PDA

View Full Version : Guys stop comparing This years contracts to any other previous years

THATHURMANATOR
03-05-2007, 12:57 PM
The cap has risen and the contracts are much higher.

Captain_Obvious
03-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Very well said :up:

OpIv37
03-05-2007, 12:59 PM
once again, someone is missing the point.

If the cap (and thus contracts) keep rising at this pace, the Bills and several other teams like the Bengals and the Jaguars will be priced right out of the NFL.

THATHURMANATOR
03-05-2007, 01:01 PM
once again, someone is missing the point.

If the cap (and thus contracts) keep rising at this pace, the Bills and several other teams like the Bengals and the Jaguars will be priced right out of the NFL.
Why? The TV revenue is also rising.

OpIv37
03-05-2007, 01:01 PM
oh, and the availability of money does not necessarily make a player worth that much money. if Bill Gates wants to buy a Toyota, he doesn't have to pay Porshe money for it just because he can afford to pay Porsche money for it.

OpIv37
03-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Why? The TV revenue is also rising.

because player salaries are rising MUCH faster than TV revenue.

THATHURMANATOR
Plus the thread is mentioning not to compare salaries to previous years. It doesnt have anything to do with Teams long term viability. Why did you even bring it up?

feelthepain

Is that a good excuse to overpay?? I realize teams need to upgrade, but couldn't you sign second tier FA's and upgrade through the draft and do just aswell?? This draft is deep at the G position, couldn't you have saved the money you spent on G and T and used it on say...A.Thomas?? Your Defense needs serious help too, especially the front 7.

THATHURMANATOR
03-05-2007, 01:03 PM
because player salaries are rising MUCH faster than TV revenue.
Are they?

I am under the impression that the cap rises as revenues rise?

THATHURMANATOR
03-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Is that a good excuse to overpay?? I realize teams need to upgrade, but couldn't you sign second tier FA's and upgrade through the draft and do just aswell??
LOL. If they had done that people would be complaining they took the cheap route. I don't think they overpaid at all.

OpIv37
03-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Is that a good excuse to overpay?? I realize teams need to upgrade, but couldn't you sign second tier FA's and upgrade through the draft and do just aswell??

oh, we've tried the second tier approach. It got us the likes of Tutan Reyes, Matt Bowens, Bennie Anderson, Robert Royal, Courtney Watson, Aaron Gibson.....

In order to be successful, teams need to spend money, but they need to spend it wisely. Paying lots of money for a Peyton Manning or an Antonio Gates or a Julius Peppers helps teams. Paying lots of money for guys who don't do jack **** (like the Skins with Lavar Arrington and Adam Archuleta) is how teams get in trouble.

feelthepain
03-05-2007, 01:51 PM
oh, we've tried the second tier approach. It got us the likes of Tutan Reyes, Matt Bowens, Bennie Anderson, Robert Royal, Courtney Watson, Aaron Gibson.....

In order to be successful, teams need to spend money, but they need to spend it wisely. Paying lots of money for a Peyton Manning or an Antonio Gates or a Julius Peppers helps teams. Paying lots of money for guys who don't do jack **** (like the Skins with Lavar Arrington and Adam Archuleta) is how teams get in trouble.

Did the Bills improve last year?? Did they have success with their rookies?? Yes to both. The second tier isn't ment to find superstars it's ment to suppliment till your drafting has a chance to grow. I'm not saying don't spend during FA, just spend wisely. Like I said I think Dockery is an up-grade although not a huge one, he was far more expensive then his ability. It's one thing to pay big bucks for talent like A.Thomas, it's another to pay big bucks for someone that doesn't deserve a big contract.

The Redskins let Dockery go because the draft is deep at the Gaurd position and they'll get younger and Cheaper and will have no fall off in talent, cause the G group is talented in the draft....it's a no brainer! The Bills also give 25 Mill to a tackle that would have gotten far far less then that from the team he's leaving. Altogether 70 mill for two players that don't even know what a Probolw is??? That doesn't seem to be a bit over the top to you??

Earthquake Enyart
03-05-2007, 01:54 PM
How did Bennie Anderson work out for you?

