PDA

View Full Version : Wes Welker For $38.5 MILLION DOLLARS? Wow

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 06:37 PM
NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports the Patriots' offer sheet to restricted free agent Wes Welker will be for seven years and $38.5 million.
Once Welker signs the offer, Miami will have seven days to decide whether to match. It's doubtful they will, as they'll get a second-round pick for letting him walk. Welker can return kicks and has sure hands, but isn't a deep threat and stands 5-9. The Patriots are going buck wild.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 06:39 PM
The cap is out of control.

Bling
03-03-2007, 06:40 PM
And the Bills are feeding into it. Ralph can't compete my ass. He's got plenty of money. He was just cheap, and Marv finally convinced him to open the pocket book.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 06:42 PM
And the Bills are feeding into it. Ralph can't compete my ass. He's got plenty of money. He was just cheap, and Marv finally convinced him to open the pocket book.
Not how you start. It's how you finish.

mysticsoto
03-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Ok, whether Thomas (LB) was overpaid is questionable...but Wes? He's a great return guy, but that's alot for someone who will likely only contribute on STs!!! Again, NE39 should be eating some more crow now!!!

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Ok, whether Thomas (LB) was overpaid is questionable...but Wes? He's a great return guy, but that's alot for someone who will likely only contribute on STs!!! Again, NE39 should be eating some more crow now!!!
I rarely question a team like the Pats because of how dominating they have been over the past five years but damn. This one doesn't make sense to me.

Slim
Thats 38.5 for a slot reciever, and a good st'er.

gr8slayer
Thats 38.5 for a slot reciever, and a goot st'er.
Excellent STer, average to below average WR.

Slim
How much cap room did they have?

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 06:46 PM
How much cap room did they have?
Apparently alot.

Bling
03-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Welker had an incredible year last year. Best #3 WR in the league last year, 1 reception shy of #32 in receptions, and incredibly clutch.

Now you put him on the Pats, subtract him from Miami, and he's worth a 3rd (Pats giving late 2nd, so it's about right). What's scary is the money offer. Who knows, maybe BB and co. can make him a #1 in the league. He's definitely going to tear up the Dolphins and Bills secondary if they don't fix them.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Welker had an incredible year last year. Best #3 WR in the league last year, 1 reception shy of #32 in receptions, and incredibly clutch.

Now you put him on the Pats, subtract him from Miami, and he's worth a 3rd (Pats giving late 2nd, so it's about right). What's scary is the money offer. Who knows, maybe BB and co. can make him a #1 in the league. He's definitely going to tear up the Dolphins and Bills secondary if they don't fix them.
I'm not that worried about it.

Goobylal
03-03-2007, 06:52 PM
As I said in the OTHER thread on this, the contract probably has a poison pill, like Nate Burleson's contract did last year. This is complete BS! These types of contracts should have been outlawed last year.

Bling
03-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm not that worried about it.

Of course you're not. Then when he catches 10 passes for 200 yards, you're going to ***** about how this short kid was destroying your secondary. Sometimes, you just have to open your eyes.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Of course you're not. Then when he catches 10 passes for 200 yards, you're going to ***** about how this short kid was destroying your secondary. Sometimes, you just have to open your eyes.
We run a bend but don't break C2 Zone. Big passing plays aren't much of an issue. Were not going to forget how to play defense just because Nate left.

BTW 0-2

Goobylal
03-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Welker never did much against the Bills. But again, why you as a fan of the team who is going to LOSE him aren't complaining about it too much, speaks volumes.

Ickybaluky
03-03-2007, 07:48 PM
It is a sever-year deal. It is likely the back-end of the deal contains some big years. I'd bet the Pats put in a poison pill to make it guaranteed by some provision that is only true if Miami keeps him. Thus, if Miami matches, the big back-end years are guaranteed. If not, the Pats don't have to honor the big back-end years.

I'm sure the Pats paid pretty well to get him to sign, but I think the large dollar value in total is because of the poison pill. I don't know that, but I'd be willing to bet on it.

I'll say this, I like this signing the most. I think Welker is a very underrated player and will be a terrific slot receiver and ST player for the Pats if they end up getting him.

Goobylal
03-03-2007, 08:01 PM
If there is a poison pill in it, it shouldn't be allowed. Period.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Explain this poison pill theory? Are you saying NE is offering him more than Miami will be willing to pay but isn't really going to pay him what they say they are going to pay him?

Goobylal
03-03-2007, 08:05 PM
It means there's some BS clause like "if Welker catches more than 30 passes in the state of Florida, his entire contract is guaranteed" or something silly like that.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 08:07 PM
It means there's some BS clause like "if Welker catches more than 30 passes in the state of Florida, his entire contract is guaranteed" or something silly like that.
Ah.

