PDA

View Full Version : For all of you who say LB, RB, or CB with our first pick

Tatonka
03-07-2007, 07:25 PM
does anyone find it ironic that all we have heard about is how this defense does not need a top flight superstar at CB, as they are not required to lock up man to man as often. so why would we take a CB with our first?

anyone happen to notice the kind of player we got in ellison, in the 6th round? why would you spend a 1st on a LB when cover 2 LBs can be the lighter fast guys that fall some in the draft?

and then we invest a 100 million buck in our offensive line in the last two years.. ANY running back should be able to get through the holes this line SHOULD make. Mikey should be able to suit up and play and still get 3.5-4 yards a carry.

after thinking about it..

i think we are going DT(okoye or branch) or WR (ginn or bowe) or free saftey (landry).

DT and Saftey are the two most important positions on this defense from a availability to skill ratio.

WR is really the only thing to address on offense, since they seem happy with royal, that requires high skill.

maybe i am way off, but the tatonka doesnt think so. :snicker:

Pinkerton Security
03-07-2007, 07:27 PM
does anyone find it ironic that all we have heard about is how this defense does not need a top flight superstar at CB, as they are not required to lock up man to man as often. so why would we take a CB with our first?

anyone happen to notice the kind of player we got in ellison, in the 6th round? why would you spend a 1st on a LB when cover 2 LBs can be the lighter fast guys that fall some in the draft?

and then we invest a 100 million buck in our offensive line in the last two years.. ANY running back should be able to get through the holes this line SHOULD make. Mikey should be able to suit up and play and still get 3.5-4 yards a carry.

i think we are going DT(okoye or branch) or WR (ginn or bowe) or free saftey (landry).

DT and Saftey are the two most important positions on this defense from a availability to skill ratio.

WR is really the only thing to address on offense, since they seem happy with royal, that requires high skill.

Safety? even after we have whitner and ko?

Saratoga Slim
03-07-2007, 07:34 PM

I think there's an extremely good chance we take Okoye if he's there at 12. I hear what you're saying on the importance of Safety over CB in this defense, but I don't think there's any way we draft a safety high in this draft. I think they like Ko and Donte, and we won't spend a high pick on a backup

DraftBoy
03-07-2007, 07:35 PM

I think your looking at the LB posistion too simply, bc the OLB's need to be quick and fast, but the MLB must also be able to shed blockers with consistency. So we still have a good need for a new MLB, but there is plenty of help at that posistion; Willis, Siler, DeRossio, etc...

At WR why would we take Ginn? He is the most bust likely player in this draft imo. He has little exp at WR, his route running is plain ugly, and his hands are still in question. He also does not go over the middle. Dwayne Bowe or Dwayne Jarrett are the guys Id take and neither would be at 12. As for DT, I agree with you there. Also dont sell the selection of Brown at RT short, Levy may have not seen what he wanted to from Butler and Pennington and thinks that with Levi falling he is the BPA. Also I dont see FS as a need whatsoever.

RedEyE
03-07-2007, 07:40 PM
I still say corner. The amount of excellent corners in this draft are plenty. The Bills might not need a man-to-man corner that can jam a WR up and down the field, but that doesn't mean that they aren't going to sign a stellar cover 2 guy to fit their scheme.

Let's face it, the Bills are headed into next season with McGee, Youboty, Greer and Thomas. McGee was hardly an image of his former self last year and Youboty didn't even put in a full season.

They need another corner to fill out the depth chart and pulling one in the 1st round of the draft would surely bounce that individual to the top of the chart. The rest of the guys are purely depth and will play for the second and third corner positions.

I still say corner round 1.

SquishDaFish
03-07-2007, 07:41 PM
ID be happy with Okoye and Bush in rd 2

DraftBoy
03-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I still say corner. The amount of excellent corners in this draft plenty. The Bills might no need a man-to-man corner that can jam a WR up and down the field, but that doesn't mean that they aren't going to sign a stellar cover 2 guy to fit the scheme.

