• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Trading for Chargers' Turner could buoy Bills

The in-progress facelift of Buffalo's offensive line can't be a bad thing, but who's going to run behind that line if Willis McGahee is traded?

The Bills intend to keep Anthony Thomas, but they'll be in big trouble if he's anything more than the No. 2 running back.

Here's a suggestion to pursue a trade for San Diego's Michael Turner, who has been backing up LaDainian Tomlinson and is a restricted free agent. He'll be an unrestricted free agent after this season and his price will be much higher..

Last season, the 25-year-old Turner had 80 carries for 502 yards (6.3-yard average). In three NFL seasons, he has 157 carries for 941 yards (6.0 yards per carry) and 5 TDs. He has fumbled only once. Turner hasn't been a pass-catching threat out of the backfield (7 catches for 55 yards), but the 5-foot-10, 237-pounder has been durable and has power and big-play speed.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Canadian'eh!
    • Mar 2004

Re: Trading for Chargers' Turner could buoy Bills

I almost posted this idea the other day.

Turner is GOOD. I don't know if they would part with him, but if they would he's got a TON of potential to be a feature back.

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

Still not 100% sure he can do it for the long haul, but if you're going to gamble, these are the ones you gamble on. Do you think they'd take our 2nd for him? It is a pretty high 2nd, after all. If we could deal McGahee for a 3rd (especially that proposed Denver pick), I'd feel a little bit easier with letting that 2nd go.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

The Chargers tendered Turner, which would cost any team a 1st round pick and a 3rd to aquire him.

Someone should contact Bob Matthews and explain current events to him. He's getting old.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

I'm sure SD would settle for less. I bet they just put the high tender on so they could pick who he goes to. After this season he would be gone anyways.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

I'd trade McGahee for Turner straight up. We'd add a heart, and a brain.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
              • Mar 2004

I think Michael Turner is great, but my gut tells me that he won't make an exceptional every down back---see Lamont Jordan.

Comment

• acehole
                • Jan 2006

Great idea Bob... What do you do come read our stuff then write a story about it?

Gezze.

Hated by the stupid..
                Loved by their moms.

Comment

• RockStar36
                  Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by !Papacrunk!
                  I think Michael Turner is great, but my gut tells me that he won't make an exceptional every down back---see Lamont Jordan.
                  Exactly what I was thinking.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by !Papacrunk!
                    I think Michael Turner is great, but my gut tells me that he won't make an exceptional every down back
                    And Willis is?
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• feelthepain
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                      And Willis is?
                      How was the line he was running behind?? I see the Bills are trying to fix that, If Willis was the problem why fix the Line? Denver wouldn't be interested in Willis if he wasn't capapble. Besides, the philosophy of the running game is changing, more teams are changing to a 2 back system, there's no need to be an every down back. I don't think anyone is going to knock themselves out to get Willis, but put him in Denver or KC and Willis could be a probowl RB.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Aug 2004

I doubt we trade Willis for more than a low second round pick (Denver's) and that SD would accept less than a first round pick for Turner this year. Despite all the coaching changes they've had, their front office has to believe that they are a serious playoff contender still and, if LT2 gets hurt (and he has missed some games and time in the not-too-distant past), Turner gives them solid insurance that they could still contend if Turner has to fill in for LT2 for a couple of games. Right now, Turner is more valuable to the Chargers than what they could get from anything less than a first round pick (including, in all likelihood, a high second rounder).

Then, there's the question of whether Turner can be the main man for a team that has already been raised in this thread. Nobody really knows. And, the Bills would be hinging a lot of their season and future on that. I'm not sure I would be willing to make that move at the price it is likely to cost.

I'd take Jordan over McGahee based on his pass catching ability out of the backfield. And, if Willis goes, I wouldn't mind seeing Jordan replace him. But, I think that, if the Bills trade McGahee, they will re-sign A.Thomas and draft a RB, knowing that they aren't quite ready to make that run at a title just yet and that next year's draft is likely to feature a number of top-flight RB prospects--and that they could then draft one and pair him with the RB they draft this season to give them a dynamic, young RB duo in 2008.
                        Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                          • Feb 2005

I still say I would rather draft Marshawn Lynch. Still, I somehow doubt McGahee is going anywhere this year unless Marv and Co. get at least a second rounder.

Comment

• feelthepain
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
                            I doubt we trade Willis for more than a low second round pick (Denver's) and that SD would accept less than a first round pick for Turner this year. Despite all the coaching changes they've had, their front office has to believe that they are a serious playoff contender still and, if LT2 gets hurt (and he has missed some games and time in the not-too-distant past), Turner gives them solid insurance that they could still contend if Turner has to fill in for LT2 for a couple of games. Right now, Turner is more valuable to the Chargers than what they could get from anything less than a first round pick (including, in all likelihood, a high second rounder).

Then, there's the question of whether Turner can be the main man for a team that has already been raised in this thread. Nobody really knows. And, the Bills would be hinging a lot of their season and future on that. I'm not sure I would be willing to make that move at the price it is likely to cost.

I'd take Jordan over McGahee based on his pass catching ability out of the backfield. And, if Willis goes, I wouldn't mind seeing Jordan replace him. But, I think that, if the Bills trade McGahee, they will re-sign A.Thomas and draft a RB, knowing that they aren't quite ready to make that run at a title just yet and that next year's draft is likely to feature a number of top-flight RB prospects--and that they could then draft one and pair him with the RB they draft this season to give them a dynamic, young RB duo in 2008.

Why would San Diego tender him a first rounder if they didn't think someone would give them that?? If they'd be willing to take a second, why not tender Turnner to a second?? Obviously they like him enough that they wouldn't want to lose him for a second, but would love to get a first and third. Would the Bills be willing to give up 2 seconds?? Cause that's probably enough to get him out of San Diego. However I seriously doubt the Bills get a second for Willis, not that he's not good enough, but his issues have lowered his value and Denver knows it.

Comment

• Talk0fNewYork
                              ~ I Can't Feel My Face ~
                              • Jan 2007

No backup RB is worth a 1st and 3rd regardless!

Comment

Working...
                              X