing for NE.. Their front DL is sick, and their LB's were a weakpoint.. not anymore..

Buffalo and NE helped themselves in a big way today.. Miami on the other hand, did absolutely ****

You continue to exaggerate.

The guy we would have picked was Steinbach.

Thomas was NEVER my number 1, I would have liked him, but Id rather us get a ILB.

Your wrong about this plain and simple

Very few would have said A. Thomas is the number one FA, the

gr8slayer
03-02-2007, 08:43 PM
You continue to exaggerate.

The guy we would have picked was Steinbach.

Thomas was NEVER my number 1, I would have liked him, but Id rather us get a ILB.

Your wrong about this plain and simple

Very few would have said A. Thomas is the number one FA, the
Thomas would not have fit our system either.

patmoran2006
03-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Great players fit in ANY system.

gr8slayer
03-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Great players fit in ANY system.
Not true.

Ickybaluky
03-02-2007, 08:47 PM
So if he can be a great player for you why can't Dockery be a great player for us? He had his best year last year, he is young (26). I by no means disagree with you that Thomas can be (and I think already is) a top tier LB but remember Edge Hartwell? A beast of an LB with the Ravens just flat out fell off the map with the Falcons and is now looking for work.

Adalius Thomas has 28 sacks, 4 Ints, 8 forced fumbles, 6 fumble recoveries, 13 passes defended and 3 TDs in the 3 years since he became a starter. That is why they paid a ton for him, because he makes big plays.

The downside is he is 30, which makes him a bigger risk. He also hasn't played in any other system besides Baltimore, where he was surrounded by great players. I realize he isn't a sure thing, but I think he will be a good fit.

I never said Dockery wouldn't be a great player for you guys. I think he is a good acquisition, but only criticism was paying that kind of money for an OG. I don't see an OG as a difference-maker, so I don't think you throw that kind of money at him. That was the basis of my criticism.

X-Era
03-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Adalius Thomas has 28 sacks, 4 Ints, 8 forced fumbles, 6 fumble recoveries, 13 passes defended and 3 TDs in the 3 years since he became a starter. That is why they paid a ton for him, because he makes big plays.

The downside is he is 30, which makes him a bigger risk. He also hasn't played in any other system besides Baltimore, where he was surrounded by great players. I realize he isn't a sure thing, but I think he will be a good fit.

I never said Dockery wouldn't be a great player for you guys. I think he is a good acquisition, but only criticism was paying that kind of money for an OG. I don't see an OG as a difference-maker, so I don't think you throw that kind of money at him. That was the basis of my criticism.

I think neither team made the score of free agency but both teams signed very good players on day one. Maybe we could leave it at that?

Im mean seriously, last time I checked, none of US are paying for these guys so why do we care so much about how much they paid?

Anyways, good day for us and the Pats, we still are better though :grin:

gr8slayer
03-02-2007, 08:52 PM

Ok. You do understand that the cap has gone up alot right?

Secondly, how can you say "I don't see an OG as a difference-maker?" The battles are won in the trenches. Anytime you get a chance to upgrade your OL/DL you do it especially when you have a young QB who is still trying to come into his own.

We may have to simply agree to disagree with the Dockery signing.

Saratoga Slim
03-02-2007, 09:03 PM

I beg to differ. He's about as versatile as they come. Hell, I think he could have made a heckuva cover-2 MLB, let alone on the outside.

Read this: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2688334

I would have been doing backflips if we signed him. Just like I'm doing backflips over Dockery. I don't know what you guys are arguing over. Adalius Thomas is going to be a great addition to the Pats D, Dockery is going to significantly upgrade our OL.

Ickybaluky
03-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Ok. You do understand that the cap has gone up alot right?

You may have me there. I know the cap went up, I didn't expect the effect it would have on these signings. I like to compare it to prior deals signed, but that may be out the window now.

We may have to simply agree to disagree with the Dockery signing.

Like I said, it makes Buffalo much better by addressing a big weakness. From that regard, I think we agree.

Look, I'm not trying to crap all over Buffalo's signings. I think maybe I have been doing that a little too much without meaning to. Like I said, I'll leave the cap out of it for now because obviously it is a new market.

Ickybaluky
03-02-2007, 09:05 PM

I think his best fit in that defense would be as a DE. However, I think he is a better fit in a mulitiple-front defense like Baltimore and NE play.

gr8slayer
03-02-2007, 09:06 PM
You may have me there. I know the cap went up, I didn't expect the effect it would have on these signings. I like to compare it to prior deals signed, but that may be out the window now.

Like I said, it makes Buffalo much better by addressing a big weakness. From that regard, I think we agree.

Look, I'm not trying to crap all over Buffalo's signings. I think maybe I have been doing that a little too much without meaning to. Like I said, I'll leave the cap out of it for now because obviously it is a new market.
I understand where your coming from. Your still one of the better posters on the board so keep doing what your doing.

bledslow
03-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Thomas is a freak of nature-The pats were already going to win the division by 3-4 games,but now,it might be over by the mid-way point of the season.

DOCKERY??LOL

Best thing the bills can do is get rid of that STIFF mcgahee and get a real rb(like dillon)

alohabillsfan
03-03-2007, 06:19 AM
I think the delay in signing A. Thomas has everything to do with the CBA Page 48 Article XXI the final 8 plan.

Anyone that played in the AFC/NFC Championship game cannot sign a UFA unless they are replacing a lost UFA and the contracts have to be withing 30%. I believe they are waiting for Grahm to sign. Anyways that is what I read take a look I would love to have someone else read it, it's actually a little interesting.

!Papacrunk!
03-03-2007, 06:25 AM
. Miami on the other hand, did absolutely ****

''We've got a few holes to fill,'' Mueller said. ``And we hope to be able to do that and give ourselves some options on draft day.''
Still, despite the many needs, there's no reason to expect much activity out of Dolphins camp today. No monumental signings are expected on the first day, when the big dollars are expected to be shelled out in an unusually high-spending year.
Instead, the team will continue to work toward adjusting its roster to make room for a slew of others.

''It's the all-time trap,'' Cameron said. ``Who's the guy that's looking for the big payday that's going to shut it down? You've got to be careful. A lot of teams have gotten burned in free agency, so you just have to make the decisions that are best for your locker room.''
DOLPHINS TAKE CAUTIOUS APPROACH TO FREE AGENCY 3-2-07 (http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/28605.html)