PDA

View Full Version : Turns out the Pats, not the 9'ers were the dumbest so far!

X-Era
03-03-2007, 12:47 PM
If this is true its an unbelieveably stupid move:

Initial, albeit equivocal, reports of the deal broke on Friday night, primarily from John Tomase of the Boston Herald and Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe. We're also told that Tom Curran of NBCSports.com has reported that the deal is expected to be worth $60 million over six years.

10 mill a year is nuts for him.

They paid as much as the 49'ers for a flippin LB/DE.

He aint Peppers or even as good a Julian Peterson.

NE39 should be eating serious crow.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Holy. There is no way they can talk about us overpaying.

Michael82
03-03-2007, 12:53 PM
:rofl: Where is NE39 when you need him?

The Pats don't overpay for anyone? What? LOL! Oh and he's 30 this year. :laughing:
Dockery is only 27.

Dozerdog
03-03-2007, 12:56 PM
When we win 3 super bowls in 4 years, then we can laugh at the Pats.

But the Bills (or anyone for that matter) pointing at the Pats and laughing at them is like a ******ed kid making fun of you.

I have a feeling they do have a slight clue to what they are doing

Michael82
03-03-2007, 12:57 PM

But the Bills (or anyone for that matter) pointing at the Pats and laughing at them is like a ******ed kid making fun of you.

But wasn't it you that said everyone should use the Pats as an example. They never get stupid is FA and don't overpay for players? :scratch:

justasportsfan
03-03-2007, 01:00 PM

I don't think they are laughing at the Pats whether they know what thye are doing or not. They're are talking about our overpaying for our signings and it isn't directed at the Pats but NE 39.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Your going to see it more and more though with the cap going up.

YardRat
03-03-2007, 01:03 PM
If they win another Super Bowl it will be worth the money and viewed as a pretty good move.

Once again...have we seen the real details of the contract? I'm betting it's severely back-loaded.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Thomas figures to land guarantees totaling at least $15 million.

Dozerdog
03-03-2007, 02:18 PM
But wasn't it you that said everyone should use the Pats as an example. They never get stupid is FA and don't overpay for players? :scratch:Is it overpaying?

No offense-
I'll go with the guys with the track record over internet message board experts every time.

L.A. Playa
03-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Laughing at the Pats for getting the most versatile defensive player in the NFL today in his prime is just stupid, if you havent noticed the way the Pats like to play defense, Thomas is the perfect player and the kind of player NE hasnt had to make that defense even scarier

Considering they made the playoffs and lost a close game to the Super Bowl Champs with far weaker LB's The Patriots just got ALOT betetr with this signing and probably have to be considered the favorites for the SB this year and they still have 2 first rd picks

This was a great signing for them

Devin
03-03-2007, 02:22 PM

No kidding. They could have paid him 15 a year.

When we do what they have/are doing then we can talk.

BB probably would have called Thomas himself to make the offer however its hard to lift your hand when its covered in super bowl rings.

patmoran2006
03-03-2007, 02:33 PM
He was easily the best player in all of free agency, its not even close.

He's worth more than the 2.5 times than say a rotational DE end.

SquishDaFish
03-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Taking more shots at Kelsey are we PAt? Do you have to do it in every thread.

Pat has MAN LOVE for Kelsey lol

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 02:57 PM

In science it's called obsession.

justasportsfan
03-03-2007, 03:00 PM

Pat talked out of a$$ when he called Marv clueless. Turns out Marv isn't and it made Pat look bad. So he will revert to the Kelsay signing to divert his comments about Marv being clueless because the one in his avatar turned out to be Pat himself.

X-Era
03-03-2007, 03:02 PM
He was easily the best player in all of free agency, its not even close.

He's worth more than the 2.5 times than say a rotational DE end.

Hillarious man, your hillarious.

Hes not that great, he really isnt.

He would have been an upgrade to Kelsay, probably an upgrade to our current version of Spikes, but not the version we signed.

However, 10 million a year? thats a joke plain and simple.

patmoran2006
03-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Go look at EVERY free agent list compiled, he's at the top or right near the top on EVERY list there is..