Ickybaluky
03-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Explain this poison pill theory? Are you saying NE is offering him more than Miami will be willing to pay but isn't really going to pay him what they say they are going to pay him?

The way the poison pill worked in the Hutchinson deal last year the entire contract became guaranteed if he ever wasn't the highest-paid OL on the team. Because Seattle had signed Walter Jones to a huge contract, they faced the prospect of guaranteeing the entire $49M to Hutchinson if they matched. Seattle challenged that provision and lost, so they let him go.

The Pats could put in a couple big years at the end of the deal and make them guaranteed if Welker plays more than 4 games a season in Miami in a year (just as an example). Thus, Miami could not match without being tied into those big-money years, but the Pats would not be.

That would explain the big number. Basically, I'd be willing to bet the 3-year average pays him well but not at that level. The back-end of the deal isn't important unless the contract is guaranteed.

jdbillsfan
03-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Its like giving 5 mil a year and a 2nd round draft pick for Roscoe Parrish. Same player.

Pats overspent.

Elminster
03-03-2007, 08:37 PM
The way the poison pill worked in the Hutchinson deal last year the entire contract became guaranteed if he ever wasn't the highest-paid OL on the team. Because Seattle had signed Walter Jones to a huge contract, they faced the prospect of guaranteeing the entire $49M to Hutchinson if they matched. Seattle challenged that provision and lost, so they let him go.

The Pats could put in a couple big years at the end of the deal and make them guaranteed if Welker plays more than 4 games a season in Miami in a year (just as an example). Thus, Miami could not match without being tied into those big-money years, but the Pats would not be.

That would explain the big number. Basically, I'd be willing to bet the 3-year average pays him well but not at that level. The back-end of the deal isn't important unless the contract is guaranteed. The Seahawks used an even more absurd poison pill on Burleson if I remember. Something about playing X amount of games in a dome or Minnesotta...

YardRat
03-03-2007, 09:05 PM
It is a sever-year deal. It is likely the back-end of the deal contains some big years. I'd bet the Pats put in a poison pill to make it guaranteed by some provision that is only true if Miami keeps him. Thus, if Miami matches, the big back-end years are guaranteed. If not, the Pats don't have to honor the big back-end years.

I'm sure the Pats paid pretty well to get him to sign, but I think the large dollar value in total is because of the poison pill. I don't know that, but I'd be willing to bet on it.

I'll say this, I like this signing the most. I think Welker is a very underrated player and will be a terrific slot receiver and ST player for the Pats if they end up getting him.

I was under the impression poison pill clauses were done away with after Wolford went to Indy.

YardRat
03-03-2007, 09:11 PM
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/747216.html

The Seahawks put the transition tag on Hutchinson, assuming they would be able to retain him. Brzezinski, the Vikings' vice president of football operations, and Hutchinson's agent, Tom Condon, got creative and inserted a clause that required Hutchinson have the highest-average annual salary of any offensive lineman on his team in 2006. Otherwise, the entire contract would become guaranteed.

The Seahawks, who already were paying left tackle Walter Jones an average of $500,000 more than Hutchinson would have made, were irate and took the matter before a special master but did not get a favorable ruling. "As far as the structure of any contract like that, I don't think clubs should do that," Holmgren said when asked about the subject Monday. "There are loopholes and you can get some smart guys figuring out how to do things and find a little way to do something, but to me it's against the spirit of the rule." Nonetheless, Seattle responded with two "poison pills" in Burleson's contract, including one that said it would become guaranteed if he played more than five games in the state of Minnesota.

I'll be damned...Hutch's clause is eerily similar to the one that Indy used against us.

Marvelous
03-04-2007, 12:21 AM
WOW! I like Welker. In fact i respect him alot but 38 mill!! HOLY!!!
Man Welker is gonna be trouble for us in NE & Brady

justasportsfan
03-04-2007, 06:39 AM
anyone who plays for Malarkey will look like a dork.

Al13
03-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Welker never did much against the Bills. But again, why you as a fan of the team who is going to LOSE him aren't complaining about it too much, speaks volumes.

how in the world could we complain about it, he did a nice job for us no question, but signed as FA during the season after he got cut by the chargers and then 3 years later getting a 2nd rounder for him, i won´t complain at all, but couple him with tom brady and the spread formation they run all the time, one things for sure, welker will play a lot and should produce nice numbers in NE offense

Bling
03-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Its like giving 5 mil a year and a 2nd round draft pick for Roscoe Parrish. Same player.

Pats overspent.

