PDA

View Full Version : I am NOT sold on Ashton Youboty

Ron Burgundy
03-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Signing Kiwaukee Thomas to a new contract is very critical, IMO.

I hang out with a bunch of OSU fans and watch just about every Buckeyes game, if only to scout for players for the Bills. Myself and the other guys who get into these games were not fans of Youboty at all when he was with the Bucks. He seemed to get lost at times and he gave up a lot of big plays (it would have been several more if not for the talent at safety that OSU has) and seemed like he was coasting on his athleticism.

I know everyone is drinking that "potential first round pick" koolaid that the pundits were passing around last year, but I've got bad vibes about this kid as a starter. His physical numbers are good (fast 40 time, good height) but I wonder if he can really hack it. There's a reason he slipped to the third round...he's far from a finished product.

I'm thinking Buffalo will use a first day pick to be used on a cornerback, but we still need some insurance. If no other free agent CB is going to be signed this year, we at least need Thomas to hold the spot.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I don't think anyone's really "sold" on him. He hasn't even played in but a hand full of games. Give the man some time.

Ron Burgundy
03-03-2007, 11:51 AM
I don't think anyone's really "sold" on him. He hasn't even played in but a hand full of games. Give the man some time.

All sorts of people are pretty sure he's going to step in and start. I read it all over the boards.

And what am I giving him time to do, exactly?

LtFinFan66
03-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Buckeye corners have had a great NFL track record but I tend to agree on AY. I think he may have been banking on that track record instead of improving and hustling

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 11:53 AM
All sorts of people are pretty sure he's going to step in and start. I read it all over the boards.

I think you are mis-reading or taking posts out of context. Everyone here wants Rod Hood or Nick Harper because we want people to compete for the CB spot this year. There are no sure things in our secondary this year (outside of Simpson and Whiter), that includes McGee, he has something to prove after last year.

Luisito23
He's gonna be just fine, but we need to get some veteran to hold it down while we slowly keep on grooming him.....Is Hood still available??.....

GO BILLS!!!!!

Ron Burgundy
Buckeye corners have had a great NFL track record but I tend to agree on AY. I think he may have been banking on that track record instead of improving and hustling

Agreed. I'm a Clements fan and one of my favorite players was Antoine Winfield, but Youboty doesn't seem to deserve the hype.

Ron Burgundy
03-03-2007, 11:55 AM
I think you are mis-reading or taking posts out of context. Everyone here wants Rod Hood or Nick Harper because we want people to compete for the CB spot this year. There are no sure things in our secondary this year (outside of Simpson and Whiter), that includes McGee, he has something to prove after last year.
Awesome! I disagree. I've read it a bunch.

McGee definitely has some work to do.

Captain gameboy
03-03-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm more confident regarding Youboty than I am of Ko Simpson, and Simpson did alright last year.
Word around the ACC re Ko was "believe the Wonderlic."

I think we're OK with what we have.
A little shakey and we could use a bit of help, but we are OK.

Tatonka
03-03-2007, 12:37 PM
well no one in the nfl did either.. thus he went in the 3rd round, and not the 1st like winifield and clements.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 12:38 PM
well no one in the nfl did either.. thus he went in the 3rd round, and not the 1st like winifield and clements.
Not a hard formula to understand.

Ron Burgundy
03-03-2007, 01:11 PM
It seems that I rarely read, "third round pick Ashton Youboty."

But I see a lot of "Youboty was a first round talent in most scouting mocks!"

Regardless, I see a need at corner...since we just lost our best one.

YardRat
03-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Youboty really hasn't had the opportunity to prove himself yet, and I would hope he wouldn't be handed the job just because we lost Nate...He needs to earn it first, then prove he can play at this level on Sundays.

I think re-signing Thomas should be a priority also, and wouldn't mind seeing another CB or two brought in via FA and the draft (one each).

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't disagree CB is a need. I think most have used that description on Youboty also admit he might not be ready. Anybody that is sold on him is basing it on nothing.

Hell, I am not sold at on McGee. I do think this defense will help if the corners are not top notch though, as safety is more important.

The Bills want Kiwi back, so I tend to think he needs some times as well.

On day 1 a I predict a LB, RB, CB and DT (assuming they get a day 1 pick for teh baby-making machine)

YardRat
03-03-2007, 01:38 PM
On day 1 a I predict a LB, RB, CB and DT (assuming they get a day 1 pick for teh baby-making machine)

I'd take that and be happy.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Goobylal
03-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Youboty was an early-entrant junior who many said had 1st round talent as it was, but definite 1st round talent had he stayed in school another year. Well that was last year.

And no I'm not sold on him either given he's barely played. I think that CB will have to be the next signing in FA or the first pick in the draft.

SABURZFAN
03-03-2007, 01:46 PM

wait until TC to see how he does.i bet he gets a long look in the preseason games.that should tell whether he's ready to step in as a starter.in the meantime,we should consider drafting a CB and/or sign a FA CB.

JMO......

Ron Burgundy
03-03-2007, 02:15 PM
wait until TC to see how he does.i bet he gets a long look in the preseason games.that should tell whether he's ready to step in as a starter.in the meantime,we should consider drafting a CB and/or sign a FA CB.

JMO......

Well, yeah. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a look, I'm just saying at this point he's not as good as Kiwaukee or Rod Hood or anyone who has actually played.

Billsrock4life
03-03-2007, 03:00 PM
how can you be sold on him hes played like what one game i think, so theres really no way of knowing what hes got for us until the season starts