PDA

View Full Version : Now that FA has begun what do we do at 12???

bigbub2352
03-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Now that we signed these lineman, and have alot of depth on the Oline, and Dline, at least DE, the postions are narrowing down to what the Bills should take at 12

If Mcgahee is traded do u go RB

If Spikes is traded do u go LB

if both are traded for draft picks, then what postion do u let slide and take with your first day value picks

I personally think we go CB, DT, or LB depending on who falls and who is available

i think with our two outstanding Safties less demand should be a CB, also Youboty, and Greer soften the blow alittle as per depth and potential

if Branch or Okoye fall it is no brainer to take one
but if they dont i feel the must need is a LB and if Willis is there we can take him
Or we can trade out hope he falls and take best player available, at RB or LB, or CB
In my opionion these signings have left the Bills in a great postion at 12
Lets hope Marv and OBD can take advatage of it.!!

patmoran2006
03-05-2007, 10:07 AM
If Okoye is there at 12, I think we take him.

If not, we go LB.

justasportsfan
03-05-2007, 10:08 AM
I doubt we grab a DT with our first pick since we still have MCcargo and Kyle Williams . Marv didn't grab a qb because he didn't know what we had in JP and I think he will do the same in the DT position.

I also doubt a cb because the cover 2 does not require a great cb.

If he does go after a lb'er in FA, I would think he would draft more weapons for JP. Either a rb or wr. Otherwise a lb'er is not out of the question.

Earthquake Enyart
03-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Leon Hall.

Don't Panic
03-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I still think its LB. Crowell/Spikes/Ellison is not enough heading into camp. The LB position is vitally important in the cover 2. Willis or trade down and get Timmons.

bigbub2352
03-05-2007, 10:35 AM
I am torn between an offensive weapon and a D starter
I would like them to go CB, or LB but from what i read it is a reahc for us to go with one at 12, but so was Whitner so it really is a toss up

if a stud WR or RB is left at 12 and we got rid of McGahee we can go for rb too
it will be interesting

mysticsoto
03-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Marv mentioned attacking Middle Linebacker and we don't have that - even if Crowell moves to the position. He likely has his sights set on Patrick Willis!!!

alohabillsfan
03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
The better the D-Line the better the LB's (just like the O-line improving the RB, QB, TE's and WR's). I would take Okoye in a heart beat, makes the LB's and DB's better, plus since he is young and still growing he could cover either DT position.
Round 2 MLB Siler
Round 3 RB Pittman
Round 4 OLB Simpson

The Answer
03-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Now that we signed these lineman, and have alot of depth on the Oline, and Dline, at least DE, the postions are narrowing down to what the Bills should take at 12

If Mcgahee is traded do u go RB

If Spikes is traded do u go LB

if both are traded for draft picks, then what postion do u let slide and take with your first day value picks

I personally think we go CB, DT, or LB depending on who falls and who is available

i think with our two outstanding Safties less demand should be a CB, also Youboty, and Greer soften the blow alittle as per depth and potential

if Branch or Okoye fall it is no brainer to take one
but if they dont i feel the must need is a LB and if Willis is there we can take him
Or we can trade out hope he falls and take best player available, at RB or LB, or CB
In my opionion these signings have left the Bills in a great postion at 12
Lets hope Marv and OBD can take advatage of it.!!

Given the number of holes we are still going to have to fill - The Answer believes in this case we either go the 'best player available' route, or we trade down and acquire more draft picks.

Key here is avoiding another McCargo type of scenario - can't afford to squander draft picks for players that aren't worth it.

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
03-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Given the number of holes we are still going to have to fill - The Answer believes in this case we either go the 'best player available' route, or we trade down and acquire more draft picks.

Key here is avoiding another McCargo type of scenario - can't afford to squander draft picks for players that aren't worth it.

~The Answer

How have you determined McCargo is not worth it after 5 games?

The Answer
03-05-2007, 11:02 AM
How have you determined McCargo is not worth it after 5 games?

He wasn't worth the 2nd rounder we had to give up to take him. We could have stood pat and let him fall into our laps in the 2nd round.

