X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Want to win a championship? Stockpile comp picks

Go ahead, sign my free-agent linebacker. The running back, too. Pay them outrageous contracts and then make sure they put up big numbers next season.

And, no, we're not interested in playing the free-agent game and bringing in another team's discards. We'll stand pat.

If these statements came from an NFL front office, the team in question might face boycotts, riots and even the wraths of NFL experts ranging from Rush Limbaugh to Willie Brown.

Hidden in the statements, however, might be true genius.

See, teams that lose free agents and don't replace them with other teams' free agents are awarded compensatory draft picks by the NFL. And though those picks are an afterthought in most analyses of how teams are built, comp picks might have a lot more to say about tomorrow's Super Bowls than free agents.

• Luisito23
    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
    • Apr 2003

Re: Want to win a championship? Stockpile comp picks

Pretty good article...Thanx Spaz.........

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

Re: Want to win a championship? Stockpile comp picks

Good read... hopefully we get a 3rd and a 4th for Nate and Fletch. Still, I don't see this as being the centerpiece to a blueprint for success. its a nice compliment, but the bottom line is that your own 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks have to be hits. That's how you win a championship.

Comment

Working...
      X