49ers make Clements NFL's highest-paid defender ever - it's actually funny!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

49ers make Clements NFL's highest-paid defender ever - it's actually funny!!

When you see Nate's picture, with the sock on his head, it's just very funny reading "highest-paid defender ever."

I told you hs agent would have been stupid to not let him hit the market. The only thing dumber is the 49ers paying it.

Updated: March 2, 2007, 9:46 PM ET
    49ers make Clements NFL's highest-paid defender ever

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

It took a monster deal to lure cornerback Nate Clements to Monster Park, but on the opening day of the NFL free agent period, the San Francisco 49ers delivered, agreeing with the most coveted player in the market on a landmark contract.
    The 49ers rewarded Clements, the top player in the ESPN.com ratings of the league's unrestricted free agents, with an eight-year, $80 million contract that includes $22 million in guarantees.

Clements

By virtually any standard used to assess NFL contracts by those in the industry, the contract makes Clements the highest-paid defensive player in league history.
    Later in the day, San Francisco officials continued reshaping their secondary, as the team reached agreement with former Philadelphia Eagles starting strong safety Michael Lewis. The details of Lewis' contract were not yet available.
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: 49ers make Clements NFL's highest-paid defender ever - it's actually funny!!

True, but "technically" he's only guarenteed 22 million..

So according to a couple of idiot theories when we signed Kelsay and only 14 over 4 years was guarenteed.

Judging by that dumb theory.. he's only getting 3.1 per year (nate)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Re: 49ers make Clements NFL's highest-paid defender ever - it's actually funny!!

Im being sarcastic (sort of)

SF is crazy.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

If I just made a defensive player the highest paid player in NFL history I wouldn't want his media shot looking like a character from "OZ".

Comment

• Oaklandraider
          Smarter than they think
          • May 2005

wow, hes way overpaid

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

Clements is a good CB, but he isn't THAT good. Now that he has his money, I'm betting we see the Nate from early last year...you know the one that played lazy!

Comment

• camelcowboy
              • Mar 2005

Yeah, that deal is the funniest thing i have ever seen. Good bye nate even if Ralph had the money i'd be pissed if he signed you to that deal.

Clements
              Inmate #243534
              03/02/07 Stole 80 Million from a Buisness in San Fransico

Comment

• chubluv
                BillsZone bowling team MVP
                • Jan 2003

Lets start a poll to see when Nate gets cut. Some how I dont think hes going to last there the whole length of the contract.

We are in 5th place
                Clump is on the IR
                Chubluv average is 167
                Yaz average is 179[/B]

BDZ
                Become a member of BDZ !!!!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

Wow man he's a heck of a player but highest paid EVER? Wow. That's the cap going up though, your going to see it more and more.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    If I just made a defensive player the highest paid player in NFL history I wouldn't want his media shot looking like a character from "OZ".
                    "Oz"

Comment

• gr8slayer
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                      "Oz"
                      Check PM's

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                        • Apr 2005

Grab your ankles San Fran. Hes never impressed me .

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                          • Mar 2004

Well maybe SOME players that got overpaid haven't impressed some people, but maybe things will change when they get to their new "environment." At least peeps overpaying for people that may not quite justify their talent level was across the board yesterday.

Also to pull out my homer card, I guess it's good for Clements that Chambers isn't in the AFCWest :)

Comment

• M
                            • Aug 2006

For 80 Milllion, Nate better intercept every ball that comes his way, have at least 10 sacks per game on a corner back blitz and return kick offs and punt returns like he stole something! Now don't get me wrong, I like Nate but he isn't worth that much.
                            Let's Go Bills ... B B B B B B Bills!

Comment

• DynaPaul
                              • Sep 2003

Well guys, he wanted Champ Bailey money and he got it. What happens now is up to the 49ers. He is a top notch player and it would have been nice to keep him. For the 49ers sake I hope they get the awesome Nate and not Jonas Jennings Part II.

Comment

Working...
                              X