Not saying McCargo is a bust yet - but he has shown bust tendencies in year one - missing more than half the season isn't a good thing as a rookie.

~The Answer

Earthquake Enyart
03-05-2007, 11:04 AM
McCargo had a second round grade. :::

Dr. Lecter
03-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Marv mentioned attacking Middle Linebacker and we don't have that - even if Crowell moves to the position. He likely has his sights set on Patrick Willis!!!

Listening to his press conferene I thought two things:

1. The Bills would concentrate on the O-line in FA. They would spend money on one-two guys.
2. They would address LB in the draft.

I see either Siler or Willis in a Bills unifrom.

Dr. Lecter
03-05-2007, 11:06 AM
He wasn't worth the 2nd rounder we had to give up to take him. We could have stood pat and let him fall into our laps in the 2nd round.

Not saying McCargo is a bust yet - but he has shown bust tendencies in year one - missing more than half the season isn't a good thing as a rookie.

~The Answer

Except the Giants very likely would have taken him at the end of the 1st.

The Answer
03-05-2007, 11:07 AM
McCargo had a second round grade. :::

The Answer had him graded as a 3rd/4th round pick on his board - McCargo has some talent, but he's either another Tim Anderson, or a serviceable player - 2007 should be a good barometer of that.

~The Answer

Earthquake Enyart
03-05-2007, 11:07 AM
But since Youboty had a first round grade, that made up for it.

bigbub2352
03-05-2007, 11:30 AM
i think we need to go Defense more than O, the only way we go offense is if someone big falls, we gotta shore up the middle to stop the run, i think i vote for Willis at LB unless we trade out
i really like Bush in the 2nd round

Kenny
03-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I think @ 12 we go for Willis. Other possibilities are Okoye if he falls, and possibly Branch.
I dont see many RBs to go for other than the obvious Peterson or Lynch. I wouldnt mind Booker for a late 2nd or our 3rd rounder. Dont want to touch Bush unless he's still there for Day2 (just too slow and soft).

mysticsoto
03-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Listening to his press conferene I thought two things:

1. The Bills would concentrate on the O-line in FA. They would spend money on one-two guys.
2. They would address LB in the draft.

I see either Siler or Willis in a Bills unifrom.

The only thing is that Willis is much faster than Siler. So if Okoye is not available...I'd say forget everything else and take Willis.

Mahdi
03-05-2007, 11:40 AM
There are many talented CBs in this draft but none of them are worth the 12th pick for a cover 2 team. We can just as easily wait till Rd 3 and pick up a very solid CB who has the skill set we need. However when it comes to Rbs. theres 2 clear cut players in the first round and both may fall to us.... therefore we should take the one that best matches our offense and thats Lynch. Then we will finally have our triplets again with JP, Evans and Lynch, and a great OL and good supporting cast, Reed, Price, Parrish and Royal who I believe has more pass catching ability then was shown last year. (especially that darn foot he couldnt manage to get in the endzone with 3 yards to spare)

Don't Panic
03-05-2007, 12:22 PM
McCargo was a 2nd rounder whom OBD got nervous about and traded up for. jury is still definitely out on whether he'll help... however, you're never going to find out unless he get's the chance. You know Marv liked him this time last year so he obviously still likes him now. That means there is little sense in drafting Okoye. I love the kid (how can't you?), don't get me wrong. However, he doesn't make sense for what we have on the roster so far. If he's still there at #12, trade down and take Simmons and pick up another day 1 pick. Then we cans ee what McCargo's made of and have a more adequate LB corp (regardless of what happens to Spikes) Cover 2-wise. if he flops, you know where to look, but he can't throw him out the door before you know what he's worth.

As for CB, I don't see it... we've talked about this - Marv has stated that they can get the CBs they need in round 3/4. Cover 2 CBs are not shut-down guys (that's why Nate is a 49er). If we deal McGahee and don't pick up a feature back somehow, then RB obviously gets a look. Otherwise, its going to be a LB.

bigbub2352
03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Yeah i think with the current youn potential we got locked up in Greer, Youboty, and Bassey, plus if Thomas is resigned, u cant take a CB in the 1st, or 2nd for that matter, RB and LB hands down should be what we are looking at

Bert102176
03-05-2007, 01:01 PM
even if we keep spikes I think it'll be a LB am hoping for Willis if not then I think they go RB regardless of if McGahee is here or not cause this is his contract year and no way the Bills and doubt anyone else will give McGahee what he thinks he is worth, remember he is the self proclaimed best back in the league and will want top of the line money, and no way is he worth that, but I guess with all the women he is getting pregnant he'll need as much as possible for child support.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-06-2007, 03:41 AM
News Flash: The Buffalo Bills have not addressed their weakness at DT in free agency.

