PDA

View Full Version : Welker is not an average WR

Bling
03-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Why are you guys lying to yourself? You can't stand to think of Welker on the Pats. He was 1 reception shy of #32 in receptions. Basically he caught #1 WR passing numbers as a third option. Talk about overachieving. You put him with Tom Brady, in a dink and dunk offense, talk about a clutch tandem. He's going to be a great #2 for the Pats, and definitely is a good WR. Get out of homer land. I can admit Welker is going to play better than any WR the Pats draft in the 2nd round.

Goobylal
03-03-2007, 06:53 PM
He's also going to play better than any Dols WR, which is why your team should be fighting the NFL on what appears to be a "poison pill" type of contract. You'll get no one even close to Welker at #60 in the draft.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Why are you guys lying to yourself? You can't stand to think of Welker on the Pats. He was 1 reception shy of #32 in receptions. Basically he caught #1 WR passing numbers as a third option. Talk about overachieving. You put him with Tom Brady, in a dink and dunk offense, talk about a clutch tandem. He's going to be a great #2 for the Pats, and definitely is a good WR. Get out of homer land. I can admit Welker is going to play better than any WR the Pats draft in the 2nd round.
All those catches and only one TD? Only ten YPC? No thanks to $38.5 MILLION.

B-DON
03-03-2007, 06:57 PM
**** welker. Is he going to take adam V's job too? He i a little above average at best calm down everybody

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Now for $20-25 Million. Sure I'll take him. He's a heck of a STer.

Devin
03-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Screw that man id take Welker in a heartbeat are you kidding?

That guy was all over the friggin place. And hes only going to get better.

38.5 is way high for him, but Tom Brady is going to make Welker a 1k wr probably with little effort.

God I hate the Patriots.

Buffalogic
Lol Welker is just a gimmick. A 38.5 million dollar gimmick. Pats did this before with Tim Dwight.

Bling

I'm not arguing the stupidity of the contract. I'm arguing how blind you guys are to the fact how valuable a player like Welker is.

Dolfan984
03-03-2007, 07:03 PM

He's a check down slot receiver. I know 1) He catches most of his passes on 3rd down and 2) He has a really high first down % when he catches the ball. Add that with being a top 10 PR, and the Pats got a hell of a lot better.

Dolfan984
03-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Lol Welker is just a gimmick. A 38.5 million dollar gimmick. Pats did this before with Tim Dwight.

The 2005 version of Tim Dwight couldn't hold Welker's jockstrap. Dude had good #s with JOEY HARRINGTON.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm not arguing the stupidity of the contract. I'm arguing how blind you guys are to the fact how valuable a player like Welker is.
I'm not arguing that he is valuable to any team. I think ST's is just as, if not more important than anything. I'm arguing your claims that he is a good WR.

Like I said $20-25 million no questions asked.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:05 PM
He's a check down slot receiver. I know 1) He catches most of his passes on 3rd down and 2) He has a really high first down % when he catches the ball. Add that with being a top 10 PR, and the Pats got a hell of a lot better.
Not arguing his value as an STer.

BTW he is probably more like a top 5 PR.

Dolfan984
03-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Not arguing his value as an STer.

BTW he is probably more like a top 5 PR.

I agree....hell in 2005 he was top 3.

Just didn't feel like starting any arguments debating how good of a PR he is.

He's got really solid hands, is super quick (which creates a lot of seperation) and is tough as nails.

Pretty much a young Troy Brown like someone else said.

Bling
03-03-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm not arguing that he is valuable to any team. I think ST's is just as, if not more important than anything. I'm arguing your claims that he is a good WR.

Like I said $20-25 million no questions asked.

LOL He's not a good WR. What's a good WR? You have to have a certain YPC and TD? TD's are pretty overrated. YPC has more weight, but I don't think it matters in a dink and dunk offense like Belicheck runs.

Mr. Pink
03-03-2007, 07:09 PM
BTW a very similiar player just got signed by the Jags.....for a much lower price. And, he's also a deep threat. Welker is a little better in the passing game but is he over 15 million dollars worth of better than Northcutt? Doubtful.

The patriots spending crazy dollars is something different this far.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:09 PM
I agree....hell in 2005 he was top 3.

Just didn't feel like starting any arguments debating how good of a PR he is.

He's got really solid hands, is super quick (which creates a lot of seperation) and is tough as nails.

