PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Give it to Marv

ghz in pittsburgh
03-05-2007, 05:43 AM
It's pretty clear from last year's free agency that we have mixed results. The big singings of Triplett, Royal are OK. The best signing might be retaining Denny and got K. Thomas. Reed is OK. Price is a disappointment.

I'm going to guess that this year's FA will more or less to mirror the result of last year's overall. But if you look at Bills from the managing viewpoint, you have to be happy that the team has a direction and focus, and for once, they stick to it.

they will mainly build through the draft. They will give out big money to young players who have proved themselves to belong in NFL and whom they believe have their best days ahead of them.

Last year, whether they openly said it or not, was about finding out whether the team has a QB. They stayed true to that.

This year, they want to address run and stop the run as Marv said it clearly several times. And they put their attention and money on offensive line - a sore weakness of this team for years.

I fully expect they focus on D-line and linebackers the rest of the way because that's where you stop the run.

You have to point to the one at the helm for this kind of focus and consistent approach of the team. I tip my hat to Marv Levy. He is old. He may not be the choice of coach that I like, but he surely knows how to manage/run a football team from the football side with the best of them.

Night Train
03-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Didn't you get the ESPN memo ? Marv is an old fool and the Bills have no idea what they are doing.

Always trust the Worldwide leader in Sports ( cough )..

Jan Reimers
03-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Marv has a plan for rebuilding this team, and the focus and fortitude to stick with it, despite criticism from media and fans. I really admire the guy.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-05-2007, 07:21 AM
I said in my article on the BZ front page after last year's draft that Marv was taking an "Old School" approach to building the team and he has been slowly and methodically weeding out the lockerroom and adding pieces to the puzzle.

Even with another good solid draft this year, though, I think the Bills will still be a few pieces and a bit of inexperience away from being a serious playoff contender. But, the foundation is already being built for a team that will be able to not just make the playoffs for a year because of an easy schedule (like Miami and the Jets did the last couple of years), but be serious contenders consistently over a period of 3-5 years. The Bills are a very young team at this point (and probably going to get a bit younger after the draft) that still needs to learn how to win consistently, but Marv Levy has the team pointed in the right direction and is slowly putting the pieces in place after having to pick up the pieces of the mess that T.Donahoe left in the Bills' lockerroom before he departed.

justasportsfan
03-05-2007, 09:26 AM
what I like about MArv is that he doesn't rule with a fist. He doesn't pretend to know it all.

raphael120
03-05-2007, 11:26 AM
hey, marv knows the ingredients to cook up a 4 straight year super bowl run...keep cookin, marv

ublinkwescore
03-05-2007, 02:00 PM
hey, marv knows the ingredients to cook up a 4 straight year super bowl run...keep cookin, marv

And that will never happen again.

DynaPaul
03-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Didn't you get the ESPN memo ? Marv is an old fool and the Bills have no idea what they are doing.

Always trust the Worldwide leader in Sports ( cough )..

AKA Donahoe's butt buddies and PR machine. Surprised they haven't gotten him another job yet.

The Answer
03-05-2007, 04:31 PM
It's pretty clear from last year's free agency that we have mixed results. The big singings of Triplett, Royal are OK. The best signing might be retaining Denny and got K. Thomas. Reed is OK. Price is a disappointment.

I'm going to guess that this year's FA will more or less to mirror the result of last year's overall. But if you look at Bills from the managing viewpoint, you have to be happy that the team has a direction and focus, and for once, they stick to it.

they will mainly build through the draft. They will give out big money to young players who have proved themselves to belong in NFL and whom they believe have their best days ahead of them.

Last year, whether they openly said it or not, was about finding out whether the team has a QB. They stayed true to that.

This year, they want to address run and stop the run as Marv said it clearly several times. And they put their attention and money on offensive line - a sore weakness of this team for years.

I fully expect they focus on D-line and linebackers the rest of the way because that's where you stop the run.

You have to point to the one at the helm for this kind of focus and consistent approach of the team. I tip my hat to Marv Levy. He is old. He may not be the choice of coach that I like, but he surely knows how to manage/run a football team from the football side with the best of them.

The Answer wants to see results before he gives anybody praise.

So far Marv gets a complimentary pat on the back for addressing the oline with the swiftness - but the botton line here is that talk is cheap. The Answer wants to see division titles and playoff wins and he wants to see them now!

~The Answer

Jan Reimers
03-05-2007, 07:56 PM
The Answer wants to see results before he gives anybody praise.

So far Marv gets a complimentary pat on the back for addressing the oline with the swiftness - but the botton line here is that talk is cheap. The Answer wants to see division titles and playoff wins and he wants to see them now!

~The Answer
God, how profound.

Typ0
03-06-2007, 07:38 AM
I think it's kind of funny the apparent blinders on about Marv. I like the guy and think he can get it done...but I also have to acknowledge all the hypocrites and evidence that he's only a figurehead. A couple weeks ago we were here totally confused by that terrible press conference, where ML admitted he was clueless about the workings of an NFL franchise, didn't know much about his players, and didn't have a lot of influence on how the team would be put together. People quickly ran in to say "marv is only responsible to delegate. The fact that he doesn't really understand what he's delegating is unimportant." And now those same people are singing praise to ML for finally buying a proven OLineman for tons of $$$ and overpaying another who is going to smell like a pile of dog turd on the field.

Well what is it people...if it's OK for marv to be clueless then you can't turn around and give him credit for what the team has done.

Jan Reimers
03-06-2007, 08:23 AM
There are some of us who understand that good managers hire good people and let them do their jobs. Marv is a big picture guy with a broad plan for this team, rather than a headline seeking, control freak, micromanager like TD was.

Talk0fNewYork
03-06-2007, 08:38 AM
There are some of us who understand that good managers hire good people and let them do their jobs. Marv is a big picture guy with a broad plan for this team, rather than a headline seeking, control freak, micromanager like TD was.:respect:

Bufftp
03-06-2007, 08:44 AM
The press conference was a ruse. Ask bf1, he is an expert about ruses.

Statman
03-06-2007, 11:53 AM
This is all fluff.

Who cares about a plan and a direction unless it works.

Statman
03-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Fans in Buffalo have gone soft in terms of expectations.

justasportsfan
03-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Fans in Buffalo have gone soft in terms of expectations.

really? Maybe we're tired of expecting too much from the TD era.

Mr. Miyagi
03-06-2007, 11:59 AM
This is all fluff.

Who cares about a plan and a direction unless it works.
We won't know if the plans and directions work until they do, will we?