While they do have sufficient bodies on their roster to fill a 4 man rotation at the 1-technique and 3-tech spots after tendering T.Anderson, they know that they need better personnel to improve their run defense. Still, they have not made a move in free agency to do that. Therefore:

If Okoye is still on the board at # 12, he is too good a talent for the Bills not to take to fill out their DT rotation. If Okoye has been selected, the Bills take P.Willis to play MLB and keep Crowell at OLB. Unless W.McGahee is traded, in which case, M.Lynch becomes the likeliest pick.

If the Bills take Okoye, they take the best available LB in Round 2 (Siler, Harris, Alexander, Everett, Timmons, Posluzny, etc.) and a CB in Round 3. If they trade McGahee and still take Okoye, their next pick would likely be a RB, then a LB, CB, WR, etc. If they take P.Willis because Okoye is gone, DT T.Tyler could be their 2nd Round pick or they could go for a CB. If they draft M.Lynch because they have traded McGahee, they would probably have to take a LB in Round 2--although Tyler could be an option there--with a DT (or if they take Tyler first, a LB) being taken with their next pick and a CB following in Round 3.

IMHO a lot will depend on whether McGahee is traded and whether Okoye is still on the board at # 12. This class of RBs is so thin that, if McGahee is traded, the Bills will be forced to go with a RB very early on--probably no later than with their second round pick--even if they sign a free agent RB (unless Jordan is released by Oakland and is that RB). As I see it, trading McGahee will have a huge impact on how the Bills will be able to approach the draft and what they will do on Day One.

Don't Panic
03-06-2007, 04:03 AM
OK, but if the Bills take Okoye, who between Triplett and McCargo sits? Which one to we give up on?

mysticsoto
03-06-2007, 08:11 AM
OK, but if the Bills take Okoye, who between Triplett and McCargo sits? Which one to we give up on?

Have you been sleeping in a cave for the last year? We have a rotational system for the DTs. All DTs get to play and rotate in so they are fresh. Which means we really don't have 2 starters, we have 4!!! Two for the 3-technique and two for the 1-gap technique. If you don't know what these are, there is a sticky thread above called Defensive Front Seven 101 which has alot of information!!!

Talk0fNewYork
03-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Willis

Don't Panic
03-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Have you been sleeping in a cave for the last year? We have a rotational system for the DTs. All DTs get to play and rotate in so they are fresh. Which means we really don't have 2 starters, we have 4!!! Two for the 3-technique and two for the 1-gap technique. If you don't know what these are, there is a sticky thread above called Defensive Front Seven 101 which has alot of information!!!

Let me explain it a little better for you before that vein in your forehead explodes and I have the guilt of your death on my conscience. Triplett is a big money signing, McCargo is LAST YEAR's 1st round draft pick. That seems, to me, to be two guys that we would want to have truly starting, not being the second guy in a rotation. In addition, we have Kyle Williams, who looked good last year, and Tim Anderson, who was just tendered. With those four in place, how much sense does it make to use the #12 pick overall on another DT? I know you've managed to make 4 DTs "starters" (which by that logic, makes the 4 DEs "starters" as well, since they are rotating. *****, man, we have 8 "starters" on the D line... its a wonder anyone can run against us!), but in reality, only two can get the majority of the snaps. So aside from having 5 DTs on our roster, the million dollar question is: which of McCargo, Okoye and Triplett miss out on half of the defensive snaps?