Pretty much a young Troy Brown like someone else said.
I do not disagree with any of that. I simply don't see him being that great of a WR. It's a personal opinion. We have a guy who is justlike Welker (alittle quicker) in Parrish but the reality is he will always be a ST guy who makes a play here and there on Offense.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:10 PM
LOL He's not a good WR. What's a good WR? You have to have a certain YPC and TD? TD's are pretty overrated. YPC has more weight, but I don't think it matters in a dink and dunk offense like Belicheck runs.
You just lost all credibility on this subject.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:15 PM
BTW a very similiar player just got signed by the Jags.....for a much lower price. And, he's also a deep threat. Welker is a little better in the passing game but is he over 15 million dollars worth of better than Northcutt? Doubtful.

The patriots spending crazy dollars is something different this far.
I think Northcutt is the fastest man in the NFL.

!Papacrunk!
03-03-2007, 07:23 PM
**** welker. Is he going to take adam V's job too? He i a little above average at best calm down everybody

well actually in one game 2 years ago Welker kicked a PAT and then kicked the ensuing kickoff, lol

(our licker, not Mare, got injured during the game)

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:25 PM
well actually in one game 2 years ago Welker kicked a PAT and then kicked the ensuing kickoff, lol

(our licker, not Mare, got injured during the game)
hahaha. I forgot about that.

jmb1099
03-03-2007, 07:28 PM
I'd love to have Welker here. Losman Evans Welker would be very nice.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:29 PM
I'd love to have Welker here. Losman Evans Welker would be very nice.
For 38.5 million?

Bling
03-03-2007, 07:29 PM
You just lost all credibility on this subject.

:rofl: Because teams look to their #3 WR in the redzone. Any excuse you can make not to argue facts, huh? I bet BB will be happy with 75 receptions, 1000 yards and 3 TD's from Welker.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:31 PM
:rofl: Because teams look to their #3 WR in the redzone. Any excuse you can make not to argue facts, huh? I bet BB will be happy with 75 receptions, 1000 yards and 3 TD's from Welker.
Just the fact that you would even say "overrated" and TD's" in the same sentence says alot.

BTW it's a fact that Welker will be a great number one or number two? Wow, I've never met anyone who can see the future. How much will I make when my bonus comes around next?

X-Era
03-03-2007, 07:31 PM

I agree, hes not average, hes sub-par as a WR.

Peerless is better than Welker as a WR, thats not saying much.

SquishDaFish
03-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Welker is def one of the best STers. Hands down. Great signing for the Pats, way overpaid but great signing. Onto him being a great WR your the blind one Bling. He is a slight above average to average WR. Him as a WR doesnt really scare me when he plays our team. Now his special teams skills are scary.

Bling
03-03-2007, 07:32 PM
For 38.5 million?

:rofl: He simply said he'd love to have Welker.

I'd love to have Nate Clements.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:33 PM
:rofl: He simply said he'd love to have Welker.

I'd love to have Nate Clements.
I would love to have Nate too!!! But not for $80 million dollars.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Welker is def one of the best STers. Hands down. Great signing for the Pats, way overpaid but great signing. Onto him being a great WR your the blind one Bling. He is a slight above average to average WR. Him as a WR doesnt really scare me when he plays our team. Now his special teams skills are scary.
That's all I'm saying.

Ickybaluky
03-03-2007, 08:01 PM
You are getting too hung up on the $38.5M figure.

I'd be willing to bet the last couple of years of the 7 year deal are for inflated numbers that become guaranteed based on some condition if the Dolphins match (like him playing 5 games in Miami or something). That is typically how these poison pills work.

There is no doubt the Pats paid a premium to get him to sign the deal. However, I'd be willing to bet it really works out to something like 5 years/$18M with about $10M guaranteed. That is probably a little high, but I think the guy is a perfect fit for the Pats.

Personally, I think Welker is a terrific player. Granted, he isn't a big scorer, but he is a very good slot WR and terrific ST player. His versatility gives him value because he can make catches on 3rd down to keep the chains moving.

I see him as a solid replacement for some of the stuff Troy Brown has brought the Pats over the years. Same kind of player. I love this signing.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 08:03 PM
You are getting too hung up on the $38.5M figure.