You talk about Dockery being worth the money because he's such an improvement over Gandy? Well h ow about the improvement over Thomas compared to the 90-year old LB's NE has.. Oh ya, he'll be playing behind a decent DL as well.. Vince, Seymour.. Ever heard of those guys?

Quit being some homerlicious. Its a great deal for NE, this dude is a monster and if Thomas had signed with Buffalo you'd be camping out in front of Laux right now waiting for his jersey to come in.

this is the crap that makes me sick about some fans; 100% incapable of being unbiased.. If anybody with intelligence looked at the FA list and said which ONE player do we NOT want to NE to get, it would be him.

X-Era
03-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Go look at EVERY free agent list compiled, he's at the top or right near the top on EVERY list there is..

You talk about Dockery being worth the money because he's such an improvement over Gandy? Well h ow about the improvement over Thomas compared to the 90-year old LB's NE has.. Oh ya, he'll be playing behind a decent DL as well.. Vince, Seymour.. Ever heard of those guys?

Quit being some homerlicious. Its a great deal for NE, this dude is a monster and if Thomas had signed with Buffalo you'd be camping out in front of Laux right now waiting for his jersey to come in.

this is the crap that makes me sick about some fans; 100% incapable of being unbiased.. If anybody with intelligence looked at the FA list and said which ONE player do we NOT want to NE to get, it would be him.

Dont go labeling me unbiased or a Homer, your way off base period.

I agree that hes at the top of the FA list. Thats not saying much at all!!!!

Freeney deserves 10 mill per, even with his down year last year. Thomas is no Freeney dont fool yourself.

It may be a great signing for NE, but they way overpaid.

Theres many levels between crap and all star, you seem to put Thomas on the all-star plane and hes NOT there. Hes a good player, hes NOT an all-star.

patmoran2006
03-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Pat talked out of a$$ when he called Marv clueless. Turns out Marv isn't and it made Pat look bad. So he will revert to the Kelsay signing to divert his comments about Marv being clueless because the one in his avatar turned out to be Pat himself.

First of all, I would be FAR AWAY from saying Levy's moves yesterday will work out.. DOckery should be a great guard, and he better be, because he got paid like one.

Meanwhile, Walker got $5 million per, for a guy who started for two years on the worst OL in history.. everyone I've talked to and read about him says he's a fat soft slob who gets beats often.. If you say its all hear-say, check out the 10.5 sacks allowed he gave up last year.

And dont make even get into ****ing Chris Kelsay.

So while I ADMIRE Wilson and Levy for putting up the money to make this team better, spending the money doesnt mean you haven't made CLUE LESS moves..
1- Lets see if Dockery develops into a Pro Bowler (for that $ he should)
2- Lets see if Walker is even better than Pennington (some already doubt it)
3- Lets see if Kelsay steps up or if he's the same medicore all pass rush, no run stop rotational DE he's been for the last four years.

Spending money makes you have balls.. Marv now officially has that.. But I won't see he's not a clueless GM til we see if he's worth it.

Now back on subject, If Kelsay is worth 6 millon per year as an average player, Thomas as one of the best LB's in the entire NFL is worth 10; he had more sacks than ALL of the Bills LB combined; and anybody here who says otherwise is being a biased, hommerific turd.

Devin
03-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Considering they made the playoffs and lost a close game to the Super Bowl Champs with far weaker LB's The Patriots just got ALOT betetr with this signing and probably have to be considered the favorites for the SB this year and they still have 2 first rd picks

That part just makes me sick.

The fact that the only significant loss for them was an aging RB for which they already have a replacement, they then sign the premier defensive player available and on top of that have 2 1st round picks.

Ughhhh. This **** is never gonna end.

Ickybaluky
03-03-2007, 04:33 PM
I guess I am eating some crow with the money being thrown around. It is pretty crazy. I guess I need to adjust to the new market. Quite frankly, I'm so used to the Pats sitting out the early part of FA and signing schmoes I'm not even sure how to react.

That said, I like the players the Pats are going after. Thomas gives them the LB they need with great versatility and pass-rush skills. Kyle Brady is a nice fit as a role players, helping seal runs to the outside for Maroney. I've always like Sammy Morris, another versatile guy who can contribute in a bunch of roles.