justasportsfan
03-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Let me explain it a little better for you before that vein in your forehead explodes and I have the guilt of your death on my conscience. Triplett is a big money signing, McCargo is LAST YEAR's 1st round draft pick. That seems, to me, to be two guys that we would want to have truly starting, not being the second guy in a rotation. In addition, we have Kyle Williams, who looked good last year, and Tim Anderson, who was just tendered. With those four in place, how much sense does it make to use the #12 pick overall on another DT? I know you've managed to make 4 DTs "starters" (which by that logic, makes the 4 DEs "starters" as well, since they are rotating. *****, man, we have 8 "starters" on the D line... its a wonder anyone can run against us!), but in reality, only two can get the majority of the snaps. So aside from having 5 DTs on our roster, the million dollar question is: which of McCargo, Okoye and Triplett miss out on half of the defensive snaps?

I agree except that Tim Anderson will eventually be cut and replaced. Right now, we don't lose anything by tendering but have something to gain in case someone is stupid enough to match our tender and give us a 3rd in return for him.

I doubt Marv spends no.1 $$$ on 3 DT's.

mysticsoto
03-06-2007, 10:32 AM

Not upset at all. It just seemed ignorant for you to not acknowledge the rotation system we are using. That being said, if we had 8 "starters" as you claim, we wouldn't need to address the Dline to begin with. Anderson has only been tendered and with a low offer. That was basically a "just in case". It doesn't mean we can't draft a better prospect to replace him...

It also means that if Okoye and Tripplett are better against the run, for example, they would get 1st downs and maybe most of the 2nds, while Kyle and McCargo might get more 3rd downs, etc.

But part of improving our run D will have to come from upgrading Tim Anderson and getting a good MLB, giving that we signed Kelsay for a longer term deal at the DE position!!!

TacklingDummy
03-06-2007, 10:36 AM
WR or RB if Willis is traded.

justasportsfan
03-06-2007, 10:42 AM
But part of improving our run D will have to come from upgrading Tim Anderson ,I agree but not with another 1st rd. pick. If we didn't sign Tripplett or draft Escargo , I can see it . If you grab another one with our first pick, someones bound to leave us for the same reason Tripplett left the colts.

LB with our 1st? Definitely possible if we don't get Briggs or June.

Philagape
03-06-2007, 10:44 AM
It's gotta be DT or LB.

Not CB, because CB isn't that important a position in our defense.

Not RB, because a productive RB can be found in later rounds or with a mid-level FA like Rhodes.

We need a stud LB who can be an anchor for years.

justasportsfan
03-06-2007, 10:51 AM
It's gotta be DT or LB.

Not CB, because CB isn't that important a position in our defense.

Not RB, because a productive RB can be found in later rounds or with a mid-level FA like Rhodes.

We need a stud LB who can be an anchor for years.
I agree with a stud lb, but not another middle of the road rb. That's what we've had all these years. We need a stud rb on O as much as we need a stud lb on D.

A stud lb will help the OL like a stud rb will help the qb. No more Antwan Smith's or Sammy Morris as our featured backs . No more untapped potential with off field problems that affect their on field performance like Willis and Henry.

Don't Panic
03-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Not upset at all. It just seemed ignorant for you to not acknowledge the rotation system we are using. That being said, if we had 8 "starters" as you claim, we wouldn't need to address the Dline to begin with. Anderson has only been tendered and with a low offer. That was basically a "just in case". It doesn't mean we can't draft a better prospect to replace him...

It also means that if Okoye and Tripplett are better against the run, for example, they would get 1st downs and maybe most of the 2nds, while Kyle and McCargo might get more 3rd downs, etc.

But part of improving our run D will have to come from upgrading Tim Anderson and getting a good MLB, giving that we signed Kelsay for a longer term deal at the DE position!!!

Remember... you called them starters. I was just using your definitions. As for McCargo, if we traded up into the first round to get a guy that will play 3rd down for us, then we must be pretty damn solid at every other position!

ShadowHawk7
03-06-2007, 10:53 AM
The better the D-Line the better the LB's (just like the O-line improving the RB, QB, TE's and WR's). I would take Okoye in a heart beat, makes the LB's and DB's better, plus since he is young and still growing he could cover either DT position.
Round 2 MLB Siler
Round 3 RB Pittman
Round 4 OLB Simpson
Man o man o man, if that happened, I would go nuts. That would be a spectacular draft.

