PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper Chat on ESPN 03/07/07

The Answer
03-07-2007, 03:05 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=14891

Coach Tuesday: Mel, does Marshawn Lynch have too upright of a running style for the NFL?

Mel Kiper: No. You look at upright - it can be overrated at times. There are some upright runners that have had some success in the league. He was productive this year. He went over 1,300 yards. He runs hard. I worry more about his style. He's so physical. He has so much contact. You have to worry about durability and longevity. He's tough to get to the ground. This past year, he was much more effective catching the ball. He's not quite as big as I projected him to be, but he's strong. This kid has talent.

John (Madison): Okoye's buzz has cooled since the Senior Bowl - is he still a #10-#15 pick?

Mel Kiper: I don't think there's a lot of buzz right now, because there's not a lot going on. He's strong, with great quickness. He's still in the top 15. I've thought that all along. You could be looking at Buffalo. I think he's one of the best 10 players in this draft.

Nick (Bensalem, PA): If Okoye were gone, would Alan Branch be able to play in Buffalo's Cover 2?

Mel Kiper: First of all, as far as the DT, Alan Branch is a very versatile athlete. You think he's just a space eater, but he's a very athletic kid. He did 33 reps at the combine, ran just over 5.0 at the combine. The only reason he's not a top 10 pick is because of his production. He did not make enough plays to guarantee him a spot in the top 15. He needed to dominate against the run more than he did. The production just wasn't there. You kept waiting for it, but the production never matched the physical ability. His performance put him between 15 and 25.

Jerry (washington, DC): How does all of the running back movement effect the drafting of A.Peterson and M. Lynch?

Mel Kiper: Well, in terms of the teams that are at the top. The Lions, for instance, they've added Tatum Bell. Is he a big-time RB? No, but they need help at other places. They've added an OT and DE. They could be looking at, ironically, Calvin Johnson and Brady Quinn. They've had the history of drafting WRs, but they still have a need at WR. Peterson still looks to me as an ideal pick for the Cleveland Browns.

Brad (Winona, MN): where do you think the HB from Louisville Bush will go in this years draft? Is he a second round talent?

Mel Kiper: He's a first-round talent, based on how he performed at Louisville. The problem with him is that he wasn't ready to work out at the combine. He was at 243 pounds at the combine. I had him projected to be 250. What he has to do is to get back to where he can work out. He needs to show teams that he can be back to work out at training camp. He may go later in the draft because he has to show that he'll be ready. The medical is going to have to come back positive. If everything comes back, then he might be a second round pick

~The Answer

patmoran2006
03-07-2007, 03:37 PM
If Okoye is gone.. I think its a coin flip between Patrick Willis and Lynch.

Tatonka
03-07-2007, 04:57 PM
man.. if we could get okoye in the 1st and bush in the 2nd, i wouldnt care if we got another pick.

The Spaz
03-07-2007, 05:00 PM
man.. if we could get okoye in the 1st and bush in the 2nd, i wouldnt care if we got another pick.

That would make my day as well!:up:

B-DON
03-07-2007, 07:18 PM
if we have a shot at him in the third i will I dont know what i would do but i would be super geeked

Saratoga Slim
03-07-2007, 07:22 PM

You got it.

ShadowHawk7
03-07-2007, 08:58 PM
I'd take Okoye, Siler, then a RB in the 3rd instead.

tampabay25690
03-07-2007, 09:08 PM
I'd take Okoye, Siler, then a RB in the 3rd instead.

Thats ideal

patmoran2006
03-07-2007, 09:40 PM
I do agree..

Okoye and Bush would make my entire draft; anything else is just the gravy.

DraftBoy
03-07-2007, 09:43 PM
It would be a great start but we still have way too many holes to fill after our 1st two picks

Tatonka
03-07-2007, 10:34 PM
damn it, DB.. i didnt mean it literally.. stop ****ting on my parade!

:eek:

mysticsoto
03-08-2007, 08:51 AM
With Cleveland taking Lewis, the possibility of Adrian Peterson falling to us increases dramatically. Despite our holes, if Adrian falls to us, I think we have to take him!!!

Ed
03-08-2007, 11:03 AM
If Okoye is gone.. I think its a coin flip between Patrick Willis and Lynch.
I think it also depends what we still do in free agency. If we can bring some decent RB's to carry the load for one season, it might be worth waiting until next year to draft a RB since it will supposedly be a strong and deep class. If we somehow land Briggs, I don't think we have a need for Willis anymore as we could just slide Crowell to the middle and look to upgrade our other OLB spot in rounds 2 and 3.

I'm in absolute agreement though, that we take Okoye at #12 if he's there no matter what.

Ed
03-08-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm also suprised by Kiper's comments about Alan Branch. I thought he was a definite top 10. Is he really projected now to be a 15-25 guy? I didn't realize there were any concerns about his production.