PDA

View Full Version : How about McGahee for Briggs, straight up?

Ron Burgundy
03-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Briggs to Bears: Pay me or trade me

Lance Briggs wants out — either from the Bears' franchise tag or from the organization. He told that to ESPN.com then reiterated it Monday on Mike North's show on WSCR-AM (670). Briggs is upset with the franchise tag that will pay him the average of the five highest-paid linebackers in the league, which will come out to about $7.2 million next season.

After telling ESPN.com's Len Pasquarellli he loves the Bears' coaches, players and fans, Briggs added: "But the Chicago Bears organization? I don't want to be there anymore. I won't play for them and I'll do everything in my power to keep from playing there."

more...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/283643,briggs030507.article

=================

Willis is not a Levy-type guy, but he's a very talented young running back who still has loads of potential. Lance is a proven monster at linebacker, who is also young and has experience in the defense that we run. Given that Lance is very unhappy with the Bears organization and that the Bears just traded Thomas Jones, wouldn't it make sense for Chicago to both get rid of a malcontent and shore up their running back position? In return, we create a large hole at running back, but we gain a tremendous defensive talent.

I seriously doubt that this is going to happen, but I think it would make sense for both teams.

Yasgur's Farm
03-05-2007, 06:13 PM
In a heartbeat... I'd throw in Spikes for good measure.

camelcowboy
03-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Chicago will be shoping for a running back or a linebacker in the draft. This will affect the bills strategy for drafting in the first round.

McBFLO
03-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I wish, but yeah right! Plus, do we have the cap space for the contract he'd want?

Yasgur's Farm
03-05-2007, 06:22 PM
We have cap space but not cash to cap.

Saratoga Slim
03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
I wish, but yeah right! Plus, do we have the cap space for the contract he'd want?

that's the problem. If I recall, McGahee's going to make about 2M this year, while Briggs will make 7M or so with the franchise tag. We might (ask Clump) be able to afford to pay Briggs his franchise tag salary, but I don't think it would be possible to give him the new deal he wants

Ron Burgundy
03-05-2007, 06:40 PM
that's the problem. If I recall, McGahee's going to make about 2M this year, while Briggs will make 7M or so with the franchise tag. We might (ask Clump) be able to afford to pay Briggs his franchise tag salary, but I don't think it would be possible to give him the new deal he wants

Oh, financially, it could happen. We might have to push that weird "cash to cap" thing a little, but it could be done, and should be in order to secure a guy like Briggs.

RedEyE
03-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Well if the Bears agreed to trade him, the tag falls off (if I'm not mistaken). So technically, the Bills, Bears and Briggs would all have to collabarate a contract that works for him. It can be done, and if he wants out that bad, the Bears could do worse then McGahee.

What is it with the organization that he doesn't like?

Elminster
03-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Well if the Bears agreed to trade him, the tag falls off (if I'm not mistaken). So technically, the Bills, Bears and Briggs would all have to collabarate a contract that works for him. It can be done, and if he wants out that bad, the Bears could do worse then McGahee.

What is it with the organization that he doesn't like?
He seems disillusioned with them not giving him a long-term contract and cheaping out on Ron Rivera....

Jersey1031
03-05-2007, 07:04 PM
The Bears would never do that trade, they have Benson. The Thomas Jones trade shows that the Bears are finally ready to start Benson...

acattack15
03-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Takeo for Briggs.

Both teams get what they want, we get rid of older Takeo for a younger Briggs, and bears get another solid LB to take the place of Briggs who doesnt want to be there. arent the contracts similar to, maybe add another player or high draft pick.

gr8slayer
03-05-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't know if we could pay Briggs what he wants though.

MTBillsFan
03-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Hey, If I was GM, I'd throw in Spikes

we can only wish right?

ddaryl
03-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Takeo for Briggs.

Both teams get what they want, we get rid of older Takeo for a younger Briggs, and bears get another solid LB to take the place of Briggs who doesnt want to be there. arent the contracts similar to, maybe add another player or high draft pick.

Spikes is damaged goods. His achilles heal injury would keep this one from ever happening straight up.

Mcgahee and Spikes for Briggs might have a chance, but I would think we'd have to pony up a pick as well to land Briggs.

YardRat
03-05-2007, 07:42 PM
If it were feasible, I'd pull the trigger.

RedEyE
03-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Is Spikes really damaged goods? I mean he did just come off a pretty serious achilles tear but I imagine this season (a contract year) he pulls it all together and shows signs of being healthy once again.

camelcowboy
03-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Is Spikes really damaged goods? I mean he did just come off a pretty serious achilles tear but I imagine this season (a contract year) he pulls it all together and shows signs of being healthy once again.

He came on strong at the end of the year, especially against baltimore

gr8slayer
03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
How about McGahee for Briggs and exchange first round picks?

Mitchy moo
03-05-2007, 09:05 PM
How about McGahee for Briggs and exchange first round picks?

That might fly but then we have a potential malcontent back on the team.

Kenny
03-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Why would the Bears do this trade? Has everyone forgot they just spent the #4 overall a few years ago on a running back?
There's a reason there letting Thomas Jones go... and his name is Cedric Benson.
There absolutely no reason to waste money/or a player on Willis from Chicago's standpoint.

Forward_Lateral
03-05-2007, 09:10 PM
The only way Briggs is traded to the Bills is for the Bills' first round pick, minimum.

Bert102176
03-05-2007, 09:42 PM
The Bears think that Benson is the guy, they won't want McGahee