I'd be willing to bet the last couple of years of the 7 year deal are for inflated numbers that become guaranteed based on some condition if the Dolphins match (like him playing 5 games in Miami or something). That is typically how these poison pills work.

There is no doubt the Pats paid a premium to get him to sign the deal. However, I'd be willing to bet it really works out to something like 5 years/$18M with about $10M guaranteed. That is probably a little high, but I think the guy is a perfect fit for the Pats.

Personally, I think Welker is a terrific player. Granted, he isn't a big scorer, but he is a very good slot WR and terrific ST player. His versatility gives him value because he can make catches on 3rd down to keep the chains moving.

I see him as a solid replacement for some of the stuff Troy Brown has brought the Pats over the years. Same kind of player. I love this signing.
Again, great STer. Average WR. Not a bad thing. You as a Pats fan know how important ST's are.

Bling
03-03-2007, 08:05 PM

He's a good WR. Numbers prove it. Why would I be blind about this? My team's getting raped of its best WR. I just have the unbias to admit that this 3rd WR guy did incredible with Joey Harrington as his QB. That's like Josh Evans getting 65 receptions. You put him with Tom Brady in an offense that loves to throw short passes, and you got yourself a good #2 in this league.

Bling
03-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Again, great STer. Average WR. Not a bad thing. You as a Pats fan know how important ST's are.

Tell me another 3 WR in this league with 67 receptions. Please do.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 08:08 PM
He's a good WR. Numbers prove it. Why would I be blind about this? My team's getting raped of its best WR. I just have the unbias to admit that this 3rd WR guy did incredible with Joey Harrington as his QB. That's like Josh Evans getting 65 receptions. You put him with Tom Brady in an offense that loves to throw short passes, and you got yourself a good #2 in this league.
Shall we put up ZB's on what his stats will be?

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Tell me another 3 WR in this league with 67 receptions. Please do.
What do receptions matter if your not doing anything with them. I'm sure I could find plenty of #3's that scored more than one TD this season (points, what really matters)

Bling
03-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Shall we put up ZB's on what his stats will be?

Since you have 3000 ZB's, I bet you 3000 ZBs he gets 70 receptions and 900 yards. That's 13 YPC. Sound good?

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Since you have 3000 ZB's, I bet you 3000 ZBs he gets 70 receptions and 900 yards. That's 13 YPC. Sound good?
You have a deal.

Ickybaluky
03-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Personally, I think Welker is better than that. I see him as a Wayne Chrebet-type of WR with great short-area quickness. He isn't going to beat you deep and he isn't going to break tackles, but he can get open in the short/middle zones and move the chains. That has real value keeping drives alive.

I think he will be a great slot guy, and his ST contributions, versatility and knack for coming up clutch make him more valuable.

Bling
03-03-2007, 08:15 PM
What do receptions matter if your not doing anything with them. I'm sure I could find plenty of #3's that scored more than one TD this season (points, what really matters)

So if you go by that logic, Chris Henry and TJ Housh are better at what they do than Lee Evans? Mike Vick is a better QB than JP Losman? McGahee is the 20th RB in the league, and is no better than Cedric Benson (who has no trade value)? Let's be real here. Receptions has less variables than TD passes. You get one opportunity every other week as a WR. You get 5 or 6 a game receptions.

SquishDaFish
03-03-2007, 08:21 PM

Who in the blue hell is Josh Evans?? LMAO

SquishDaFish
03-03-2007, 08:22 PM
NE your prob right on that contract which makes it a good dealif that the case. Good signing for your team bro.

YardRat
03-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Good signing by the Pats, IMO. Along with Thomas, they've gotten a couple of guys that are going to be a pain in our asses to compete against twice a year.

I agree with others who compare him to Troy Brown, except I haven't seen Welker play d-back. Yet.

SquishDaFish
03-03-2007, 08:32 PM
They also signed Sammy Morris today.

The Spaz
03-03-2007, 08:54 PM
I will not kiss any Patty ass period.:up:

ShadowHawk7
03-04-2007, 02:04 AM
Yeah man, I'm scared of Welker more than any once else on the Miami team. I guess that's not saying much, but he reminds me of a Wayne Crebet but w/ great ST skills.

mikemac2001
03-04-2007, 02:20 AM
i kinda like welker dudes got 99 heart

Crisis
03-04-2007, 04:24 AM
i kinda like welker dudes got 99 heart

Too bad his speed is only like 68.