• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Any Vet RB Signed Is A Bridge/Backup To A High Draft Pick

Everyone is parroting the same skeptical opinion about Chris Brown, Rhodes, Dillion and any other Vet RB we may be looking at. Durability, age, effectiveness. It's understood by all, believe me.

These guys are nothing more than an experienced insurance policy to either this Aprils Draft, which has a couple good possibilities, or the RB loaded 2008 Draft.

So at worse, a vet starts for a year until the next big rookie arrives. There's probably a good chance we take a RB on Day 1 this April and again the next year, then dumping the Vet we'll sign this spring.

If we sign Chris Brown today, fine. He's a " just in case " plan until the young guns arrive and start contributing.

Relax and think further ahead than dinner tonight. The big picture.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • evol4276
    • Oct 2005

Re: Any Vet RB Signed Is A Bridge/Backup To A High Draft Pick

id hope so.. none of those guys formentioned are start-worthy really anymore. I mean there could be some life left in Dillon, which I doubt, and Rhoads and Brown I dont believe have ever been classed full-time starters ever.. but if drafting a rb early and grabbing one of these guys is the plan im up for it just to see how it pans out for us

Comment

• evol4276
      • Oct 2005

plus all those backs have been part of 2-back systems.. which I could see us possibly doing this next year ala-Patriots if we're lucky enough to scout a back like Maroney

Comment

• Don't Panic
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
        Everyone is parroting the same skeptical opinion about Chris Brown, Rhodes, Dillion and any other Vet RB we may be looking at. Durability, age, effectiveness. It's understood by all, believe me.

These guys are nothing more than an experienced insurance policy to either this Aprils Draft, which has a couple good possibilities, or the RB loaded 2008 Draft.

So at worse, a vet starts for a year until the next big rookie arrives. There's probably a good chance we take a RB on Day 1 this April and again the next year, then dumping the Vet we'll sign this spring.

If we sign Chris Brown today, fine. He's a " just in case " plan until the young guns arrive and start contributing.

Relax and think further ahead than dinner tonight. The big picture.
        I'm with you... I just hope that if this guy is a stop-gap, we don't sign him to a 5 year deal (with a 5 year sized signing bonus).

Comment

Working...
        X