Let's face it, the Bills are headed into next season with McGee, Youboty, Greer and Thomas. McGee was hardly an image of his former self last year and Youboty didn't even put in a full season last year.

They need another corner to fill out the depth chart and pulling one in the 1st round of the draft would surely bounce that individual to the top of the chart. The rest of the guys are purely depth and will play for the second and third corner positions.

I still say corner round 1.

None of the corners in the draft imo are ready to be starters and none of the high grades ones are really all that consistent. This CB class scares me to be honest.

RedEyE
03-07-2007, 07:45 PM
None of the corners in the draft imo are ready to be starters and none of the high grades ones are really all that consistent. This CB class scares me to be honest.

You're the draft guru, but I disagree. There are at least 5-6 that are 1st round material (IMO) and more than half have the potential to start day one.

OpIv37
03-07-2007, 07:50 PM

ellison isn't bad, but we need a playmaker at LB who can step it up right away. With Witner and Simpson last year and both Greer and Wire re-signing, I highly doubt we go S.

The DL needs serious help so I would like to see a DT as the pick. I wouldn't be opposed to a receiver, but I just think DT and LB are bigger needs at the moment.

I agree that the FO seems to be happy with Royal- I'm just not sure WHY. The guy drops passes, commits penalties and has no clutch ability.

X-Era
03-07-2007, 07:52 PM

The answer just asked himself a question. Hes now caught in a neverending loop. Ever wonder how many of him there is in there?

DraftBoy
03-07-2007, 07:55 PM
You're the draft guru, but I disagree. There are at least 5-6 that are 1st round material (IMO) and more than half have the potential to start day one.

I dont see it to be honest, and Im not guru, I simply have an opinion and you guys are nice enough to let me express it and take it with some semblance of credibility. Thank you for that.

Revis-He had an up and down senior season and he has holes in his game, his speed and footwork are issues that must be corrected in his transition

Hall-Smoked by Jarrett, Ginn, and Gonzalez, if you saw those games you saw his problems

McCauley-Great pure Cover 2 Zone guy, but I dont know that we dont ever go to a man up with the Cover 2 blanket over top.

Houston-Young, inexperienced, but tons of talent. Needs time.

Ross-Recovery is a big issue for him, and his inability to recognize double moves is quite concerning.

Thats the only 1st Round CB's I have

ShadowHawk7
03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Oh wow. How would this oline look?
Peters-Dock-Fowler-Walker-Joe Brown (12th pick)

Our line would be the ****. I never had thought of that before. With a likely extra 2nd, we could still cover up on LB, DT, and RB in the first day of the draft.
My goodness, we would be set.

goodkarma
03-07-2007, 09:30 PM
No way we take a safety at #12 and the only WR worth taking is Calvin, and he won't be around past the top 5.

I say LB, CB or DT, in that order.

patmoran2006
03-07-2007, 09:37 PM
I think Bowe is the 2nd best WR in the draft after Johnson..

If Okoye is there, we ARE taking him.
I wouldnt be upset with Lynch, nor Willis, though if we're taking a LB first I'd rather move down..

I absolutely agree with you 100% about NOT taking a CB in round one.

Tatonka
03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
my point about LB is that Crowell is our new MLB.. we are looking for an outside guy, imho.

now if they move spikes i could see a bigger need, but i just think they are not scared to look later in the draft to fill the LB need.

same with CB.. i am SURE we will take a CB.. but i just dont think an early CB is needed, and they do feel they got a 1st round guy in the 3rd round last year.. i done see them taking one early.

you guys can say all you want that we dont need a saftey, but Ko showed plenty of reasons why he was a 4th round draft pick last season. i am not saying he is awful, but i also dont think they wouldnt take a guy like landry just because they have a 4th round pick at saftey.. and your kidding yourself if you think they are not looking to get better at every position. landry is a superstar waiting to happen. if he is there at 12, he is the best available player left at that point.. better than okoye (that is not an insult to okoye).. the only guy i see being more of a sure shot than landry is calvin..

