PDA

View Full Version : "When His Master Talks...

LifetimeBillsFan
03-03-2007, 11:37 AM
"When his Master talks, he listens" used to be the slogan of RCA Corporation. After yesterday's free agent signings, in the case of the Bills, it could be changed to "When the Owner talks, everyone listens".

After the San Diego game, Ralph Wilson told the press that it was his opinion that the Bills needed to get more talented on the offensive line in order to be competitive with teams like the Chargers. It was a statement that the local media reported, but that most folks in the media and on the message boards ignored. But, it was a comment that I thought might be significant and mentioned it in one of my posts at the time (please don't go back and make me have to look it up) as something that Marv would probably respond to in the off-season because, usually, "when a NFL team's owner says a certain part of the team needs to be addressed, the team will address that particular part of the team".

Well, with three free agent signings on the offensive line yesterday, Marv Levy and the Bills addressed the part of the team that the owner said needed to be addressed. Now, I don't know how much more talented or athletic the Bills got on their offensive line yesterday or whether any or all of the three guys that they signed will prove to be worth the money that they were signed for, but there can be no doubt that the organization responded to what the owner felt that they needed to do this offseason to get more competitive.

And, given the kind of money that he laid out to sign Dockery and Walker, there should be no doubt that Ralph Wilson was willing to put his money where his mouth was when he made those comments. Essentially, the Bills spent roughly the same amount of money yesterday for Dockery, Walker and Whittle that they would have had to spend to retain Nate Clements. And, whether you like him or not (and I'm certainly not his biggest fan--nor close to being his biggest critic) you have to give Ralph Wilson some credit for that.

Would you trade Clements for the upgrade in the Bills offensive line that yesterday's signings is expected to produce? With Youboty in the fold and expected to step up like a first day draft pick should in his second year, I would--especially if the Bills are able to ink K.Thomas or draft another talented young CB in the middle rounds of the up-coming draft. Nate will be a big loss, but a better offensive line should help the offense keep the defense off the field more and make the loss of Clements less noticeable.

Tatonka
03-03-2007, 11:44 AM
we actually got all three for less than nate got.

good writing.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Good article.