X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Bomber
    • Jul 2002

Langston Walker

Get NFL news, scores, stats, standings & more for your favorite teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

"There are a few NFL teams wondering how can Bills owner Ralph Wilson continue to complain about his small-market stature and his desperate need for revenue sharing after his team pays two offensive linemen, Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery, a total of $70 million. Walker, who would have been paid the minimum by many NFL teams, received a $10 million signing bonus from the Bills.

Dockery is a very good run blocker, but Walker, a right tackle, was a full-time starter on an offensive line that allowed 72 quarterback sacks last season."

Dockery seems like a good, albeit expensive, pickup. I don't follow the Raiders and haven't really seen Walker play. What are your thoughts on this guy (especially at $10MM)?
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Re: Langston Walker

Paid the minimum? Not so sure about that! Starting RTs (even from the Raiders) are rarely paid the minimum. I'm hoping that the numbers we've been given are a little high, but the minimum is ridiculous.

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

In Marv we trust.

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

once again someone underestimates the wiley mr ralph

woa to foxsports because here what yer fate be:
        Attached Files
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• RockStar36
          Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
          • Sep 2004

He did start on the worst o-line last year but I have a hard time believing it was all this fault. I only saw a few Raider games but the few I did see involved the entire line collapsing. That whole offense was bad last year. I'll trust Marv and Dick on this one until I can make my own judgement.

D & S Sports

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Very little of what you read about the guy is positive.. My feeling is Walker is a guy that McNally sees something in, his size and athleticism being the main things, and feels he can teach & get a lot more out of him than the Raiders did.

It's definitely a risk, but now that we have a front office that is actually giving McNally some players that he covets, I think its a very educated risk worth taking. There's a reason McNally was successful in his other NFL gigs, and 'not so much' under Donohoe.

I also think he gets a mulligan for last year, I mean top to bottom the Raiders were just horribly coached - and the ENTIRE oline was horrid. And if there's one group of guys who's play, good or bad, affects the play of guys around them, its the oline.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

I look at it this way- we have Pennington who lacks experience and Walker, who may not be the greatest in the world. But they'll be competing for the position and one or both will step up to the competition. And it gives us good depth.

I will say that I'll be disappointed if we spent $10 million on a guy who rides the pine, but hopefully if that happens it will be because Pennington stepped it up and not because Walker sucks.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

To me its three players competing for two spots kinda....

Langston Walker is a natural OG and played much better there than when forced outside, he is not built to be a great RT and handle the end speed rush. I dont see him playing RT for us either imo. We took both Brad Butler and Pennington last year and I think they both will get their shot at this spot. IMO an early OL starting lineup for me is;

LT-Peters
                LG-Dockery
                OC-Fowler
                RG-Walker
                RT-Butler

A guy Id like to look at also is OC Al Johnson from Dallas, he'd be an upgrade over Fowler.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                  To me its three players competing for two spots kinda....

Langston Walker is a natural OG and played much better there than when forced outside, he is not built to be a great RT and handle the end speed rush. I dont see him playing RT for us either imo. We took both Brad Butler and Pennington last year and I think they both will get their shot at this spot. IMO an early OL starting lineup for me is;

LT-Peters
                  LG-Dockery
                  OC-Fowler
                  RG-Walker
                  RT-Butler

A guy Id like to look at also is OC Al Johnson from Dallas, he'd be an upgrade over Fowler.
                  I think you nailed it on the head DB. If I were to bet money today, I'd probably say that Walker is intended to play RT. But you're right, I think the best scenario would be for either Butler or Pennington to step up and win the RT position, and then play Walker at RG.
                  Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Talk0fNewYork
                    ~ I Can't Feel My Face ~
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Meathead
                    once again someone underestimates the wiley mr ralph

woa to foxsports because here what yer fate be:
                    Ralph's a Beast!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

I believe Walker allowed 10 sacks. The other 62 had to come form somewhere. When a line is this bad even Peters would look bad playing there. I don't think the Bills are that dumb. They saw or knew something.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

I read something today in an article that said Raider backs ran for the ninth most yards behind the right tackle last year. Thus, I think a lot of people are selling Langston's run blocking skills short. He needs work in protecting the QB, and I'm confident Mouse will do well with the guy in that area. He'll be fine.

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
                          http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6527842

"There are a few NFL teams wondering how can Bills owner Ralph Wilson continue to complain about his small-market stature and his desperate need for revenue sharing after his team pays two offensive linemen, Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery, a total of $70 million. Walker, who would have been paid the minimum by many NFL teams, received a $10 million signing bonus from the Bills.

Dockery is a very good run blocker, but Walker, a right tackle, was a full-time starter on an offensive line that allowed 72 quarterback sacks last season."

Dockery seems like a good, albeit expensive, pickup. I don't follow the Raiders and haven't really seen Walker play. What are your thoughts on this guy (especially at $10MM)?
                          I just got back from vacation and found out about the various Bills signings. Dockery makes lots of sense as an upgraded starter and Whittle makes tons of sense as an experienced low cost back-up.

Walker does not seem to make alot of sense. Hopefully he proves me wrong but I would have rather they spent the money on another sure-fire starter at guard.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Please, for the love of pete, put Walker inside. Please.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Romes
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                              I believe Walker allowed 10 sacks. The other 62 had to come form somewhere. When a line is this bad even Peters would look bad playing there. I don't think the Bills are that dumb. They saw or knew something.
                              Good point I did some research on the raiders OL last year by looking at some old articles that were written. OK, so Walker led the raiders in sacks allowed but he was also the only o-lineman to start all 16 games for the Raiders. The other 4 spots then averaged over 15 sacks allowed.

By most accounts Walker had trouble with speed rushers around the corner but if he gets put inside he shouldn't have that problem.

Also, there were a few articles about how Shell implemented an old, outdated blocking scheme that the players struggled to implement.

We probably "overpaid" for Walker, but in the right system with good coaching this could be a good fit.
                              Originally posted by paladin warrior
                              RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

Working...
                              X