Does Travis Henry need a speedster as a compliment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alluro
    You Don't Stand a Chance !
    • Jul 2002

Does Travis Henry need a speedster as a compliment?

Travis Henry has proven to be solid NFL starting caliber running back, although i can't help but think the offense is missing something. While Henry can grind out the tough yardage, he lacks the homerun speed to take it to the house on any given play. This adversely affects the passing game because the secondary is not as concerned with Travis Henry as they are with lets say a ricky williams or deuce mcallister to go the distance, and can thus focus more on Moulds and Co. I really believe TD should look into signing someone like Tshimanga Biakabutuka or another cheap complimentary running back to give the offense a different look. Maybe even take a flier on someone in the 4th or 5th round to fill that purpose. Either way, i find the fact that Travis Henry's longest run from scrimmage in his career is 40 yds, to be an alarming statistic
    Last edited by Alluro; 03-08-2003, 10:02 AM.
  • colin
    Drew's my hero!
    • Jul 2002

A quick back would be a nice addition.

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Biakabatuks is always hurt. Is he even in the league anymore. Henry doesn't have straight away spped but is quick enough going around the edges and once he gets his mtor going he either runs over them or gives them that patented stiff arm. Go Bills!

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Any backup has to be able to be a special teams standout. Sammy Morris does this now. We need a guy who can make some plays on ST

Comment

• Alluro
          • Jul 2002

Biakabutuka i believe is a free agent right now that could probably be had for cheap...your citing of his battles with injuries is correct and it is precisely for that reason he could play a nice support role to henry. Less carries would mean less wear and tear on his body and could provide the bills with the homerun threat they lack.

Comment

• Buffarama
            Football-Sport of the Gods
            • Jul 2002

I suggested we get a fast back in the lower rounds a couple months ago and the response here was less than postive.
            The team needs more speed, and a fast HB would be an excellent change-up to Travis to throw the defense off.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

We will be drafting a RB this year. I believe that Henry will be a FA next year and TD will draft his future replacement just like he did with Peerless in last years draft.

Plus with Henry's frequent fumble problems and no RB depth, drafting a RB is almost a guarantee.

Comment

• Herdwatcher
                One out of many
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                We will be drafting a RB this year. I believe that Henry will be a FA next year and TD will draft his future replacement just like he did with Peerless in last years draft.

Plus with Henry's frequent fumble problems and no RB depth, drafting a RB is almost a guarantee.

Good call tacklingdummy.

That last sentence says alot! I don't feel that TD is looking to replace Henry though.
                Pounding the world like a battering-ram!

Comment

• Seano
                  • Mar 2003

I think Justin Fargis would be a perfect fit if he would last to the fifth round. I believe he ran the fastest time ever at the combine--check me on that--and might have some return abilities as well.

i

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                    • Jul 2002

I think we need a burner back there too.
                    I've read comments that Willis McGahee was looking pretty good limping around at the combine for a guy that suffered a horrible looking injury.

Some team is going to take a chance on this guy-late first or second from what I've heard.
                    I'm not suggesting it's us, we still need to patch the D with our first pick, but somebody will be around in the third me thinks.

Comment

• Alluro
                      • Jul 2002

I remember seeing on television before he got hurt, one of the miami coaches saying that Willis McGahee is better than both Clinton Portis and Edgerrin James...I would really have to think hard about drafting him if he was still there in the 2nd round. He could be Thurman Thomas for us all over again

Comment

• Alluro
                        • Jul 2002

Mel Kiper said McGahee was a TOP FIVE pick before getting injured...i would not be disappointed at all if TD decided to select McGahee in the second round.

RB Willis McGahee would have been a top-five draft pick had he not been injured in the Fiesta Bowl.

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

We have our other thurman right here and now his name "Travis Henry". Remember this guy ran for 1400 yards last year and he went to the probowl. Go Bills!

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                            • Jul 2002

I don't want to change the subject of the thread, but if McGahee's around by our pick in the second, I'd be ecstatic if we picked him. .
                            He's going to be cheaper than similar backs because of the injury, and I think he's a potential top three back.
                            Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be around.

Comment

I just checked out the Henry contract he signed a 4 year deal his rookie year in 2001 so he's under contract for this upcoming year and the year after before hes hits Free Agency.

Comment

Working...
                              X