I really love the Welker move, if it works out it will be my favorite. I think he is a very underrated player and can really help them in some areas, and a guy who I have really grown to like. He is small, but he is very fast (they need speed at WR) and a terror working as a slot receiver. I think he will be an even better receiver with Brady throwing him the ball. People don't think about it, but Welker led the Dolphins in receptions last year, not Chambers, Booker or McMichael. Getting a proven slot guy who is a very good return man to boot for a low 2nd would be a steal.

That said, the money is insane. I guess everyone is overpaying. It makes me wonder what a guy like Tom Brady is thinking. They should pay him more.

That said, laugh if you must, jp-era. Think about this: Not only do the Pats have 2 first round picks this year, but I'd guess they are going to get an extra 4th, 2 extra 6ths and a 7th when the compensation picks are awarded. Even if they lose the 2nd, they will have 10 picks overall.

Ickybaluky
03-03-2007, 04:48 PM
If this is true its an unbelieveably stupid move:

Initial, albeit equivocal, reports of the deal broke on Friday night, primarily from John Tomase of the Boston Herald and Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe. We're also told that Tom Curran of NBCSports.com has reported that the deal is expected to be worth $60 million over six years.

10 mill a year is nuts for him.

They paid as much as the 49'ers for a flippin LB/DE.

He aint Peppers or even as good a Julian Peterson.

NE39 should be eating serious crow.

Looks like you should be eating crow.

Adam Schefter (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511) has the terms:

5 Years/$37.5M, $24M in first 3 years. That is a lot less then initially reported, and less than people were saying. The signing looks a lot better in that context.

BTW, he has the Welker Offer sheet at 7 Years/$38.5M, but no word on how much is up front.

jamze132
03-03-2007, 05:28 PM
The bottom line is the fact that the Pats went and got their man. Reguardless of how much he will cost them, all the other AFC East teams now have to gameplan for him.

I don't think I will be doubting any moves the Pats make in the near future.

lordofgun
03-03-2007, 06:22 PM
He's going to be awesome for the pats. Money well spent.

Devin
03-03-2007, 06:39 PM

5 Years/$37.5M, $24M in first 3 years. That is a lot less then initially reported, and less than people were saying. The signing looks a lot better in that context.

BTW, he has the Welker Offer sheet at 7 Years/$38.5M, but no word on how much is up front.

Wow. Thats a very manageable number.

God I hate the pats.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 06:41 PM
That part just makes me sick.

The fact that the only significant loss for them was an aging RB for which they already have a replacement, they then sign the premier defensive player available and on top of that have 2 1st round picks.

Ughhhh. This **** is never gonna end.
Wow and Harrison is back this year.

X-Era
03-03-2007, 07:09 PM

Those numbers are completely better. Thats a whole other story. At a little over 7 mill per, hes a bargain.

If thats the case, this is a decent signing. Now, just like in our situation, the proof is on the field. I hope for you, he doesnt disappoint

Devin
03-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Those numbers are completely better. Thats a whole other story. At a little over 7 mill per, hes a bargain.

If thats the case, this is a decent signing. Now, just like in our situation, the proof is on the field. I hope for you, he doesnt disappoint

lol @ decent.

If by decent you mean "best signing of this years FA period" yeah decent is probably right.

I dont know that Thomas has ever dissapointed on the field. I wont even lie losing Nate doesnt compare to the Pats signing Thomas. THis truly blows ass.

Ickybaluky
03-03-2007, 07:50 PM
There is no question I underestimated the new market.

You can't say it is overpaying if everyone is doing it.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:53 PM
There is no question I underestimated the new market.

You can't say it is overpaying if everyone is doing it.
Exactly.

Though 38.5 is still too much for Welker.

Ickybaluky
03-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Wow. Thats a very manageable number.

God I hate the pats.

I actually think what is interesting is the deal is actually front-loaded, not backloaded like a lot of these contracts. Over the first 3 years he gets $8M per season. The last 2 years are $6M per season. In the short-term he gets paid very well, which makes it more attractive for a player 29 years old (30 this season).