and i said wr.. and mentioned ginn.. i dont mean him specifically.. i am not a big fan of his either.. i am just talking about in general, one of the top wrs and he is considered one of them. i love calvin, and would not be mad at a trade up for him.. i also like bowe alot..

and in my opinion, while i would like to have lynch, i dont see him as being a marv guy.. like jj said.. the guy was on the radio, and he makes edgerine james seem like a speech therapist.. he did remind me of a miami player.. he is pretty sure he is a superstar already.. someone said it would feel like we are trading mcgahee to get another mcgahee.. now i am not ready to label lynch mcgahee in that i am sure he has the heart.. and the thing is, there are a lot of good running backs in this draft.. there is bush, there is irons, booker, ect..

even DT.. i cant say the BILLS feel they need one real bad after taking mccargo in the 1st and getting tripplett, but who knows.

baalworship
03-07-2007, 10:38 PM
I really hope a DT worthy of the 12th pick is there. If not look to trade down and stock up on picks.

MTBillsFan
03-07-2007, 11:14 PM
We moved up last year to get McCargo. He'll be back and that's like having another 1st round pick this year, IF McGahee gets moved and Lynch is there you almost have to pick him

Night Train
03-08-2007, 05:42 AM

Thank you. I believe you could toss the top 12 names in a hat and pick any of them. Hall doesn't stick out at all.

X-Era
03-08-2007, 06:12 AM
I dont see it to be honest, and Im not guru, I simply have an opinion and you guys are nice enough to let me express it and take it with some semblance of credibility. Thank you for that.

Revis-He had an up and down senior season and he has holes in his game, his speed and footwork are issues that must be corrected in his transition

Hall-Smoked by Jarrett, Ginn, and Gonzalez, if you saw those games you saw his problems

McCauley-Great pure Cover 2 Zone guy, but I dont know that we dont ever go to a man up with the Cover 2 blanket over top.

Houston-Young, inexperienced, but tons of talent. Needs time.

Ross-Recovery is a big issue for him, and his inability to recognize double moves is quite concerning.

Thats the only 1st Round CB's I have

You are VERY right on the CB's. I didnt watch enough Mich to have a good read on how he plays against NFL level WR talent. I take your word for it. To be honest, I havent ever put him in the class of Woodson. I just felt he had to be decent from Mich, and then he had a good combine. Knowing that, I say no.

I really think that if Youbouty were in this class, we might be talking about him as a mid 1st rounder. I think its a weak class, maybe we are better of giving Youbouty the reigns for now. Thats scary considering the lack of experience, but isnt that what we would be getting with a new draftee?

You may have changed my mind enough for me to say forget CB in round one, maybe two, maybe even day one, although if you could land a Houston in round 3, he has the measurables, why not?

To me its now become a two horse race if we stay at 12. Its Lynch or Okoye. I like Willis, but not so much at 12. My dark horse would be a Ginn Jr. or Jarrett.

Tatonka
03-08-2007, 06:24 AM
actually, houston is the rawest probably, but also played awesome. he pretty much contained jarrett, meachum, ginn/gonzolas, and one other one i cant think of.. i heard that on sirus tonight by gill brandt.. he was saying he clearly felt that houston was the most talented and will be a dominant corner. but again, he is raw.

he is not the 12 overall pick. i know that.

User Manuel
03-08-2007, 07:13 AM
The Bills went to the superbowl four times with CB's named JD Williams and Kirby Jackson. A pass rush makes CBs a lot better than they are.

I agree with almost everything Tatonka says. The only difference I think is that you use the draft to add speed and special talents if they are there. So if an exceptional CB, LB or RB is there then you grab them. Otherwise you load up on quality DT and DE.

In this draft I think Marshawn Lynch might fit this Bill (no pun intended). I think he qualifies as a special talent. I am not sold on any of the CB or WR. Alot of people really like Willis but I don't know enough about him to judge either way.

