PDA

View Full Version : Our New FA's According to Scouts.com

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:20 PM
First Whittle:

Positives: Whittle is a versatile veteran who has good size and starting experience. He can play every position on the line. He is smart and instinctive. He knows how to use angles to get position and wall off. He plays with good balance and leverage, and he routinely makes contact. He is effective on traps, pulls and second-level blocks, and he rarely lunges and winds up on the ground. He is a better pass protector than he is a run blocker. He moves well and can adjust and redirect in protection.

Negatives: But Whittle lacks ideal lower-body strength and power. He won't move defenders out of the hole. He has trouble holding up at the point of attack against big two-gap bull rushers. He doesn't fare well in a lot of short-area fistfights.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Dockery

Positives: Dockery is a big, massive offensive guard who has good size and strength for the position. He has good overall athletic skills and enough versatility to play both OG/OT. In the running game, he is a road grader who best fits a zone-blocking run scheme. He has the ability to come off and get movement in the running game. He can bend and maintain his pad level with good balance and control on both reach and cutoff blocks. He knows how to use his size to position and wall-off between ball carrier and defender when getting position in a short area. He can come off and get movement off combination patterns but struggles at times with his balance and control when maintaining his position on the second level. He can short pull and connect but struggles to play under control off long pulls and in open space. He needs to improve his overall consistency and ability to finish late in games in the running game. In the passing game, he can bend his knees, slide and plays with a wide base off a short set. He matches up better vs. power rushers rather than quick inside edge rushers. He has good long arms and can extend out with a strong stab and punch.

Negatives: He does have some stiffness in his hips, which restricts his ability to adjust vs. quick double move inside rushers. He can drop his hips and anchor vs. power but will get top heavy and overextend vs. speed and quickness. Overall, Derrick is still and young ascending player with a good upside to develop into a frontline starting NFL player. He has shown steady improvement with his technique and footwork over the last few years.

gr8slayer
03-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Walker

Positives: Walker is gigantic and moves well for his size. He has starting experience at tackle and guard. He has an ideal frame at tackle: great height, very good bulk and long arms. He has the lateral mobility to slide and mirror. He can redirect and recover if beaten. He even can pull from the guard position. His size forces defenders to take an extra step to get around his edge. He is quick enough off the ball and can get to the second level and get position. He is powerful, plays with a very wide base and can engulf defenders off the snap.

Negatives: . But Walker is very inconsistent. He takes some plays off and looks bad or disinterested. He catches defenders too often, instead of striking. He sometimes overextends instead of moving his feet. He can be slow to recognize blitzes and stunts. His competitiveness and toughness are concerns.

YardRat
03-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Nice find, slayer. Thanks :D

I really hope Walker is inserted at guard, and not RT...I just can't stress that enough.

Philagape
03-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Speaking of the whole guard/tackle issue, I just want to say I don't give a crap about overpaying for a certain position relative to other positions. To say someone makes too much for a guard but not too much for a tackle, so what? As long as we're within the cap and the team plays well, I could give a frak about who makes what.

Mitchy moo
03-03-2007, 10:39 PM
I could give a frak about who makes what.

You must of just got done watching battlestar galactica just like me, lol.:respect:

Bert102176
03-03-2007, 11:06 PM
lol, that show is awesome