:rofl: Welker is 5x the player Parrish is. He'd be the Bills #2 WR.

RedEyE
03-04-2007, 09:31 AM
I think Welker would thrive in Brady's offense. The guy can seriously hurt teams on the underneath routes. If he breaks into the open and kicks in those turbos, he's gone. Is he worth the money? Looks like the cap has determined that for us.

Michael82
03-04-2007, 10:20 AM
But I thought New England NEVER overpays??!?!? :scratch:

:lmao:

Michael82
03-04-2007, 10:22 AM
My God.....Ralph was right, we are headed towards Major League Baseball. These contracts are getting ridiculous! Just imagine when the really good players start asking for new deals.....Lee Evans is going to cost $9-10 million per year by the time he gets an extension. :ill:

jdbillsfan
03-04-2007, 12:14 PM

Based on what?

Welker has been in the league 4 years, has 1 receiving TD, averaging 11 yards a reception.

He averages 9.7 yards a punt return and 22.7 a kick return with a total of 1 returned touchdown.

Roscoe has been in the league 3 years, has 3 TD's, averaging 12 yards a reception.

He averages 12.0 a punt and 26 a Kick with 1 TD.

They are both 5-9 and pretty quick.

Bling
03-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Based on what?

Welker has been in the league 4 years, has 1 receiving TD, averaging 11 yards a reception.

He averages 9.7 yards a punt return and 22.7 a kick return with a total of 1 returned touchdown.

Roscoe has been in the league 3 years, has 3 TD's, averaging 12 yards a reception.

He averages 12.0 a punt and 26 a Kick with 1 TD.

They are both 5-9 and pretty quick.

This is the same lame arguement I get for Losman. "It's the average guys..."

You're telling me receptions and yards don't mean a thing. What matters is if you get more a better average? So I catch ten passes for 150 yards on the season, I'm better than both of them? You guys are such homers.

!Papacrunk!
03-04-2007, 12:55 PM
NE39, the Patriots will be getting a great player. True he may not be putting up Chad Johnson/ Harrison numbers, but he is one tough SOB with huge intensity on the field, a lot of heart to throw another cliche out there. It sucks that we are losing him to a division rival, but that's the game--at least we're getting a 2nd rounder (albeit a low one,) but getting a 2nd from a player that was a released/cut undrafted free agent. Good luck with him!

theanswer74
03-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Hey, the guy had 67 catches, returns kicks and punts. I think he is worth it.

YardRat
03-04-2007, 01:03 PM
I'd trade Parrish for Welker in a heartbeat.

justasportsfan
03-04-2007, 01:04 PM
NE39, the Patriots will be getting a great player. !

I wouldn't consider him great. Welker has the potential to be Beebee.

LtFinFan66
03-04-2007, 01:23 PM
he will be a fan favorite there as he is in Miami. All heart-average talent

DynaPaul
03-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Hey, the Patriots signed Sammy Morris too. Another ex-Bill, then ex-Dolphin.

don137
03-04-2007, 01:49 PM
The irony is they let a lot of receivers go and now will pay big money for a receiver. I like Welker a lot. He plays every play like it is his last but that is some big cash. Everyone is sure overspending, Bills included, but that's the market these days.

gr8slayer
03-04-2007, 01:50 PM
he will be a fan favorite there as he is in Miami. All heart-average talent
Sounds about right to me. Except for ST's.

G. Host
03-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Hey, the Patriots signed Sammy Morris too. Another ex-Bill, then ex-Dolphin.

Yeah I saw that. How many years? Does he still have time left in his career to play for NJ Jets for one season so he can make all of the AFC East teams? I was hoping he would go to NFC.

jdbillsfan
03-04-2007, 06:58 PM
This is the same lame arguement I get for Losman. "It's the average guys..."

You're telling me receptions and yards don't mean a thing. What matters is if you get more a better average? So I catch ten passes for 150 yards on the season, I'm better than both of them? You guys are such homers.

Welker had 300+ more yards. He had one touchdown and 680 yards. Big deal.

What is so special about him. This will be Roscoe's 4th season and I think he will have comparable numbers to Welker's 600.

Roscoe is also a better return man. Once he starts getting the ball more at Wide out, you will see.

jdbillsfan
03-04-2007, 06:59 PM

So how is Welker 5x the player Roscoe is? What has he done that is so special?

Dozerdog
03-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Welker kicked some FGs for Miami when Mare got hurt too.

He's one of the VERY FEW fins I have a smidgen of respect for.

Steve Tasker lite.

jdbillsfan
03-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Welker kicked some FGs for Miami when Mare got hurt too.

He's one of the VERY FEW fins I have a smidgen of respect for.