GarnOFreak
03-06-2007, 10:53 AM
unless someone surprising falls into our laps(i.e the leinart situation last year) I definitely think (as of today...gosh it changes so quickly lately) that we will need to grab a LBer. If we trade TKO we will be down two starters at the position. Yes RB is a need, but there is a better chance to fill RB via FA.

djjimkelly
03-06-2007, 11:06 AM
i think CB LB or trade down but not too many spots.

bigbub2352
03-06-2007, 11:18 AM
I personally think that if TKO and McGahee is traded he trade out a few spots and get Lynch in the first round and see what LB is available in the 2nd

DraftBoy
03-06-2007, 11:18 AM
The only thing is that Willis is much faster than Siler. So if Okoye is not available...I'd say forget everything else and take Willis.

Combine Numbers:
Willis-
40-4.51
20-2.62
10-1.53
Bench-22
Vertical-39
Broad-9'11
Shuttle-4.46
Cone-7.23

Siler-
40-4.62
20-2.66
10-1.56
Bench-DNP
Vertical-30 1/2
Broad-9'1
Shuttle-DNP
Cone-7.34

The Spaz
03-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Combine Numbers:
Willis-
40-4.51
20-2.62
10-1.53
Bench-22
Vertical-39
Broad-9'11
Shuttle-4.46
Cone-7.23

Siler-
40-4.62
20-2.66
10-1.56
Bench-DNP
Vertical-30 1/2
Broad-9'1
Shuttle-DNP
Cone-7.34

So let's draft both!:dance: :respect:

mysticsoto
03-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Remember... you called them starters. I was just using your definitions. As for McCargo, if we traded up into the first round to get a guy that will play 3rd down for us, then we must be pretty damn solid at every other position!

Last year we were desperate at the DT position. This year, we are not so desperate in any position although the MLB position could use a stud. I am not saying 1st rd DT should be our only recourse, but Okoye and Siler/Harris would be a great 1st and 2nd rd draft!!!

If we don't get Okoye, and there is a strong probability we may not, I'd probably go for a Patrick Willis - 1st and maybe DeMarcus Tyler/Turk McBride in the 2nd or 3rd - though I don't think they would last to the 3rd. However, it bothers me that in both 1st and 2nd, we'd be reaching a bit. A trade down of a few spots would be better, but not always achievable. Personnelwise, I think these would be the best fits for us at this moment.

Don't Panic
03-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Last year we were desperate at the DT position. This year, we are not so desperate in any position although the MLB position could use a stud. I am not saying 1st rd DT should be our only recourse, but Okoye and Siler/Harris would be a great 1st and 2nd rd draft!!!

If we don't get Okoye, and there is a strong probability we may not, I'd probably go for a Patrick Willis - 1st and maybe DeMarcus Tyler/Turk McBride in the 2nd or 3rd - though I don't think they would last to the 3rd. However, it bothers me that in both 1st and 2nd, we'd be reaching a bit. A trade down of a few spots would be better, but not always achievable. Personnelwise, I think these would be the best fits for us at this moment.

I think its gotta be 2nd round or later for DT. Don't get me wrong, I am really impressed with Okoye. It just seems to be a misdiagnosis of priority, especially with Willis (like you said) sitting there. Plus, I don't know how much Siler and Harris really fit the system. I've read Siler isn't good at zone coverage, something that Defense 101 link you mentioned puts priority on (if we need more proof, look at Urlacher's comments about how his responsibilities changed in the new scheme) and Harris lacks top speed and also struggles in coverage. Willis is the only MLB in the draft that can step in and start from day one in our system. If we don't take him and don't like what's out there in FA, Crowell will almost certainly be our only option come training camp to start at MLB.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-07-2007, 03:57 AM
I think its gotta be 2nd round or later for DT. Don't get me wrong, I am really impressed with Okoye. It just seems to be a misdiagnosis of priority, especially with Willis (like you said) sitting there. Plus, I don't know how much Siler and Harris really fit the system. I've read Siler isn't good at zone coverage, something that Defense 101 link you mentioned puts priority on (if we need more proof, look at Urlacher's comments about how his responsibilities changed in the new scheme) and Harris lacks top speed and also struggles in coverage. Willis is the only MLB in the draft that can step in and start from day one in our system. If we don't take him and don't like what's out there in FA, Crowell will almost certainly be our only option come training camp to start at MLB.

