PDA

View Full Version : Why Minnesota and/or Kelsay stops us from Anderson

patmoran2006
03-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Far fetched (relatively) I admit. But I been compiling my mocks lately since FA started, and I dont know, but I THINK that we might've had Jamal Anderson fall into our laps at 12-- which now that we signed that jerkoff Kelsay, we wouldnt take.

1- Raiders (Russel)
2- Lions (quinn)
3- Browns (Peterson)
4- Bucs (Calvin Johnson)
5- Arizona (joe thomas)
6- Washington (Gaines adams)
7 - Minnesota (Ginn)
8- Houston (levi brown)
9- Miami (alan branch)
10- Atlanta (landry)
11- SF (Okoye)

12- Buffalo.
* Minnesota is the key.. If they go WR with GInn, a good possiblity, I think that it makes Jamal Anderson as the guy with top 10 talent that slides down to Buffalo at 12.

But after investing all that money in Kelsay, not to mention tendering Hargrove and already having Schobel and Denney, it makes it near impossible for Levy to spend the 12th pick on a DE, even if is a blue-chip prospect.

I absolutely f'n hate that.. Just as with the offense, we were not going to ever be a better unit until we could run the ball.. Dockery and Walker will hopefully change that.

Defensively, its the same.. We're not going to be good until we can stop the run. Our DL is weak against the run, and I"m pretty depressed to see we have the same top 8 DL back in the fold... again for this year.

If Jamal Anderson is on the board and we have to pass him because of a bad FA signing, that's really going to suck.

So at this point, if by chance my Top 11 mock is right, that almost certainly means we will take Patrick Willis.. I like him a lot, but there are other good LBs near the end of 1st, first half of 2nd.. and Jamal Anderson is going to be a major player in the NFL that we're pretty much forced to pass on.

(If Minny ended up deciding to go defense and took Anderson- def possibility, then I think Willis is the clear-cut choice.. Either way at the end of the day, unless something weird changes in FA, I think Patrick Willis is going to be our pick)

YardRat
03-06-2007, 05:35 PM
We can still cut Denney.

Dr. Lecter
03-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Since we need a LB and Marv has hinted at drafting a LB, I doubt Anderson would have been that pick regardless.

That is why Kelsay is not a bad deal. The Bills need LB's too. And maybe a RB. And a CB.

Jan Reimers
03-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Since we need a LB and Marv has hinted at drafting a LB, I doubt Anderson would have been that pick regardless.

That is why Kelsay is not a bad deal. The Bills need LB's too. And maybe a RB. And a CB.
I agree. I think Schobel, Kelsay, Denney and Hargrove are a nice corps of DEs. We need WAY more help at LB, and somewhat more at CB, RB, WR and DT.

patmoran2006
03-06-2007, 05:50 PM

alright.. Maybe my assessment of Kelsay is harsh, there are definitely worse DE's in the NFL. And a person he is a good team player; he works hard, he doesnt take plays off and he's well liked in the locker room.

But the problem with this defense, as its been with the offense for years, is up front. We've had plenty of great LB's (Bennett, Conlan, Paup, Fletcher, Spikes, Spielman just to name a few)

But the only time this defense has been dominant is when we've had a dominant DL up front. When Ted Wasington and Pat Williams were the DT's, we were dominant. Same with Sam Adams. Phil Hansen was underated and was one hell of a two-way DE. And of course, Bruce Smith.

Jamal Anderson is a blue chipper, and I hear tons of comparisons go guys like Will Smith.;

Kelsay is simply weak against the run, and the best thing this defense could do to make them better is find a better DE that's not only good pass rushing. Its even more important than LB IMO.

There's a decent chance he's not even on the board anyway, but I'm most upset that Levy was satisfied with our DL from last year; because even if not ANderson; then Carriker or Johnson would've been great additions to our front four over Kelsay.

EDS
03-06-2007, 06:06 PM
In the Bills system, can't Carriker play DT? He is already 290+ and adding weight to his 6'5" frame should not be a problem.

The biggest problem I see is that if the team dumps TKO the defense is in danger of being dangerously young.

patmoran2006
03-06-2007, 06:09 PM
maybe we'll get lucky and Okoye will drop to us..

I dont care if we already have Tripplett, Williams and McCargo.. If Okoye is on the board Marv will run his ass up to the podium himself.

This guy is a BEAST.. They would go from having an average DT rotation to one of the game's best within one year.

DraftBoy
03-06-2007, 06:15 PM
1- Raiders (Russel)
2- Lions (quinn)
3- Browns (Peterson)
4- Bucs (Calvin Johnson)
5- Arizona (joe thomas)
6- Washington (Gaines adams)
7 - Minnesota (Ginn)
8- Houston (levi brown)
9- Miami (alan branch)
10- Atlanta (landry)
11- SF (Okoye)

12- Buffalo.
* Minnesota is the key.. If they go WR with GInn, a good possiblity, I think that it makes Jamal Anderson as the guy with top 10 talent that slides down to Buffalo at 12.