DraftBoy
03-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Here is my question, contracts on the rise and the cap is rising too, but it will not rise to an infinite amount, eventually the NFL will have to ceiling it. What happens then? And when does that happen? Will the players contracts come down? I honestly dont know the answer, but I cant see this trend continuing for a long time.

OpIv37
03-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Did the Bills improve last year?? Did they have success with their rookies?? Yes to both. The second tier isn't ment to find superstars it's ment to suppliment till your drafting has a chance to grow. I'm not saying don't spend during FA, just spend wisely. Like I said I think Dockery is an up-grade although not a huge one, he was far more expensive then his ability. It's one thing to pay big bucks for talent like A.Thomas, it's another to pay big bucks for someone that doesn't deserve a big contract.

The Redskins let Dockery go because the draft is deep at the Gaurd position and they'll get younger and Cheaper and will have no fall off in talent, cause the G group is talented in the draft....it's a no brainer! The Bills also give 25 Mill to a tackle that would have gotten far far less then that from the team he's leaving. Altogether 70 mill for two players that don't even know what a Probolw is??? That doesn't seem to be a bit over the top to you??

it does seem over the top, but our FO picked the guys they wanted and did what they had to in order to get them. We just have to hope they picked the right guys- if they play well enough and help move this team from mediocrity to playoff contender, no one will care how much they make.

As far as getting younger, we already have some young talent on the OL in Preston, Pennington and Butler. We need vet experience, and we have other needs to fill in the draft. So, while letting Dockery go may have been the right move for the Skins, signing him seems to be the right move for the Bills.

feelthepain
03-05-2007, 02:05 PM
How did Bennie Anderson work out for you?

We had no choice we had injuries, and he was avalible.

justasportsfan
03-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Is that a good excuse to overpay?? . the fins overpaid for a cripple with midget sized hands.

None of the fins OL would even be a back up on the bills.

feelthepain
03-05-2007, 02:11 PM
it does seem over the top, but our FO picked the guys they wanted and did what they had to in order to get them. We just have to hope they picked the right guys- if they play well enough and help move this team from mediocrity to playoff contender, no one will care how much they make.

As far as getting younger, we already have some young talent on the OL in Preston, Pennington and Butler. We need vet experience, and we have other needs to fill in the draft. So, while letting Dockery go may have been the right move for the Skins, signing him seems to be the right move for the Bills.

I guess we'll see, but I have to say as a Bill fan seeing the improvements your O made in the second half of the season on O. I'd a been a little happier the see A.Thomas, especially since your losses so far have been on the D side of the ball. Thomas would have gone a long ways in shoring up your inept run D, plus his contract would have been far more justifiable.

OpIv37
03-05-2007, 02:14 PM
I guess we'll see, but I have to say as a Bill fan seeing the improvements your O made in the second half of the season on O. I'd a been a little happier the see A.Thomas, especially since your losses so far have been on the D side of the ball. Thomas would have gone a long ways in shoring up your inept run D, plus his contract would have been far more justifiable.

I would have liked to have gotten Thomas too, especially considering where he ended up..... :puke:

LtBillsFan66
03-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Ralph has to stop being so generous with his money.

BillsFever21
03-05-2007, 05:31 PM

Even over last season? Gimmie a break. So you're saying that in 1 year a guy like Derrick Dockery is worth as much as Steve Hutchinson because of inflation? OK.

feelthepain
03-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Even over last season? Gimmie a break. So you're saying that in 1 year a guy like Derrick Dockery is worth as much as Steve Hutchinson because of inflation? OK.

More common sense....I'm hearing the twlight zone theme!!

!Papacrunk!
03-06-2007, 06:30 AM

Exactly. The Browns, Bills, Chargers, 49ers, and Cowboys are paying average to above average players superstar money. The problem with that is that it's really driving up the market price for players that don't deserve such a huge pay day, also making established ProBowl/superstar players think they need even more $$$ themselves ----"well if so and so is getting this much, I should at least receive double of that." I'm scared what some future contracts will be like, no matter how much higher the salary cap has been increased. WAY TOO MUCH MONEY IS BEING GIVEN FOR POTENTIAL.*Credit to Profootballtalk for the sentiment and similar idea in one of their recent articles.