Let me explain my reasons for taking Okoye if he is on the board at # 12 and why he fits:

Yes, Tripplett is a big signing and McCargo was a # 1 pick last year. And, with Anderson tendered, the Bills presently have the bodies to fill their 4 man DT rotation. But...

1.) Anderson has had three years to show that he can get the job done and hasn't. The Bills actually did better against the run when he didn't dress in their last game of the season than when he was in the lineup. Tendering him was a cheap, emergency move in case the Bills are unable to bring in a quality run-stopping DT this off-season. Anderson would provide competition for a mid-round DT draft pick if the Bills miss out on Branch, Okoye, Tyler and, perhaps, Mebane (I think the Bills would want to have Anderson compete with Mebane and any of the other rookie DTs who go after him before handing them a spot in their DT rotation). In short, Anderson is a cheap stop-gap who will cost little to cut from the roster.

2.) Okoye is 19 years old and is likely to need a little seasoning before he is ready to take on the majority of the snaps, regardless of the position that he plays (T.Harris also took a year to develop before becoming a dominant player as well). As a result, in his rookie season, Okoye will be an ideal candidate to play in a rotational system behind another more experienced player. Depending on whether the Bills feel that Okoye or McCargo will be better suited to play the 1-tech DT spot, Okoye--who has been compared to T.Harris--will play behind either K.Williams or L.Tripplett until he shows that he is ready to assume the starting role. In either case, once Okoye takes over as the starter, the Bills will have a quality back-up in their rotation behind him.

3.) While McCargo has the talent to develop into a top-flight DT in the NFL, with the injuries that he has had to his foot, he may prove to be a player who is very good when he is on the field, but is brittle and apt to miss time with injuries at times. In which case, having Okoye, who has the ability to play both DT spots, would mean that the Bills would still be able to field a quality 3-man DT rotation should McCargo be forced to miss time again due to injury. With both McCargo and Okoye being big enough to be able to play the 1-tech spot and quick and fast enough to play the 3-tech spot, the two of them could raise havoc with the interior offensive lines of opposing teams as they mature and blossom as players and make the Bills defense one that would be feared and formidable.

4.) Larry Tripplett has a "big-money" contract, but, the way the salaries are going in the NFL these days and will continue to go in the next couple of years as the salary cap goes up $ 7 million each year, his contract isn't that big. If the Bills draft Okoye, Tripplett will still be the starting 3-tech DT this season if the Bills decide to play Okoye at the 3-tech spot as the 19 year old rookie develops. The same would be true, at least at the beginning of the season, if the Bills put Okoye at the 1-tech spot and keep McCargo at the 3-tech because, with his injury prematurely ending his season last year, McCargo is still inexperienced and needs to develop some more before he would be ready to beat out Tripplett for the starter's job. So, either way, Tripplett would be earning his "big money" as a starter this season. While I'm not sure how long Tripplett is signed for, with the Bills getting two years out of him as a starter, once either Okoye or McCargo supplants him in the starting lineup, he would still give the Bills a quality playing coming off the bench to rotate with their starter--which would make their defense stronger and less vulnerable than it would be if they were rotating in a lesser player--which would make the interior of their defense better overall and serve as insurance in case McCargo were to miss playing time. Or, after another year or two, the Bills could ask Tripplett to re-structure his contract downward based on the fact that he is no longer starting. Or, if worse were to come to worse, they could trade or release him if they needed to in order to open up salary cap room. By 2008, who knows what the going rate for a decent 3-tech DT with starting experience will be? Tripplett's "big money" contract could be a bargain by then (it probably will be), which would make him attractive to other teams who might be looking for a player at that position (see Corey Simon last year).