Here are my issues;

I know the press like Quinn at 2, but Matt Millen is unpredictable and I think he goes with the sensible pick of Joe Thomas. Arizona then takes Gaines Adams and Washington Alan Branch. Minnesotta has said they wont go WR in Round 1, and they take Anderson. Houston then takes Landry, Miami takes Quinn, Atlanta takes Brown, and SF takes Okoye.

So our pick? LB Patrick Willis, its a good solid pick and he will be a good player.

patmoran2006
03-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Here are my issues;

I know the press like Quinn at 2, but Matt Millen is unpredictable and I think he goes with the sensible pick of Joe Thomas. Arizona then takes Gaines Adams and Washington Alan Branch. Minnesotta has said they wont go WR in Round 1, and they take Anderson. Houston then takes Landry, Miami takes Quinn, Atlanta takes Brown, and SF takes Okoye.

So our pick? LB Patrick Willis, its a good solid pick and he will be a good player.
Could very well be right. I said at end of my post I think the pick will be Willis too.

But didnt Detroit just acquire a Denver OT in that Bly trade and of course they have Brackus.

I dunno, you could be right about everything else, but I think Millen is going to surprise a couple of people and take Quinn.. Kitna can only get you so far and its a good off the field selection as well. I definitely dont think anymore he is going to last til 9 (miami)..

jdbillsfan
03-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Here are my issues;

I agree with your mock. Just so hard to predict what crazy Marv is gonna do.

Dr. Lecter
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
alright.. Maybe my assessment of Kelsay is harsh, there are definitely worse DE's in the NFL. And a person he is a good team player; he works hard, he doesnt take plays off and he's well liked in the locker room.

But the problem with this defense, as its been with the offense for years, is up front. We've had plenty of great LB's (Bennett, Conlan, Paup, Fletcher, Spikes, Spielman just to name a few)

But the only time this defense has been dominant is when we've had a dominant DL up front. When Ted Wasington and Pat Williams were the DT's, we were dominant. Same with Sam Adams. Phil Hansen was underated and was one hell of a two-way DE. And of course, Bruce Smith.

Jamal Anderson is a blue chipper, and I hear tons of comparisons go guys like Will Smith.;

Kelsay is simply weak against the run, and the best thing this defense could do to make them better is find a better DE that's not only good pass rushing. Its even more important than LB IMO.

There's a decent chance he's not even on the board anyway, but I'm most upset that Levy was satisfied with our DL from last year; because even if not ANderson; then Carriker or Johnson would've been great additions to our front four over Kelsay.

I don't think one can conclude he was happy with the DL. He has been clear that the run defense has to improve. And since FA/drafting has not been finished there is still room to improve.

Looking at the class of FA DE's Kelsay was # 2 in most rankings (behind Kearney). So, I think he took the best available route and locked him up. The crop of FA LB's was an odd one; there were guys like Thomas and Briggs as potential FA's (and the surprise of Porter), but limited solid, non bank breaking guys.

If they don't resign Kelsay and Anderson is not available, they are screwed. The most cautious and safest approach was to keep Kelsay and draft Willis (or somebdy like SIler in round 2) knowing that the risk of them being gone is less than Anderson being gone.

And while I agree on the DL, lets be honest; Bruce made that line and made Hansen look better than he was (although he was still very good). And the LB's on that team (Conlan, Talley, Bennet) were not weak and one could argue were better as a group than the DL. This is also a different scheme, so some comparisons are not point on.

Gunzlingr
03-07-2007, 11:03 AM
NFL Radio has been saying Detroit will take Thomas at 2 on pretty much all their shows. They said the Bly trade for Foster is more of a depth move. :idunno:

mysticsoto
03-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Could very well be right. I said at end of my post I think the pick will be Willis too.

But didnt Detroit just acquire a Denver OT in that Bly trade and of course they have Brackus.

I dunno, you could be right about everything else, but I think Millen is going to surprise a couple of people and take Quinn.. Kitna can only get you so far and its a good off the field selection as well. I definitely dont think anymore he is going to last til 9 (miami)..

I agree with you. The more I see what Detroit has done, the more I think they want a franchise QB of the future.

I wouldn't lock down Russell going to the Raiders. They didn't seem to like him at the combine. The Raiders might be waiting to see if KC releases Trent Green or see what they do with him. Trent Green would be an instant upgrade for them and they then could choose Calvin Johnson who they seem to like. They will likely then go Oline for the 2nd and maybe even 3rd pick! As there are some good guards that could upgrade them...