I guess it comes to this in my mind:
Branch, Okoye or Lynch (maybe Willis) assuming they are available.

alohabillsfan
03-08-2007, 07:28 AM
My Take, if Okoye is there we take him, he will grow into the dominant 1 tech we need! The d-line rotation of Tripp/Mcargo and Okoye/Williams. This will also help out the DE's and safties. Just like Marv said about the O-line "improve the O-line and it makes the QB, RB's and WR's better and allows the TE to get involved in the passing game vice staying in for protection.

Now if Okoye is not there we should entertain trading down no other player is worth it IMO, Lynch is a possibility but with the impending trade of WM and signing of atleast 1 most likly 2 FA I would prfer that we take a L. Booker later and draft 1 from the loaded 2008 draft.

After trading down we could still get Willis, Siler, Bowe, Meecham, Timmons.

If we do miss out on Okoye we could always snag M. Thomas in the 3rd and yes he has a character issues but get him to Buffalo and have a vet mentor him. He is a great great talent and most likely would have been a top 10 pick!

DraftBoy
03-08-2007, 07:41 AM
he is not the 12 overall pick. i know that.

Hold that thought, bc after his combine he shot up to early 2nd/low 1st projection and he's one of the hottest prospects right now in the draft. Ive seen us mocked taking him, these arent from legit sites but from fans. Im not saying I support that but dont be hasty there Houston may end up being the #1 CB in this class for the reasons you listed. If we pick him up and we can replace Toast with Youboty, I would love to see us run the traditional man up Cover 2 umbrella, which should provide our safeties the scheme in which I think they will excel. Add in Siler in the 2nd round, and a back (Antonio Pittman?) in the 3rd, and then a WR in the 4th named Jacoby Jones from Lane University, give us a DT in the 6th Deljuan Robinson from Miss St would be nice, and then in the 7th Id take a DE like Xsavia Jackson from Mizzou.

1. CB Houston
2. LB Siler
3. RB Pittman
4. WR Jones
6. DT Robinson
7. DE Jackson

That fills a good bit of our needs

Tatonka
03-08-2007, 10:38 AM
if they take houston, the BETTER trade down. thats all i have to say about that.

i am not big on guys that increase their value dramatically by working out well.

EDS
03-08-2007, 10:51 AM
I am thinking either Branch, Okoye, Willis or Carriker at 12.

mysticsoto
03-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Hold that thought, bc after his combine he shot up to early 2nd/low 1st projection and he's one of the hottest prospects right now in the draft. Ive seen us mocked taking him, these arent from legit sites but from fans. Im not saying I support that but dont be hasty there Houston may end up being the #1 CB in this class for the reasons you listed. If we pick him up and we can replace Toast with Youboty, I would love to see us run the traditional man up Cover 2 umbrella, which should provide our safeties the scheme in which I think they will excel. Add in Siler in the 2nd round, and a back (Antonio Pittman?) in the 3rd, and then a WR in the 4th named Jacoby Jones from Lane University, give us a DT in the 6th Deljuan Robinson from Miss St would be nice, and then in the 7th Id take a DE like Xsavia Jackson from Mizzou.

1. CB Houston
2. LB Siler
3. RB Pittman
4. WR Jones
6. DT Robinson
7. DE Jackson

That fills a good bit of our needs

I would be extremely disappointed if we draft Houston in the 1st rd. I don't want a CB in the 1st rd period!!! And to leave DT to the 6th would be horrible also - although now we have an extra 3rd and 7th to use which you can change to grab a DT in the 3rd.

In my opinion, the 1st has to be ranked and picked in the order of the following:

Peterson (RB) - A super speed elite RB!
Branch (DT) - A large behemoth specimen, but may have to be molded to play the 1-gap
Okoye (DT) - Fast, stout against the run and likely to develop even more in the next few years
Willis (ILB) - super fast, big, hard hitting monster.

If I am GM, these are my only considerations for rd 1.

DraftBoy
03-08-2007, 12:32 PM
if they take houston, the BETTER trade down. thats all i have to say about that.

i am not big on guys that increase their value dramatically by working out well.

You said it yourself, its not just his workouts his game film is impressive, and the reason he's getting noticed so much is because of Jamaal Anderson, people are watching alot of Arkansas game film and as result, he is getting noticed. He is the only CB to have really shut down opposing teams WR's this year on a consistent basis. I dont like him at 12 either, but he may creap into the top 15 by draft day.