If the 19 year old Okoye develops into another Tommie Harris or Warren Sapp in a year or two as he develops, it won't matter if the Bills have invested a # 1 draft pick and money in McCargo and Tripplett as well. If McCargo stays healthy and develops into a good player also, the Bills will have a fearsome interior defensive line--the kind that could propel the team to a Super Bowl victory--and they can keep, trade or release Tripplett. If McCargo develops into a good player whose injury problems have him in and out of the lineup, Okoye's versatility and having Tripplett around would allow their defense not to be substantially hurt when McCargo is out of the lineup.

In the short term it might seem like the Bills will have a lot of money, etc. tied up in their two DT positions, but in the long term that investment could very well produce a big return. There is no real downside to drafting Okoye (as opposed to any other player that they might draft at # 12) if he is still on the board in this draft which is deep at LB, CB and WR, after the Bills hae shored up their offensive line the way that they have. Yes, the Bills could really use a MLB like P.Willis (my choice to be the pick if Okoye is gone already by # 12), but they seem intent on moving Crowell to MLB and the Bills should be able to pick up a quality OLB (or even a MLB like Siler or Harris) in Round 2. And, if the Bills trade Willis McGahee, M.Lynch would be quite attractive as his replacement (and might end up actually being the pick)--but, having shored up their offensive line as much as they have, the Bills might be better off drafting either M.Bush or K.Irons and pairing him with a mid-range FA RB this season and waiting to the guy who will be their "franchise" back next year when there are likely to be several equally attractive or even better RBs available (M.Hart, the two RBs from Arkansas, S.Slaton, Davis from Clemson, I.Johnson, etc.).

Drafting Okoye may leave some holes in the lineup this year, but the Bills are going to be fighting for a playoff berth (if they can improve their run defense) not contending for a SB ring this season. But, it could give them the kind of defensive front the year after and down the road that would put them in a position, once those other holes are filled next offseason, to seriously contend for a SB title for years to come.

Don't Panic
03-07-2007, 04:46 AM
Let me explain my reasons for taking Okoye if he is on the board at # 12 and why he fits...

Well stated, but there are a couple of things that deserve mention. First off, the fact that we may have two of our last three 1st round draft picks playing a back-up role - even if it is short term - at the same position, shows poor planning. Okoye may need it for a while, but if McCargo is not ready to start this year, then he was a wasted pick (to be honest, this is where a lot of my feelings start and end on this subject since I haven't liked trading up for him since we did it... if we don't trade up for him, I'm shoving you out of the way to go to the front of the Okoye bandwagon). Unless they are QBs, 1st rounders need to be starting in year two.

Also, I think there is a downside to drafting a position that is not in as desperate shape as other areas of your team. As of today, we are banking on success out of Crowell at MLB, a position that he hasn't played since college, Ellison, a late round pick from last year who looked good, but may not be ready just yet, and Spikes, who is still one of my favorite Bills ever, but clearly is not the player he was pre-injury. That's three red flags (well, one orange and two red) at the LB spot. That's why its hard for me to say there's no downside to drafting Okoye. We simply have too many other needs at other positions. As for the depth at LB argument, I disagree. Siler and Harris don't have the coverage skills to be Tampa 2 guys, at least not from day one. You could make the argument for Poz (if he's there) in the 2nd, but there aren't many other guys ready to step in and be productive from day one. I've even soured on Timmons as of late. Willis is a quality player who fills a need position. He steps right in and anchors the MLB spot, allowing Crowell to play OLB and Spikes/Ellison to "fight it out" at the other spot. NOW we're contending for a playoff position, not top-heavy at one position while pretty weak at another.

By the way, if Okoye is wowing them like they say he is, he probably won't be there at #12 anyway.

mysticsoto
03-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Well stated, but there are a couple of things that deserve mention. First off, the fact that we may have two of our last three 1st round draft picks playing a back-up role - even if it is short term - at the same position, shows poor planning. Okoye may need it for a while, but if McCargo is not ready to start this year, then he was a wasted pick (to be honest, this is where a lot of my feelings start and end on this subject since I haven't liked trading up for him since we did it... if we don't trade up for him, I'm shoving you out of the way to go to the front of the Okoye bandwagon). Unless they are QBs, 1st rounders need to be starting in year two.

