• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Why McGahee is still on this team.

Honestly, I don't see them trading McGahee for anything below a 1st or 2nd - which, we all know realistically means he's on the team next year.

I've heard some other people speculate that this was the intention all along, and I don't know that I agree or disagree with it, its certainly plausible. Knock Willis and Rosenhaus down a few pegs by proving what his real worth is to the rest of the NFL, thus making any kind of holdout much more unlikely, and forcing him to play his ass off this year for the big payday next year.

With the combination of a significantly improved oline, and playing in a contract year, McGahee is poised to have a very good season. Then they can decide where to go from there - the way it looks now, they'd most likely dump his ass, and take advantage of the RB rich draft class of 2008.

Depending on just how good of a year he had, they could have even more options - possibly tagging and trading him, or even keeping him - very unlikely from our perspective now, but possible.

I think odds are McGahee is our starter next year, for good or bad.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Why McGahee is still on this team.

and take advantage of the RB rich draft class of 2008
    But why would a team needing a RB trade for McGahee (especially a first or second rounder) and his attitude if they can take a shot at the draft also?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

its like deja vu all over again
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• njsue
        Jersey Girl!!!!!!
        • Sep 2003

He will be traded when the 07 Draft gets closer.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
          But why would a team needing a RB trade for McGahee (especially a first or second rounder) and his attitude if they can take a shot at the draft also?
          Um, right, which is why I think he's still our RB next year...

Comment

• djjimkelly
            • Apr 2003

look i remember this time last year where there was several leeks that marv and dick wanted losman gone. everyone had their balls in an uproar. then the biggest farce of a qb competition proceeded to happen and losman started to get like i personally knew he would. lets hope these rumours are just rumours and mcgahee busts loose behind the revamped o line so we can stack our team more accordingly!!!

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by JJamezz
              Um, right, which is why I think he's still our RB next year...
              I might have misinterpreted your initial post...When you say next year, are you referring to '07 or '08, because this...

With the combination of a significantly improved oline, and playing in a contract year, McGahee is poised to have a very good season. Then they can decide where to go from there - the way it looks now, they'd most likely dump his ass, and take advantage of the RB rich draft class of 2008.
              ...led me to believe he would be the starter in '07, and we would get rid of him (or get a better deal for him) in '08 and he would be gone.

Which led to my question...If the RB depth is so good for the '08 draft, why wouldn't a team prefer to take a shot there instead of trading for McGahee? It would seem to me that McGahee's value would bring more in return during a year where the rookie crop isn't perceived to be that good.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
                I might have misinterpreted your initial post...When you say next year, are you referring to '07 or '08, because this...

...led me to believe he would be the starter in '07, and we would get rid of him (or get a better deal for him) in '08 and he would be gone.

Which led to my question...If the RB depth is so good for the '08 draft, why wouldn't a team prefer to take a shot there instead of trading for McGahee? It would seem to me that McGahee's value would bring more in return during a year where the rookie crop isn't perceived to be that good.
                Yeah, rereading my post, in places I used 'next year' to refer to 2007 and 2008.. sorry about that.

Some teams certainly would rather roll the dice in a deep RB draft in 2008, but there are always some who would prefer a proven vet, which is Willis would be if were to excel in 2007.

The argument could be made, and I think you're alluding to this, that it'd be better to get something for him now than risk getting nothing next offseason. No doubt.

I just think behind a much improved line, and playing in a contract year, the pieces are in place for Willis to potentially have a very good season, which would pretty much ensure that we either get something for him next offseason, or decide to resign him (as ridiculous as the latter sounds at this point).

ANyway, its all just a thought.. I like to think about these things from different angles sometimes, might be accurate, might not.

Comment

• GarnOFreak
                  • Aug 2004

after next year(2007) we can franchise tag him. If anyone wants him they have to give us something(which of course would depend on him working out a contract with them in advance) in return then, so it's not like people are saying that if they want him, wait a year and then they can have him for free. The worst possible thing he could do is holdout. Not worst for the team, but worst for himself, becuase it will drive away suitors AND lower the amount people will offer him interms of money. If he was smart he would just shut up, produce, and cash in next year. The best case scenario for him is to have a breakout season behind an improved line here. Honestly, coming off of a 990 yard season he will get less money than if he goes out and nets 1400 yards in 2007 and doubles his TDs. How can that not be going through his(and his agent's head right now)? The better he makes the running game look the more attractive he will be in Free Agency. Just because we don't complete a trade for him this year, it doesn't mean we will walk away with absolutely nothing next year. RBs that get franchised don't cost that much comparatively to other positions.
                  "Littlest Bill provides biggest punch"
                  Niagara Gazette reports: 'Parrish’s return was more about an electric returner scaring the bejeezus out of would-be tacklers than a group of kindergartners feebly chasing a hamster after someone forgot to latch the cage.'

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                    • Jun 2005

Im still in the camp of he stays plays great, grows up and we work out a contract extension with him. Hes one of my fav Bills and hope he stays and does well.

Comment

Working...
                    X