DraftBoy
03-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I would be extremely disappointed if we draft Houston in the 1st rd. I don't want a CB in the 1st rd period!!! And to leave DT to the 6th would be horrible also - although now we have an extra 3rd and 7th to use which you can change to grab a DT in the 3rd.

In my opinion, the 1st has to be ranked and picked in the order of the following:

Peterson (RB) - A super speed elite RB!
Branch (DT) - A large behemoth specimen, but may have to be molded to play the 1-gap
Okoye (DT) - Fast, stout against the run and likely to develop even more in the next few years
Willis (ILB) - super fast, big, hard hitting monster.

If I am GM, these are my only considerations for rd 1.

I agree leaving DT till the 6th isnt a great idea but we have pressing needs at RB now that must be filled along with a need for a WR since our FA target Bennett already signed. CB in the 1st round is looking more and more like a reality since we are bringing in no FA's to even visit (and yes I know its early still). As for your list, I can see Willis and Branch/Okoye being there, but Im not sold that we would pass on Adam Carriker, at 290 he can play DT, and also play end. Which would really help us out alot. Adding this third and seventh rounder really do alot for draft possibilities. Hopefully we get a 6th atleast comp wise.

Tatonka
03-08-2007, 12:38 PM
this defense does not need a top flight draft pick to play cb.. and houston is not a big guy.. how is he going to hold up to the run?

i just dont see them replacing youboty before the season start with another rookie that will just be the same spot youboty was last year.

if we start a true rookie at cb this year, we are in trouble.

DraftBoy
03-08-2007, 12:44 PM
this defense does not need a top flight draft pick to play cb.. and houston is not a big guy.. how is he going to hold up to the run?

i just dont see them replacing youboty before the season start with another rookie that will just be the same spot youboty was last year.

if we start a true rookie at cb this year, we are in trouble.

I agree, Im just saying this guy is flying up draft boards, I like him in the 2nd.

Though these negatives really stand out in the glaring red;
"Doesn't show as much interest in run support as he should. He is satisfied to let his teammates make plays versus the run instead of going out of his way to get involved. He's more physical in coverage than he is in run support. He needs to do a better job of getting off blocks and with his pursuit angles. Misses too many open-field tackles."

DraftBoy
03-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Ideally my draft would be;
1. DE Carriker
2. LB Siler
3a. CB Wright
3b. WR Jones
4. RB Henry
6. DT Robinson
7a. TE Celek
7b. CB Coe

mysticsoto
03-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Ideally my draft would be;
1. DE Carriker
2. LB Siler
3a. CB Wright
3b. WR Jones
4. RB Henry
6. DT Robinson
7a. TE Celek
7b. CB Coe

I have 2 I'm debating for my ideal:

1. DT - Okoye
2. ILB - Siler
3a. RB- Booker
3b. CB - Brown
4. WR - Brandon Myles
6. DE - Jacob Ford
7a. OLB - Chad Nkang
7b. S - Roderick Rogers

or

1. ILB - Willis
2. RB - Bush
3a. DT - Tyler
3b. CB - Brown
4. WR - Brandon Myles
6. DE - Jacob Ford
7a. OLB - Chad Nkang
7b. S - Roderick Rogers

The more I think about it, the more I'm liking the 2nd choices. Bush as our main RB this year and as a backup next year alongside a Franchise RB in '08 will be tremendous!!! And we'll have our monster middle LB! Tank Tyler in rd 3 will probably still be a step up and beat Anderson for a roster spot!!! Tarrell Brown at 3b is an intriguing prospect and is probably very underrated right now. He might have character issues, but hopefully Marv would sit him down and let him know this is his chance and he can be stupid and stick to his old life or start anew like his murdered mother might want him to do...if we get Myles in the 4th, that'd be great, a 6'3" prospect to develop as we dump the dead weight for WRs that we have...the rest would be backups that could hopefully contribute in STs and develop.