Also, I think there is a downside to drafting a position that is not in as desperate shape as other areas of your team. As of today, we are banking on success out of Crowell at MLB, a position that he hasn't played since college, Ellison, a late round pick from last year who looked good, but may not be ready just yet, and Spikes, who is still one of my favorite Bills ever, but clearly is not the player he was pre-injury. That's three red flags (well, one orange and two red) at the LB spot. That's why its hard for me to say there's no downside to drafting Okoye. We simply have too many other needs at other positions. As for the depth at LB argument, I disagree. Siler and Harris don't have the coverage skills to be Tampa 2 guys, at least not from day one. You could make the argument for Poz (if he's there) in the 2nd, but there aren't many other guys ready to step in and be productive from day one. I've even soured on Timmons as of late. Willis is a quality player who fills a need position. He steps right in and anchors the MLB spot, allowing Crowell to play OLB and Spikes/Ellison to "fight it out" at the other spot. NOW we're contending for a playoff position, not top-heavy at one position while pretty weak at another.

By the way, if Okoye is wowing them like they say he is, he probably won't be there at #12 anyway.

LTBF, we are on the same page...as usual! Your rationalizations are the same ones that I've come up with and why I think Okoye should be drafted.

Bwbrenton, I want to address a few things from your post - I don't subscribe to the thinking that just b'cse we drafted a certain position last year, we can't do so again. If there is a need and an exemplary player emerges, we go with it. I don't care that McCargo was a #1 pick that we might have reached for. If we draft Okoye and toward the middle/end of the season or even next year, we develop a fearsome DL like Chicago had before Tommie Harris got injured...does it matter when we got them? Nobody is going to care! Understand that the "weakness" of a typical cover 2 scheme is stopping the run. If we got a fearsome DL that could wreak havoc to other teams and not be able to run on us, then they have to resort to the pass. Which means they have to resort to our strength and we all know how turnovers increased last year and how easily we won games when teams fell behind last year and had to pass on us.

Now, will Okoye do that for us? Unknown, but I do know this, Okoye is an INSTANT upgrade over Anderson, even as a raw rookie!!! Okoye is stout against the run and much, much faster than Anderson. As he gets stronger and older, it is expected that the other pieces of what we need a DT to do (shedding tackles, etc) will be added to his arsenal.

Overall, Okoye would improve our run and pass D incredibly. And while I would love to have a Patrick Willis (and he's definitely a good consolation prize if Okoye is not available), there are some decent MLBs in David Harris or Brandon Siler that will be decent pickups in the 2nd rd and still likely start for us!

Don't Panic
03-07-2007, 09:15 AM
LTBF, we are on the same page...as usual! Your rationalizations are the same ones that I've come up with and why I think Okoye should be drafted.

Bwbrenton, I want to address a few things from your post - I don't subscribe to the thinking that just b'cse we drafted a certain position last year, we can't do so again. If there is a need and an exemplary player emerges, we go with it. I don't care that McCargo was a #1 pick that we might have reached for. If we draft Okoye and toward the middle/end of the season or even next year, we develop a fearsome DL like Chicago had before Tommie Harris got injured...does it matter when we got them? Nobody is going to care! Understand that the "weakness" of a typical cover 2 scheme is stopping the run. If we got a fearsome DL that could wreak havoc to other teams and not be able to run on us, then they have to resort to the pass. Which means they have to resort to our strength and we all know how turnovers increased last year and how easily we won games when teams fell behind last year and had to pass on us.

Now, will Okoye do that for us? Unknown, but I do know this, Okoye is an INSTANT upgrade over Anderson, even as a raw rookie!!! Okoye is stout against the run and much, much faster than Anderson. As he gets stronger and older, it is expected that the other pieces of what we need a DT to do (shedding tackles, etc) will be added to his arsenal.

Overall, Okoye would improve our run and pass D incredibly. And while I would love to have a Patrick Willis (and he's definitely a good consolation prize if Okoye is not available), there are some decent MLBs in David Harris or Brandon Siler that will be decent pickups in the 2nd rd and still likely start for us!

I agree about the D Line... it would be great to have a dominant one that crushed the run and gave ample penetration. Like I said before, though - I think the LB corp needs more attention and that guys like Siler and Harris aren't going to get it done.