PDA

View Full Version : I love Hockey Night in Canada

Meathead
03-03-2007, 06:15 PM
as a kid growing up in this area i used to lie in bed and listen the the radio broadcasting hnic

share your memories of this fine institution

BlackMetalNinja
03-03-2007, 06:47 PM
My current memories are that I have to watch that broadcast rather than Jeanneret and Lorentz tonight... and therefore it makes the game a lot more boring for me. Sorry to rain on your parade Meathead.

Meathead
03-03-2007, 07:00 PM
no hnic for you!

Philagape
03-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I've made the HNIC theme the music for some of my EA NHL games.

Night Train
03-03-2007, 07:32 PM
I can remember watching the Leafs win the cup in 1967 on HNIC. My father had a huge roof antenna and Channel 5 came in very good. Dave Keon was my favorite player back then.

Bill Hewitt did the Leafs play by play while his Dad, Foster Hewitt, did the games on CBC radio. Danny Galivan did all the Montreal games with Dick Irvin.

Their quality production of Hockey games is fantastic.

BlackMetalNinja
03-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Their quality production of Hockey games is fantastic.

I definitely give them credit there. I'd love it if I could watch this in HD because they visually do a great job of covering the game. My only real hang up is the announcers lack of enthusiasm, I guess I'm spoiled by hearing RJ so much.

Philagape
03-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Many times better than anything in the States has ever done.

Meathead
03-03-2007, 08:20 PM
My father had a huge roof antenna and Channel 5 came in very good.
cool!

you just made me remember that i had a little crappy portable b/w tv and if it was rainy i could sometimes get the signal to skip off the lake and give me a flippy fuzzy pic that i would watch the game on

good times good times lmao

its cool to have that memory sparked

Dozerdog
03-03-2007, 08:23 PM
I love HNIC- it was a happy reunion when they began carrying it on the hockey package - almost a 12 year absence for me

I have a really old Sabres/Canadiens game on DVD from 1975- and I have HNIC coverage

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2007, 09:17 PM
I remember watching the famous Islanders-Washington multi OT game in the playoffs in 1987. I was on Easter vacation

Went to bed about 5 minutes early and missed the finish.

But who does not remember Coach's Corner?

Philagape
03-03-2007, 09:22 PM
I remember staying up to watch the West coast games at 1 or 2 a.m.

SabreEleven
03-03-2007, 09:28 PM
as a kid growing up in this area i used to lie in bed and listen the the radio broadcasting hnic

share your memories of this fine institution

I lied in bed when I was a kid too, but I wasn't listening to HNIC...:couch:

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2007, 09:29 PM
I lied in bed when I was a kid too, but I wasn't listening to HNIC...:couch:

So nothing has changed in your adult life?

hammerbillsfan
03-03-2007, 09:36 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A9tYHjaglqQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A9tYHjaglqQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

chernobylwraiths
03-03-2007, 09:46 PM
I loved Peter Puck and Showdown. I miss HNIC and I live close. I need a set of rabbit ears so I can try to get it in for the playoffs.

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Peter Puck ruled!

SabreEleven
03-03-2007, 11:27 PM
So EE, what was life like before HNIC?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-03-2007, 11:43 PM
I hate Hockey Night in Canada they're so :homer:. Anouncers with they're Canadian accents like instead of scores they say sceeeeeres and I especially hate Don Cherry with all his stupid suits! There's only one anouncer that calls it the way it should be called and that is Rick Jeanneret.

kgun12
03-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Funny you brought this up, I was just telling my boys about HNIC when they were home for Xmas.

My dad wasn't a big sports fan growing up, so we would go to my friends house to watch HNIC. My friends dad was very excitable, which made the games more fun. When he got made at a player of ref, he would call the "hockey pucks" and rub his fingers together really fast. Kind of like when you are going to snap your fingers, but he would move them back and forth very fast and sit on the very edge of his chair, every now and then he would slip off the chair onto his ass. The next day would not only talk about the game but also Mr. Smith, it was very funny.

chernobylwraiths
03-04-2007, 06:54 AM
I hate Hockey Night in Canada they're so :homer:. Anouncers with they're Canadian accents like instead of scores they say sceeeeeres and I especially hate Don Cherry with all his stupid suits! There's only one anouncer that calls it the way it should be called and that is Rick Jeanneret.

I love Rich Jeanneret too, but he is a HUGE homer.

chernobylwraiths
03-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Funny you brought this up, I was just telling my boys about HNIC when they were home for Xmas.

My dad wasn't a big sports fan growing up, so we would go to my friends house to watch HNIC. My friends dad was very excitable, which made the games more fun. When he got made at a player of ref, he would call the "hockey pucks" and rub his fingers together really fast. Kind of like when you are going to snap your fingers, but he would move them back and forth very fast and sit on the very edge of his chair, every now and then he would slip off the chair onto his ass. The next day would not only talk about the game but also Mr. Smith, it was very funny.

I remember a friend of my father would always call Borj Salming a commie.

BlackMetalNinja
03-04-2007, 07:51 AM
They were annoying the crap out of me last night. They kept pronouncing Michael Ryan as Michal Rhine. How f'n hard is it to say Ryan?

Meathead
03-04-2007, 10:41 AM
maybe thats the canadian pronunciation aye

Meathead
03-04-2007, 10:43 AM
I love Rich Jeanneret too, but he is a HUGE homer.
massive! and i love it

SABuffalo786
03-04-2007, 01:20 PM

You may be a fine person in real life. But as far as can I tell from this message board, sir, you have terrible taste and know nothing about hockey!

Meathead
03-04-2007, 01:32 PM
it was borje

and it sounded like bore-ee-ah for some reason

Philagape
03-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Any accent is better than listening to Danny Gare try to tackle the English language :ill:

chernobylwraiths
03-04-2007, 02:10 PM
it was borje

and it sounded like bore-ee-ah for some reason

commie lover!

kgun12
03-04-2007, 02:27 PM
I remember a friend of my father would always call Borj Salming a commie.

So did my Uncle!

SabreEleven
03-04-2007, 05:48 PM
When he got made at a player of ref, he would call the "hockey pucks" and rub his fingers together really fast.

Can you translate this from Canadian to English please?

Meathead
03-24-2007, 05:34 PM
well i have to miss hnic tonight cuz im going to the bandits game with booty mcbannedinpants but i hope you guys have fun wid it

ticatfan
03-26-2007, 04:11 PM
The only bad thing about HNIC growing up was the tommy hunter show that came on before the game.