X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick76777
    • Jul 2002

My thoughts on Spikes and McGahee.

We signed Spikes to a huge FA contract because he was one of the best LB’s in the NFL. At this point, the larger portion of the back-ended contract is in effect and Spikes is probably an average LB at best. So we’re paying huge bucks to an average LB! For this reason, even though I love Spikes and wish it had gone better, I’m totally cool with cutting the guy. He’ll probably sign somewhere for a modest contract and have a decent year, which is great, but that same decent year would have cost us a fortune.

As for McGahee, he’s on the last year of his relatively modest and incentive laden rookie contract. Besides for attitude issues (not so much a bad attitude so much as a lazy attitude), there’s no reason not to keep this guy on the team. In a trade you’re only going to get at best a 3rd rounder and you’re not saving a ton of cap money. But by keeping him, I think it could benefit us. Based on the fact that it would be a contract year for Willis I would assume the following:

-He won’t hold out because it could cost him Millions.
    -He’ll suddenly care. He’ll have a little passion and sure that passion will be based on anger for us making him play the last year of his contract and that he needs to show his skills in order to be an attractive free agent, but it’s passion nonetheless.

So now you have a back playing hard ever week (for himself) but getting us results on the field.

Then after his great year, we have options, Resign him, Franchise him and keep him for another year, Franchise him and trade him, or just let him walk.

So I’ve got not problem losing Spikes, but don’t really see the value in dumping Willis.
    Resign our own guys!
  • Talk0fNewYork
    ~ I Can't Feel My Face ~
    • Jan 2007

Re: My thoughts on Spikes and McGahee.

Once he see's how mutch Nate made in free agency that S.O.B better play his ass off!

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

I agree with you for the most part except for getting rid of Spikes this year. Our LB corps is already a ? but I don't even want to think about it without some veteran leadership.

Comment

• Patrick76777
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
        I agree with you for the most part except for getting rid of Spikes this year. Our LB corps is already a ? but I don't even want to think about it without some veteran leadership.

I'd much rather keep him, but I can see why they'd dump him.
        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
          • Jul 2005

I honestly don't know what to think about Spikes.

But regarding McGahee, the arguments for trading him are that 1) we're clearly not going to resign him after next season, so might as well try and get something for him now, and 2) that his moderate production could be replaced by another, perhaps less expensive back or even a rookie.

I think its kind of a crapshoot, but I'm inclined to agree that we should keep him for this season. As you note, he has to try hard this season, or he won't get paid in the FA market next year. And I really like the idea of not having to fill a hole at RB this year, as we've already got to deal with LB, DT and CB. Add in the fact that next year's draft is supposedly better for RBs, and it just makes a little more sense to me.

The wildcard is of course the stuff we can't see from out here: whether he's truly unhappy, likely to hold out etc.
          Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Patrick76777
            I'd much rather keep him, but I can see why they'd dump him.
            Unless he'll restructure.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gr8slayer
              Unless he'll restructure.
              I think the Bills medical staff knows something we don't or that would have already been in the works.

I would keep McGahee and try and trade Spikes which will be all but impossible. I think both trade options are just to go back to the players and say "there's no market for you losers".

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

but don’t really see the value in dumping Willis.
                If he's not gone today, he'll be gone tomorrow. Build our future today by bringing in our rb for years to come. Find someone who got great work ethic and most especially , wants to be here. He'll be doing it for the money or himself and not because he wants to win. I doubt he'll ever put the team ahead of himself.

Willis may tear it up but he'll cause problems one way or another if not in the locker room, off the field. If above average rb's were hard to come by, by all means keep him. They're a dime a dozen and almost anyone these days can run for 900 yds even Ralphy himself.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

I would give Spikes every opportunity to come back, but if the doctors tell me that he'll never be 100% again, I'd probably let him go.

I agree with Pat 100% about McGahee. Nothing wrong with keeping him and letting him play his way into FA. I don't see a better alternative right now.

Comment

• jpdex12
                    • Jan 2005

We signed Spikes to a huge FA contract because he was one of the best LB’s in the NFL. At this point, the larger portion of the back-ended contract is in effect and Spikes is probably an average LB at best. So we’re paying huge bucks to an average LB! For this reason, even though I love Spikes and wish it had gone better, I’m totally cool with cutting the guy. He’ll probably sign somewhere for a modest contract and have a decent year, which is great, but that same decent year would have cost us a fortune.

As for McGahee, he’s on the last year of his relatively modest and incentive laden rookie contract. Besides for attitude issues (not so much a bad attitude so much as a lazy attitude), there’s no reason not to keep this guy on the team. In a trade you’re only going to get at best a 3rd rounder and you’re not saving a ton of cap money. But by keeping him, I think it could benefit us. Based on the fact that it would be a contract year for Willis I would assume the following:

-He’ll suddenly care. He’ll have a little passion and sure that passion will be based on anger for us making him play the last year of his contract and that he needs to show his skills in order to be an attractive free agent, but it’s passion nonetheless.

So now you have a back playing hard ever week (for himself) but getting us results on the field.

Then after his great year, we have options, Resign him, Franchise him and keep him for another year, Franchise him and trade him, or just let him walk.

So I’ve got not problem losing Spikes, but don’t really see the value in dumping Willis.
                    Who's gonna need a RB next year though?
                    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

I think it's been reported that Spikes is the one who requested to be traded or released. If he doesn't want to be in Buffalo, then let him go.

Comment

• mybills
                        81 st zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Agree on both counts.
                        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• mybills
                          81 st zoner
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jpdex12
                          Who's gonna need a RB next year though?
                          We will, of course.
                          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• raphael120
                            Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                            • Oct 2005

i think we need to bring in a rookie RB to push mcgahee...imagine a rookie RB comin in, showin up mcgahee...think that'll light a fire under his ass

Comment

• mysticsoto
                              Too sober for this...
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                              If he's not gone today, he'll be gone tomorrow. Build our future today by bringing in our rb for years to come. Find someone who got great work ethic and most especially , wants to be here. He'll be doing it for the money or himself and not because he wants to win. I doubt he'll ever put the team ahead of himself.

Willis may tear it up but he'll cause problems one way or another if not in the locker room, off the field. If above average rb's were hard to come by, by all means keep him. They're a dime a dozen and almost anyone these days can run for 900 yds even Ralphy himself.
                              It is better to get one of the glut of rookie RBs that will be available next year. Did you see how much the Texans gave Ahman Green who is past his prime? There's no logic to getting rid of McGahee and having to pay Dillon, Lewis or another soon to be has-been that kind of money when we can have McGahee under contract for one more year, playing his ass off to try and get crazy money next year, and then have our choice in the glut of RBs in next year's draft and grab a young guy at a much cheaper rate that these old guys would want.

It just makes perfect sense to keep McGahee for one more year - it makes perfect sense from a financial POV and from a out-of-all-years-this-is-the-year-he-will-definitely-produce POV!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X