Steve Tasker lite.

But do you think he is worth 5+ mil a year and a 2nd round draft pick? I know everyone is getting paid now, but Welker?

I know with salaries now, its hard to justify much, but a 2nd round pick too?

I think its a joke. If Buffalo signed Kyle Brady, Sammy Morris and give up a 2nd rounder and 5 mil a year for Welker, I would be pissed.

DynaPaul
03-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Yeah I saw that. How many years? Does he still have time left in his career to play for NJ Jets for one season so he can make all of the AFC East teams? I was hoping he would go to NFC.

I'm not sure what the terms were. I just briefly read in a free agent blurb that he was signed. I imagine it couldn't have been for too much.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2007, 06:33 PM
After the trade today they signed him to a 5 Yr/$18M deal with $10.75M guaranteed.

gr8slayer
03-05-2007, 06:36 PM
After the trade today they signed him to a 5 Yr/$18M deal with $10.75M guaranteed.
That sounds ALOT better. Guess it was all speculation. Thanks for the update. What did the Pats have to give up?

Ickybaluky
03-05-2007, 06:40 PM
double-post

Ickybaluky
03-05-2007, 06:40 PM
That sounds ALOT better. Guess it was all speculation. Thanks for the update. What did the Pats have to give up?

They gave up their 7th round pick in addition to the 2nd that would have gone if they didn't match an offer sheet.

I agree, it does sound like a lot for Welker. I like the guy a lot, but the guaranteed money is pretty high. They must really like him, because they did pay a premium to get him.

That said, I think he helps them a lot. I would not be surprised if he caught 60-80 passes next year. Keeps the chains moving.

BTW, according to Adam Schefter, Donte Stallworth is in Foxborough visiting tonight.

gr8slayer
03-05-2007, 06:42 PM
They gave up their 7th round pick in addition to the 2nd that would have gone if they didn't match an offer sheet.

I agree, it does sound like a lot for Welker. I like the guy a lot, but the guaranteed money is pretty high. They must really like him, because they did pay a premium to get him.

That said, I think he helps them a lot. I would not be surprised if he caught 60-80 passes next year. Keeps the chains moving.

BTW, according to Adam Schefter, Donte Stallworth is in Foxborough visiting tonight.
Damn man, the Pats and Broncos aren't ****ing around this off=season.

justasportsfan
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM

this guy is quick+fast and Brady is known to find the open wr whether it's a rookie or not. Nice pick up for you guys.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2007, 06:46 PM

Yeah, I feel like a Redskins fan. I'm not even sure how to take this.

Stallworth has talent, but he is a risky sign. I hope they don't go too far overboard with guaranteed money if they sign him, because he doesn't strike me as the most mature kid in the world.

That said, I guess most WR are a little flaky, and Stallworth has speed they need to stretch the field. I hope you guys realize how lucky you are to have a WR as good as Evans who also has his head screwed on straight. He is rare in that way.

Dicknoze69
03-05-2007, 06:59 PM
I see Welker as an eventual replacement for Troy Brown.

Didn't Stallworth have some trouble with drugs recently?

Ickybaluky
03-05-2007, 07:04 PM

There was an article in the Philly papers stating he was in the drug program. In order to get in, you have to submit voluntarily or fail a test. His second failure would result in a 4-game suspension.

gr8slayer
03-05-2007, 07:07 PM

I think he recently entered rehab.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2007, 07:14 PM
I think he recently entered rehab.

No, but he is in the program and is subject to a 4-game suspension should he violate it in the future.

This is the article that outlines it:

LINK (http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/16835778.htm)

jdbillsfan
03-05-2007, 09:01 PM

If the Bills did the same thing, I would think they are out of their minds. I guess since it is the Pats, it looks good.

Dozerdog
03-06-2007, 09:52 AM
But do you think he is worth 5+ mil a year and a 2nd round draft pick? I know everyone is getting paid now, but Welker?

I know with salaries now, its hard to justify much, but a 2nd round pick too?

I think its a joke. If Buffalo signed Kyle Brady, Sammy Morris and give up a 2nd rounder and 5 mil a year for Welker, I would be pissed.

I'd pay $5 million a year for 5-6 years for Steve Tasker in his prime on this team right now.

Earthquake Enyart
03-06-2007, 10:16 AM
I'd pay $5 million a year for 5-6 years for Steve Tasker in his prime on this team right now.
Glad you're not the GM.

The Spaz
03-06-2007, 10:18 AM

You are not comparing Tasker to Welker are you?

G. Host
03-06-2007, 09:33 PM

Yeah but he is no Steve Tasker. Hopefully, since he is playing for Patriots, he will not become that good.